Different states different names [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Different states different names

pipedreams
03-20-2012, 07:01
Would be nice to see all states use the same terminology for conceal carry.
This is just a few I have discovered so far and I'm sure there are more.

CCP - Concealed Carry Permit

CCW - Carrying a Concealed Weapon

CFP - Concealed Firearm Permit ( Utah)

CHL - Concealed Handgun License ( Texas, New Mexico)

CHP - Concealed Handgun Permit

CPL - Concealed Pistol License ( Washington State, Michigan)

CWL - Concealed Weapons License

CWP - Concealed Weapon Permit ( Arizona)

LTCF - License to Carry Firearms (Pennsylvania)

NPCW - Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons (Iowa)

jeffyjeff
03-20-2012, 11:01
obvious omission: iowa's is a "permit to carry weapons"

TSAX
03-20-2012, 11:12
You forgot SOL, Sh-t Out of Luck for those who cant have a permit.

:50cal:

pipedreams
03-20-2012, 13:17
obvious omission: iowa's is a "permit to carry weapons"

Your right I forgot my own state.
This what it is officially called for a nonprofessional.

Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-20-2012, 14:01
LCP - License to Carry Pistol

cowboy1964
03-20-2012, 16:12
Would also be nice to see every state honor every other state's permit. But many are against that. Usually the same people that think permits shouldn't even be required. A bit ironic in an odd way.

slickt0mmy
03-20-2012, 16:35
Specifically, my license says "Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun". So that probably fits the CHL category :supergrin:

EAJuggalo
03-20-2012, 16:56
Indiana, License to carry a handgun. LTCH
Minnesota, Permit to carry a pistol. PTC

racer88
03-20-2012, 17:35
There's a reason they have different names. They are different types of licenses (AFAIK). In Florida, our CCW is a license to carry any and all weapons concealed. If I'm not mistaken, that is NOT the case in every state. So, a LCP is a license to carry a pistol (or handgun)... but NOT any other weapon. In Florida, with my CCW, I can carry (concealed) a handgun, a knife, a samurai sword, etc.

SouthernBoyVA
03-20-2012, 18:34
Virginia's is called a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit).

Best one is Section 13 for us here in Virginia. That's all we should really need.

pipedreams
03-20-2012, 21:18
There's a reason they have different names. They are different types of licenses (AFAIK). In Florida, our CCW is a license to carry any and all weapons concealed. If I'm not mistaken, that is NOT the case in every state. So, a LCP is a license to carry a pistol (or handgun)... but NOT any other weapon. In Florida, with my CCW, I can carry (concealed) a handgun, a knife, a samurai sword, etc.
You bring up a good point. Some states the permit allows you to carry any type of a concealed weapon. I know the Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons allows you to carry a wide variety of weapons concealed besides a firearm.

xmanhockey7
03-20-2012, 22:45

Exactly. In Michigan we have CPLs. You are only licensed to carry a concealed pistol. If someone from FL came up carrying, lets say, a baton, they would be violating Michigan law. Funny thing is when Michigan was a "may issue' state we had "concealed weapon licenses" but you would only carry pistols concealed. They changed to CPL when we switched to shall issue to make it more clear.

Warp
03-20-2012, 22:57
GWL - Georgia Weapons License (Georgia)

Formerly GFL - Georgia Firearms License

LTCH - License To Carry Handgun (Indiana)

KentuckyPatriot
03-20-2012, 23:19
Kentucky = CCDW (Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons)

Many states you aren't professional enough to carry an edged weapon over a certain length...not a problem here!

Many states don't want you carrying nunchuks, brass knuckles, etc...not a problem here!

Pretty much if you can conceal it you are good to go...well, with the right NFA licenses, etc.

Now if only I can find an overcoat to conceal that WWII bazooka I wanted for my birthday! :rofl:

The only real problem is being complacent knowing that you can carry pretty much anything and then moving across state lines where the knife or other items may be prohibited. Gotta know the laws of the state you are in currently.

md2lgyk
03-21-2012, 10:10
Concealed Pistol/Revolver Permit (West Virginia).

Spats McGee
03-21-2012, 11:46
CHCL - Concealed Handgun Carry License (Arkansas)

OldCurlyWolf
03-21-2012, 16:33
OK = CWL = Concealed Weapon License

Chuck66
03-22-2012, 10:32
Handgun Carry Permit in TN, which for us means open or concealed carry of a handgun. The license leaves the method of carry open to the carrier.

4TS&W
03-22-2012, 10:37
You forgot SOL, Sh-t Out of Luck for those who cant have a permit.

That would be Illinois.

We also have to get a FOID. (F'ed Over by Illinois Democrats)

Change is coming though.

Boot Stomper
03-23-2012, 05:09
That would be Illinois.

We also have to get a FOID. (F'ed Over by Illinois Democrats)

Change is coming though.

The FOID card only gives you permission by the great State of Illinois to buy a gun or ammunition. The FOID card is government harrasment, one should not need a government approved card to buy or handle a gun. Thanks Chicago Dems. :steamed:

random southpaw
03-23-2012, 18:08
The problem here is that if you give a politician/bureaucrat a bit of power, they will muddy the water and thoroughly confuse an issue that once was crystal clear.