CCW on a Motorcycle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW on a Motorcycle?

jeremy_283
03-20-2012, 08:51
Now please don't hate on me as I am nowhere near CCW at the moment due to my lack of knowledge on the subject and the laws surrounding it. I was thinking though as to far as carrying while on a motorcycle.

Would this have the same laws surrounding it as to if you say, carried one in your car?

Second, could a pistol be openly displayed on a hip holster on a bike?

:whistling:

Note: and I would not ever get a CCW for the sole purpose of carrying on a motorcycle anyways, it's just a thought. Oh, and I'm in Missouri. I also know this may not fall under CCW since the hip holster isn't "concealed", but like I said, I haven't yet studied up.

TX expat
03-20-2012, 08:59
For the most part, the laws wouldn't change for a motorcycle from what you'd be subject to in an automobile. You'd have to refer to whatever state laws you are subject to.

The ability to OC on a motorcycle would be determined by the laws of the state/county/city that you were in at the time, so there is no 'yes' or 'no' answer to this.

jeremy_283
03-20-2012, 09:03
For the most part, the laws wouldn't change for a motorcycle from what you'd be subject to in an automobile. You'd have to refer to whatever state laws you are subject to.

The ability to OC on a motorcycle would be determined by the laws of the state/county/city that you were in at the time, so there is no 'yes' or 'no' answer to this.

end thread/ right?

this is kinda of what I thought I would get as a response. Thanks for the reply!

TX expat
03-20-2012, 09:13
Ah, well since you are in MO I can give you a little more complete answer.

You would be subject to the same CCW laws, either on a MC or in an automobile in MO. Nothing would change and there are no motorcycle specific statutes for CCW in the MO laws.

Open Carry is legal in the state of Missouri but it is left to the local municipalities to allow it/ban it, so you could OC on a motorcycle but you'd need to know the laws of every city you were riding through. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with all that unless I was going to be riding in one specific city. If I were riding from St. Joseph to Joplin, I'd just carry concealed and be done with it because there would be so many different city laws that you would be subjected to as you rode through each of them.

jeremy_283
03-20-2012, 10:06
Ah, well since you are in MO I can give you a little more complete answer.

You would be subject to the same CCW laws, either on a MC or in an automobile in MO. Nothing would change and there are no motorcycle specific statutes for CCW in the MO laws.

Open Carry is legal in the state of Missouri but it is left to the local municipalities to allow it/ban it, so you could OC on a motorcycle but you'd need to know the laws of every city you were riding through. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with all that unless I was going to be riding in one specific city. If I were riding from St. Joseph to Joplin, I'd just carry concealed and be done with it because there would be so many different city laws that you would be subjected to as you rode through each of them.

Thanks for the in-depth response! Really, what first got me to thinking more about it was when I saw this shirt- which is also about the dumbest thing IMO if you are in fact carrying at the time. This is aside from the fact that I think the shirt is dumb in general.

http://www.wearagun.com/shirtpages/images/HONK-IF-YOUVE-NEVER-SEEN-A-GUN.jpg

sr975j
03-21-2012, 00:40
i dont know about the laws in your state, but in Ohio, all the same rules apply for a motorcycle.

Sam

Lindenwood
03-21-2012, 06:47
Hahaha, that shirt is kinda badass :P . I'd never wear it, especially if I were actually carrying, but it is still pretty cool, haha. Got a good chuckle out of me, at least :) .

I am not really comfortable with OC, even in places where it is legal.

However, I have carried (concealed) the following while riding:

1) Kel-Tec PF9, in front (zippered) jacket pocket).

2) Taurus PT92 with light, both in front pocket and at 4:00 IWB, grip forward.

3) Taurus Raging Bull with 8" barrel, at 4:00 IWB, grip forward.

It really isn't hard to conceal things if you want to. And no, I wasn't wearing some triple-XL baggy coat--my racing jacket I wore every day was actually custom fitted to be tight enough to make sure the pads never moved in a crash.

RGbiker
03-21-2012, 10:28
As OC is common in Arizona, during warmer months I OC a SIG P-220 or RIA 1911 when riding the GW. Maybe it's my imagination, but motorists appear to give me more elbow room.

Oramac
03-21-2012, 11:07
Not really a question about laws, per se, but what type of bike are you riding?

I've been wanting to get one for a while now, but I'd more likely get a sportbike than a cruiser. Any thoughts on the differences in carry style with different bikes?

Bill Lumberg
03-21-2012, 11:20
Same with sportbike or cruiser. OWB at 9 or 3. If you, for some reason, favor in front of the hip, that's not happening with either. Too far behind the hip, and it leads to printing on sport bikes, not so much on cruisers.