Smith Wesson Governor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smith Wesson Governor

Samned2003
03-20-2012, 15:18
Every time I go by my local gun shop recently, they always seem to have something unusual. This trip they had a Brand New Smith Wesson Governor, it is only the second one that I have seen. After looking at it for a few minutes, I bought it. It does seem to be better built revolver than the Judge, but is was about $100.00 more expensive. I have been reading a lot on the internet about the various loads, and for a self defense situation it appears that the 45 Long Colt is the best round.

Anyway this pistol may be a "Fad", but for some reason I like the pistol.

I hope to get it out this weekend and try it out.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Governor?

Ruggles
03-20-2012, 15:34
I like the concept and I would prefer the S&W over the Taurus due to it's ability to fire ACP as well a LC and .410s :)

That being said the haters of the concept are gonna come out pretty soon, some just hate the concept of the .410/.45LC handgun.

camelotkid
03-20-2012, 15:49
I like them a whole lot better than anything taurus. The fact that it shoots 45acp is really nice. Nothing I would EDC but a fun plinking gun and a good hiking gun.

TSAX
03-20-2012, 16:05
I am awaiting the Ruger Mayor before I decide between the 3 :supergrin:

:50cal:

nathanours
03-20-2012, 16:28
I can't speak for the governor, but my dad has a Judge. I've shot it quite a bit, but I'll give you a word of caution on the shot shell loads.

We had some of the special pdx-1 loads for these guns (my dad also has the longer barrel version) with the 3 discs in them. We shot it at a 3 in thick phone book from 7 yards away, and only 1 of the 3 discs even hit it on average. None of the discs went through the book even. I'd seriously doubt its ability to penetrate through a thick jacket, and the chance of hitting something beyond your desired target is extremely high.

The gun does pretty decently with the 45 long loads however.

I don't imagine that the governor would have much different ballistics than the judge. This is just my personal experience so take what you will from it. I strongly suggest you try the shot loads for accuracy and penetration before you use them for defense.

DreamWeaver88
03-20-2012, 16:28
I like mine. I know it's not for everyone, and people debate the effectiveness of .410 out of such a short barrel. I really don't care. You can't tell me someone is going to take a round of .410 PDX-1 at a short distance, then ask for another.

It really baffles me how some people (by what they say about it) almost seem insulted that such guns exist.

nathanours
03-20-2012, 16:32
I like mine. I know it's not for everyone, and people debate the effectiveness of .410 out of such a short barrel. I really don't care. You can't tell me someone is going to take a round of .410 PDX-1 at a short distance, then ask for another.

It really baffles me how some people (by what they say about it) almost seem insulted that such guns exist.

If you're shooting at a threat more than 7 yards away in my experience, you'll most likely only land one of the discs on target, and in the test I did, the discs only made it about an inch deep. 9mm, 38 sp, and the 45 LC passed through it with ease... I'm just saying try it out first. And I completely agree, I doubt you'd be able to find anyone who'll want to be shot with one once, much less twice.

I've also got no problem with the gun existing. It has been a very fun range toy. My dad loves seeing what the smaller bb size shot shells do to things.

Here's a youtube video showing the pdx rounds. They make it barely over 1 in. into a phone book.

Skip ahead to right at around 5 mins. These guys don't really understand physics, but if you just watch the clip without listening to them talk it's good info.

Taurus Judge Shotshell tests - PDX1 - YouTube

WoodenPlank
03-20-2012, 17:04
.410 out of a handgun is going to suck against anything bigger and more menacing than a small dog. Stick to .45 Colt or .45ACP with the Governor. Personally, I'd go with .45ACP and spare moon clips for reloads, just because it'll be faster to reload if needed.

DreamWeaver88
03-20-2012, 17:19
If you're shooting at a threat more than 7 yards away in my experience, you'll most likely only land one of the discs on target, and in the test I did, the discs only made it about an inch deep. 9mm, 38 sp, and the 45 LC passed through it with ease... I'm just saying try it out first. And I completely agree, I doubt you'd be able to find anyone who'll want to be shot with one once, much less twice.

I've also got no problem with the gun existing. It has been a very fun range toy. My dad loves seeing what the smaller bb size shot shells do to things.

Here's a youtube video showing the pdx rounds. They make it barely over 1 in. into a phone book.

Skip ahead to right at around 5 mins. These guys don't really understand physics, but if you just watch the clip without listening to them talk it's good info.

Taurus Judge Shotshell tests - PDX1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katLavQJ7CY)

Yeah, I know it's not going to be a single shot stopper by any means.

I have the ammo staggered in my Governor. I figure .410, 45LC, .410, 45LC with a couple of 45ACP chasers should do the trick.

DW

Sbh87
03-20-2012, 17:27
The governor is something I want to try. I don't think I would own one ever but the concept of being able to shoot three different calibers in one gun us pretty cool. If I lived in an area with a lot of snakes I suppose it could b a good snake gun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glockster17
03-21-2012, 19:38
What about as a 'trail' gun? Loaded with one .410 round for snakes and other unfriendly critters and then 5 rounds of .45LC for something bigger/meaner lurking around. The .45 acp would be cheaper to pratice with and could be used for home defense. Or a 'car gun' that is pretty versatile. I don't own one of these handguns, but held one at the LGS this weekend and it got me thinking. Thoughts? --Rob

Samned2003
03-22-2012, 15:47
Took the governor out to shoot it today. The first shell was a #6 birdshot load. At about 20 feet the pellets spread was about 2 feet in diameter . This round would be good for small game, and I would not even consider using it for self defense.

The second round I shot was the Winchester PDX1 .410 load at 20 feet. This round placed all three discs about 3 to 4 inches apart. There were about 6 or 7 BB shot on the 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. This round performed well, and patterned well.

The next round was 230 grain FMJ .45 acp. This round performed well placing three rounds in a 3 inch group at 20 feet.

The next round was Hornady 225 grain Lever Evolution 45 Long Colt. This round was a little more accurate that the .45 cap, putting 3 rounds in about a 2 1/2 inch group at 20 feet.

I just had a short while to shoot this pistol, and I am sure it is more accurate , but for the first range trip it exceeded my expectations.

The biggest surprise of the day was the stiff recoil of the .410 Winchester PDX load. It was by far the hottest of the loads I fired.

Anyway I think this Governor is a keeper.

Ruggles
03-22-2012, 15:54
Took the governor out to shoot it today. The first shell was a #6 birdshot load. At about 20 feet the pellets spread was about 2 feet in diameter . This round would be good for small game, and I would not even consider using it for self defense.

The second round I shot was the Winchester PDX1 .410 load at 20 feet. This round placed all three discs about 3 to 4 inches apart. There were about 6 or 7 BB shot on the 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. This round performed well, and patterned well.

The next round was 230 grain FMJ .45 acp. This round performed well placing three rounds in a 3 inch group at 20 feet.

The next round was Hornady 225 grain Lever Evolution 45 Long Colt. This round was a little more accurate that the .45 cap, putting 3 rounds in about a 2 1/2 inch group at 20 feet.

I just had a short while to shoot this pistol, and I am sure it is more accurate , but for the first range trip it exceeded my expectations.

The biggest surprise of the day was the stiff recoil of the .410 Winchester PDX load. It was by far the hottest of the loads I fired.

Anyway I think this Governor is a keeper.

Glad it worked well for you, I think they are versatile guns.

powder86
03-22-2012, 16:36
i definitely heard that the governor is much better than the judge.

bac1023
03-22-2012, 17:27
i definitely heard that the governor is much better than the judge.

I wouldn't doubt that.

NeverMore1701
03-22-2012, 17:51
From yesterday's thread:

Stupid, pointless, worthless, waste of money and material.... That should about cover it.

And as bac pointed out, also ugly.

Samned2003
03-22-2012, 19:34
There are plenty of ugly pistols out there. There are also several pistols out there that I feel are useless. The governor is a neat pistol and only time will tell if I keep it or not, but right now I am happy with my purchase.

stolivar
03-22-2012, 20:07
Use Federal 000 loads. better penetration and grouping.

steve

WoodenPlank
03-22-2012, 20:15
Use Federal 000 loads. better penetration and grouping.

steve

Any .410 load out of a handgun barrel isn't exactly going to be terribly impressive for personal defense, unless you need it for snakes or small animals. Load .45ACP or .45 Colt JHP of a proven type, and carry on.

Ruggles
03-22-2012, 21:03
Any real world data on the .410 from a handgun using the newer loads in a self defense situation? Seems like alot of folks think they are incredibly ineffective, not sure what that is based on.

John Biltz
03-23-2012, 02:30
Shooting Gallery shot loads through it into gel two weeks ago. PDX was light on penetration. Federal 000 looked pretty impressive, better than 16 inch penetration and a really nasty wound channel.

NEOH212
03-23-2012, 03:01
From yesterday's thread:

And as bac pointed out, also ugly.

:perfect10::agree:

AK_Stick
03-23-2012, 03:25

I don't see anyone "asking for another" of any caliber.

However, if you're in a fight for your life. One shot may be all you can get. And choosing a round as anemic, and bad at killing small game animals, out of a full size shotgun, makes little sense when fired from the barrel of a much smaller handgun.

As a defensive gun, the judge, and gov are worthless. Overly big for 45's, and primarily chambered for a shotgun round that isn't even a good choice for a pissed off poodle.

DFin
03-23-2012, 16:34
How does it do with .410 hollow point slugs?

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 16:36
How does it do with .410 hollow point slugs?

Seems like it would be pointless to me. Why use a .410 slug when you can sling a .45 Colt or ACP projectile instead?

stolivar
03-23-2012, 16:46
Federal 000 4 pellet load will achieve 15 inches in gel.

not bad I would say

steve

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 16:51
Federal 000 4 pellet load will achieve 15 inches in gel.

not bad I would say

steve

Penetration tests are great, but statistically meaningless unless certain procedures are followed. Without the documentation to show those procedures were followed, I would not trust ballistic gel data.

John Biltz
03-23-2012, 16:55
Penetration tests are great, but statistically meaningless unless certain procedures are followed. Without the documentation to show those procedures were followed, I would not trust ballistic gel data.
Gunsite mixed the gel for Shooting Gallery, they seem to me to be someone I'd trust with this.

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 16:59
Gunsite mixed the gel for Shooting Gallery, they seem to me to be someone I'd trust with this.

Got a link?

Ruggles
03-23-2012, 17:22
Gel is fine for lab work but is there any real world results that point either way on this new wave of .410 ammo from a handgun?

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 17:28
Gel is fine for lab work but is there any real world results that point either way on this new wave of .410 ammo from a handgun?

Not that I have heard of yet, but I wouldn't exactly have high hopes for it.

Ruggles
03-23-2012, 17:44
Not that I have heard of yet, but I wouldn't exactly have high hopes for it.

I can not say for certain either way it just seems odd that so many folks are 100% sure that the new .410 ammo from a handgun is just plain ineffective. Not sure how they are so certain :dunno:

The same thing was said about the 5.7x28mm from the FN Five Seven handgun. Sadly it was very effective when used at Fort Hood. :crying:

I just think it odd that when giving their opinion on a un-proven subject like this they are 100% certain of anything.

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 17:50
I can not say for certain either way it just seems odd that so many folks are 100% sure that the new .410 ammo from a handgun is just plain ineffective. Not sure how they are so certain :dunno:

The same thing was said about the 5.7x28mm from the FN Five Seven handgun. Sadly it was very effective when used at Fort Hood. :crying:

I just think it odd that when giving their opinion on a un-proven subject like this they are 100% certain of anything.

While the 5.7 has velocity going for it (despite low projectile mass), the .410 handgun does not. Youre taking something originally designed for much longer barrels, and using it in something with a 2-6" barrel, and there simply isn't enough mass there to make up for the velocity. Plus, the rifled barrel will cause greater spread, drastically limiting the range.

When your handgun can fire .410, .45 Colt, AND .45ACP, why the heck would you purposefully pick the weakest of the three for self defense?

Ruggles
03-23-2012, 18:04
While the 5.7 has velocity going for it (despite low projectile mass), the .410 handgun does not. Youre taking something originally designed for much longer barrels, and using it in something with a 2-6" barrel, and there simply isn't enough mass there to make up for the velocity. Plus, the rifled barrel will cause greater spread, drastically limiting the range.

When your handgun can fire .410, .45 Colt, AND .45ACP, why the heck would you purposefully pick the weakest of the three for self defense?

I think I would opt for .45LC in this case, or the .45ACP. That being said I would not feel "under gunnned" with some of the PDX .410 :)

nathanours
03-23-2012, 19:41
Any real world data on the .410 from a handgun using the newer loads in a self defense situation? Seems like alot of folks think they are incredibly ineffective, not sure what that is based on.

This wasn't a "lab test", but when firing the pdx loads at a phone book from 7 yards away, they penetrated on average less than an inch. My .38 snubbie went cleanly through the 4" book with ease, as well as 45 lc rounds from the same gun.

If you were firing at someone in a leather jacket I think you'd be in bad shape. So, that is what my opinion of the gun is based on since you asked.

Ruggles
03-23-2012, 19:49
This wasn't a "lab test", but when firing the pdx loads at a phone book from 7 yards away, they penetrated on average less than an inch. My .38 snubbie went cleanly through the 4" book with ease, as well as 45 lc rounds from the same gun.

If you were firing at someone in a leather jacket I think you'd be in bad shape. So, that is what my opinion of the gun is based on since you asked.

Fair enough :)

stolivar
03-23-2012, 20:31

quit changing the subject....

steve

auto-5
03-23-2012, 21:25
I wouldn't mind having one for a walking around snake gun with 7 1/2 in it. But as far a buck shot or pistol rounds go they are not very good at either as well as being bulky as all get out. In other words I would rather have a baby Glock for carry or a real shotgun for HD.

AngryPanda
03-24-2012, 09:51
I put the judge and others in the same boat as the mares leg pistols that are popular now. Loads of fun, no real purpose. That said if there is ever debate over getting a Smith or getting a Taurus, get the Smith.

I wouldn't want to get shot with one true, but I would also turn down getting shot with a red ryder. as far as snakes go, I have never once HAD to shoot a snake. You either see em, and can avoid em or you don't see em and you are in trouble already. I see no reason to lug around the big hunk of gun that the .410s are when I can just as easily load a cci snakeshot round, or just use my trekking pole or stick to deal with the snake if I have to for some reason.

Samned2003
03-24-2012, 12:23
Shot the Federal 000 buckshot load today out of the governor. Like previously stated this load works good. The 3 000 balls averaged about a 3 to 3 1/2 inch group at about 25 feet.

DFin
03-24-2012, 12:56
Seems like it would be pointless to me. Why use a .410 slug when you can sling a .45 Colt or ACP projectile instead?

The muzzle velocity of the .410 slugs is advertised as being 1,800 FPS but I suspect that is from a much longer (shotgun) barrel. Does anyone know their velocity from a Governor or Judge barrel?

John Biltz
03-24-2012, 21:17
Got a link?
It was Michael Bane thanking them for mixing 28 boxes of gel.

hunter won
05-28-2012, 16:22
If you do carry the .410 for snakes use the #6 shot. At seven yards you do get a nice tight pattern. S&W said +P ammo is ok. Another ammo option is the .45 G.A.P., the salesman said he's had a few customers un happy with the Taurus Judge and convinced me to spend the extra money. The Governor is a nice personal defense weapon.