What's a Good Peacemaker Clone?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Peacemaker Clone??

Nalapombu
03-20-2012, 01:34
Hey all,

I fondled a Colt Peacemaker in a shop the other day and WOW, would I love to own one. I have always wanted one, but never had the chance to really handle, work the action and admire one until I got down here in Texas. It was a nickel version in 45LC with the 4 5/8 barrel. BEAUTIFUL is all I can say. Sadly it is out of my price range at $1499.

So I started thinking about other alternatives to the Colt that are less expensive. I know US Firearms makes some awfully nice clones and some say they would rather have one of their pistols than a new version Colt. I don't know enough to be able to make that claim though. I do know they are also pricey with the most affordable version being the Rodeo at about $650 or so. That could be a possibility for me, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on what else is out there that's worth a look.

All of the Cowboy gun companies like Uberti, Taylors, EAA, Cimarron, EMF, Beretta, and so on make Peacemaker clones. The problem is that how do you know one is better than the others? From what I have heard they are all made in Italy and finished over here. So is one any better than the other?

If you were going to get a Peacemaker clone and you were limited to say $400 to $600, which one would you get?

I would like one in 4 5/8 barrel, 45 Colt or 44 Special, finish doesn't matter so much. I also don't want something I have to baby and watch what ammo I put in it. I don't want something that is recommended for those "Cowboy" loads that are damn near like squibs. I'm not going to be running Buffalo Bore full house 45Colt through it, but you get the idea, I think. I would like to be able to take it along when I go bowhunting for hogs just in case I would hit him bad or some other occurrence.

Lastly, I know many would recommend the Ruger New Vaquero. I would like to have one of those too. But I want a Peacemaker clone first. I love those 4 clicks you hear when cocking that hammer.

What would you spend your money on??

Thanks for the help and your time.

Nalajr

Oh, pics are definitely welcome if you want to post them. We all LOVE pics.

byf43
03-20-2012, 05:46
GREAT post!!!

I'm interested in getting a Peacemaker Clone, too. Just don't know enough about 'em, or which one is best.
(I'm not a Ruger fan, so, their single actions are 'out'.)

TN.Frank
03-20-2012, 05:53
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/
These folks make a pretty good one.
http://www.emf-company.com/
These aren't bad either.
OR you could just get a "modern" version in a Ruger Blackhawk with the transfer bar so you can safely load 6.
Still, nothing feels like the original. :supergrin:

rvrctyrngr
03-20-2012, 05:54
Lots of folks seem to really like the Uberti Cattleman series of 1873 clones. I have no personal experience with them, but have seen a metric crap-ton of them at my club (lotsa Cowboy shooters there).

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single-action-cattleman.php

Filhar
03-20-2012, 07:54
EMFs Great Western IIs are fantastic for the money. They are clones of the 2nd generation Colts. I've got 2 pair for main match SASS guns. 1 pair of Stainless and a pair that they discontinued that have real case-hardening from Turnbull and birdshead grips. Call EMF and ask if they have any deals and tell them what you're looking for. I'll try to get some pictures up.

OUSooner
03-20-2012, 08:01
I'm not big on Rugers for the reason the OP stated. I have several Uberti's and they are really good guns for the money. Stay away from the Berreata as it has a firing pin safety.

DocCasualty
03-20-2012, 08:10
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/
These folks make a pretty good one.

I have a Cimarron Thunderer with is their '73 mated with a bird's head grip and consider it a quality revolver. At their base, Cimarrons are Uberti made, though specifically for Cimarron and have a better fit and finish.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm276/DocCasualty/firearms002.jpg

Victoriagotagun
03-20-2012, 10:38
The clones are pretty much made by two companies...Uberti and Pietta. The only difference is fit and finish and a lot of them are offering "race ready" versions for CAS. You really can't go wrong with any of them including the US Firearms Rodeo.

Uberti = Beretta, Cimarron, and Taylor.

Pietta = EMF.

I'm not sure who is making them for EAA.

redrick
03-20-2012, 15:15
The best clone is the USFA and will cost the most. Since you don't care about the finish the Rodeo would be my choice, for around $650 used.

I would also look at:
Taylor's Smoke Wagon
Cimarron Arms Evil Roy
Uberti EL Patron

They can all be had for around $600 new and are the top of the line Uberti's.

I have been looking at them for a while and was going to get a clone , but now I have decided on waiting for a Colt.

01coltcolt
03-20-2012, 15:53
Ive had:
Uberti
Cimarron
I know they dont count cause of the bar safety but:
Ruger Vaqueros
Beretta stampede

Hands down Uberti! Cimarron was a close 2nd.

MLittle
03-20-2012, 16:47
There is no substitute for the original. I investigated the USFA 1873's and by the time you get done with the finish, grips, etc. they cost just about the same as a Colt. I ordered a new Colt SAA, 4.75in barrel, blue model, 45 Colt in December of last year and couldn't be happier. It cost me about $1,200. I'd save my money and get the real thing. And yes......I do shoot it. It's very accurate and shoots to point of aim. I reload my own 45 Colt cartidges and don't shoot cowboy loads (8 gr. of Unique). I also own a Ruger Vaquero in stainless with 4 5/8 barrel, also in 45 Colt. It has nearly identical dimensions to the Colt, but of course the action is modern with a safety transfer bar. I put stag grips on it and it's a real beauty. Love them both but really love the Colt. I don't gave anything against Uberti clones, in fact I'm considering buying a Winchester 1873 carbine clone, also in 45 Colt to go along with my Colt SAA.

PlasticGuy
03-20-2012, 18:37
There are some good copies coming out of Italy. I can't argue that point. However, my preference is for Ruger. They are great quality, tough as nails, and accurate. It doesn't have the mystique of a Colt, but it feels nearly as good and shoots better for 1/3 the price.

banger
03-20-2012, 19:18
Good thread...

I have wondered about the Beretta Stampede for some time.

Never did get a straight answer though.

PlasticGuy
03-20-2012, 19:27
Good thread...

I have wondered about the Beretta Stampede for some time.

Never did get a straight answer though.

As mentioned, Beretta doesn't make it. It is made for them. Save $50 by just buying a Uberti straight from the factory.

Caver 60
03-20-2012, 21:04
Got one clone and three old model Rugers which still have clicks. But even then the old model Ruger hammers don't have that 'spur.' Still have to load five, if you're going to carry it hunting, etc. But I wouldn't let the Rugers be 'modified' for anything.

bac1023
03-20-2012, 21:10
Uberti revolvers are nice replicas for the price.

Nalapombu
03-20-2012, 21:50
Thanks all for the info. I have checked out a few of the models you all suggested and to me, they all look great. Those Taylor's Smoke Wagons are really nice.

What I am unclear about is that most of these clones are made by Uberti in Italy. Take the Smoke Wagons. What makes them better than the Uberti branded version? The Smoke Wagons have nice grips, but is that it? Do they have an action job on them or something? If we are talking about just basic clones, nothing added to them or souped up, what makes a Uberti better or worse than say a standard EMF that is also made by Uberti and shipped to them for them to put their name on?

Lastly, I have been told that the USFA Rodeo is the SAME exact pistol as their 1873 Deluxe versions that are priced at more than 1K. The more expensive versions have better grips and deluxe finishes on them. If all these other clones are at the $600 level, I would probably just wait a month and add another $75 and get the Rodeo. Would you all think the best choice if you were going to be at the $600 level would be the Rodeo rather than one of the Italian clones?

Thanks again.

Nalajr

Nalapombu
03-20-2012, 22:00
One other thing, I WILL have a Ruger New Vaquero after I get a Peacemaker. Then I want a Ruger Flat top blackhawk in 44Special with one of the Powers Grip frames to make it like a Keith #5. That would be my ideal hog hunting companion. If you have never seen one you owe it to yourself to check one out. They are absolutely beautiful wheelguns. The Power grip frame is kinda pricey though but it beats sending it to Linebaugh and having him do his magic on it to turn it into an Improved Keith #5. Of course the home job with the added grip frame cannot come close to comparing to the full house custom by John Linebaugh, but you aren't paying $4,000 for it either. Check 'em out if you like wheelguns. I'll post pics I have collected if anyone else is interested in seeing them.

Nalajr

sns3guppy
03-21-2012, 00:32
Not a clone and unloved by the purists, but I really do like Vaqueros. The New Vaquero with the smaller xr3 grip frame is a great six shooter, and frankly I don't mind not having a firing pin on the hammer. I like the transfer bar safety.

redcat11
03-21-2012, 15:48
I have a Colt Peachmaker, but I also have a Ruger New Vaquero, and overall the fit and finish it is pretty close, I did some research for the Ruger, come to find out the numbers of Rugers sold was more than the Colt Peacemaker in its hay day, lot of cowboy action shooters utilize the Ruger due to its rugedness and ease of shooting.

Nalapombu
03-21-2012, 16:16
Oh I have nothing against the New Vaquero, I like them. I don't think I have handled one though. I plan on owning one someday. I would just like to get a Peacemaker first.

Nalajr

01coltcolt
03-21-2012, 16:42
I have a Colt Peachmaker, but I also have a Ruger New Vaquero, and overall the fit and finish it is pretty close, I did some research for the Ruger, come to find out the numbers of Rugers sold was more than the Colt Peacemaker in its hay day, lot of cowboy action shooters utilize the Ruger due to its rugedness and ease of shooting.

Sam Colt would roll over in his grave if he saw my grips. But I like my Ruger Vaquero .45 LC:) and my Uberti Lightning:

Both great shooters:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/v2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/v12.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/DSCF0012.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/DSCF0011.jpg

redrick
03-21-2012, 17:38
The Smoke House and Evil Roy get action jobs.

From what I hear the only difference in the Rodeo and their higher priced revolvers is the finish. USFA revolvers are made in the orginal Colt factory. They are kind of like Colts, they are hard to find.

If I had a budget of $700 and could find a Rodeo I would get it over the Uberti clones, not that I would mind having a Uberti.

collim1
03-21-2012, 19:26
Uberti "El Patron" will be my retirement gun. Very handsome and quality made.

Nalapombu
03-22-2012, 00:38
I don't think USFA makes the Rodeo any more. They're not listed on their website. They have gone back to making nothing that costs less than $1,000. A lot of their stuff is over $1,300 or so. Don't get me wrong, they have beautiful stuff and I'd love to have a few of them, but I honestly can't see shelling out over 1K for a US Firearms when I can get a COLT for the same money. In 50 years the COLT will have appreciated significantly while the USFA will no doubt be worth money, but not nearly as much as a REAL PEACEMAKER would.
That's too bad, I would've loved to have had a USFA. Now that the Rodeo is no longer an option that reality looks less and less possible.

I'll have to check out the full line of the Uberti SAA's.

Thanks all,

Nalajr

ron8903
03-22-2012, 07:36
Lots of folks seem to really like the Uberti Cattleman series of 1873 clones. I have no personal experience with them, but have seen a metric crap-ton of them at my club (lotsa Cowboy shooters there).

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single-action-cattleman.php

I love mine, .44 mag. Its my favorite woods gun.

SigFTW
03-22-2012, 08:07
I bought the Uberti 1858 New Army single action black powder revolver and it is top quality and very accurate!

If you have not handled the Uberti I would suggest visiting Basspro and Gander Mountain, they keep some in stock and you can actually see and feel it first hand.

redrick
03-22-2012, 15:06
I don't think USFA makes the Rodeo any more. They're not listed on their website. They have gone back to making nothing that costs less than $1,000. A lot of their stuff is over $1,300 or so. Don't get me wrong, they have beautiful stuff and I'd love to have a few of them, but I honestly can't see shelling out over 1K for a US Firearms when I can get a COLT for the same money. In 50 years the COLT will have appreciated significantly while the USFA will no doubt be worth money, but not nearly as much as a REAL PEACEMAKER would.
That's too bad, I would've loved to have had a USFA. Now that the Rodeo is no longer an option that reality looks less and less possible.

I'll have to check out the full line of the Uberti SAA's.

Thanks all,

Nalajr

There is one on gunbroker now. Its the last one listed on the page. Search USFA. I would email the seller and ask the reserve price, I wouldn't go over $650 because you will have to pay shipping and the FFL transfer.

waynokarider01
03-22-2012, 17:47
I would also add that on the low end, the Heritage big bores are made by Pietta. They are assembled by Heritage, though. I have one in the safe. I haven't fired it, but the finish on mine is nice and the fit seems pretty good.

DPris
03-23-2012, 00:27
The Rodeo is not made anymore.
NO USFA is made in the old Colt factory, USFA moved out of there years ago.

You can't buy a Uberti "straight from the factory".
Uberti USA is not the "factory", it's a US importer of Uberti products like Cimarron, Taylors, Beretta, and so on.

Very few of the Italian guns are finished here, and none are sent to EMF so EMF can put their name on them.
Brand markings other than Uberti are done in the Italian factory.

Each importer contracts with Uberti for certain finishes or certain configurations, which are done at the factory in Italy.
One or two models may get special action work contracted out here in the US before it's sold.
Generally, the guns sold by Uberti USA are the plainer versions.
Denis

Veedubklown
03-23-2012, 16:55
Since Arizona made the SAA the state gun, I've wanted a ruger convertable.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/images/10308.jpg

357mag/9mm. I dunno what you guys are hung up on, I like the ruger. I've also never handled the real deal to compare though, so :dunno:

DPris
03-23-2012, 17:07
My Colts are...Colts.
My Rugers are...working guns. :)
Denis