Keltec P3 AT [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keltec P3 AT

JohnnyReb
03-20-2012, 21:44
My LGS has a sale on the keltec p3at going on and I'm pretty tempted. Are they worth the risk of buying one? Seems like they can be hit or miss from what I've read.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bac1023
03-20-2012, 21:53
I've had one for about 8 years and its been great.

T-Rod45
03-20-2012, 21:58
Second pistol I've ever bought, had it for going on 5 years with about 300 not-so-pleasurable rounds. But it's gone bang every time. Simple little gun that's been just as reliable as any of my Glocks so far... And it's frikkin TINY!!!!

Metal Angel
03-20-2012, 22:18
I could never buy one because the name drives me nuts. When you say it out loud it just sounds like p380, which is a totally different gun. I know it's a dumb thing to pick at, but there are enough good guns out there that I can afford to be a little picky.

NeverMore1701
03-20-2012, 23:04
Mine was perfect over about 500 rounds. Sold it to fund a Sig P238, which has been better in almost every way.

sns3guppy
03-21-2012, 00:25
I bought three of them, and have never had that many problems with a firearm in my life. The denouement was the trigger crumbling into bits of plastic in my hand. This was on the second round shot after getting it back from the factory for repairs.

I've never seen such poor customer service, nor had so many problems with a product as the P3AT. I bought the first one to evaluate and two more shortly thereafter as the price was right. I gave two to friends to evaluate, and I put several thousand rounds through mine. I was entirely unimpressed.

Bob Hafler
03-21-2012, 01:38
Mines got over 800+ trouble free rounds through it. IMO it been worth every penny. It not a gun you want to shoot to much at the range,But as a SD tool it's fine for when you need to deep CC or if your looking for a pocket pistol. Love it around the house or when the weather is hot. Sometimes I think people who have never owned one of these little pistols expect to much from them. They are what they are, up close SD tools and nothing more. I've thought about selling mine a couple times but when I thought about it for a bit I could just never come up with a good enough reason. It not My EDC but it fills a need that no other gun I own can fill.

vafish
03-21-2012, 05:22
Look around here for keltec threads and you will find keltec owners divided about evenly into 3 groups.

Group 1 will tell you their gun was flawless.

Group 2 will tell you how great the customer service is because their gun broke and they had to send it back. Or they will tell you the gun only needed a "fluff n buff" to become flawless.

Group 3 will tell you the gun is junk and they sold it. Most people in group 3 did not send the gun back to keltec or try a f+b.

I really don't care how great their customer service is, if 2/3 of the guns have problems they shouldn't have left the factory with.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bob Hafler
03-21-2012, 06:00
I won't kid you I had a few stovepipes in the first 50 rounds. I also did a Fluff and Buff on it when I cleaned and relubed it. In all fairness to Kel Tec they did recommend a 200 round break in period. I'll also be so honest as to say those stovepipes I did have could have been my fault by unintentionally limp wristing the pistol as I did not know what to expect from the pistol having never fire a small .380 pistol before. Some owners will never admit it could have been them and not the pistol though.:rofl: I have not always treated my p3at (= pistol .380) so well but it has never failed to go bang when I asked it to after it's F&B. I know you could spend a lot more for a .380 pistol but many higher priced ones can be just as finicky with what ammo they like and don't like.

rickbaales
03-21-2012, 06:12
I bought one several years ago. It has been completely reliable after 500 rounds. Why have I only put 500 rounds through it? It is not pleasant to shoot, and in fact becomes painful after 50 rounds. Otherwise, it is great for pocket carry with a cheap uncle mikes holster.

mnsmokepole
03-21-2012, 06:59
I carried one daily foe 5 years. I just up graded to a Sig P238 because I did not like the sights.

Travclem
03-21-2012, 09:48
I have had one for 4-5 years and it works great. I just hate the sights(or lack there of) and the caliber. 99 times out of 100 I carry my 642 over the P3AT.

Bob Hafler
03-21-2012, 10:10
I never really even practiced much using the sites on my P3at. It's pretty much just SHTF up close and personal point and shoot pistol.

Z71bill
03-21-2012, 10:17
I have had a P-3AT for about 6 years.

It fills a role in my "SD arsenal":upeyes: few other guns (that are not clones of the P-3AT) can fill.

Give me a few alternatives that are this

Light - small - flat - and have 6+1 rounds

It is what it is -

IMHO worth every penny of the ~~$225 I spent on it -

If mine was stolen I would buy another

Worth the extra hassle of a fluff & buff - worth the extra hassle of a trip back to KT.

I load mine so it shoots -

JHP, JHP, FMJ, JHP, JHP, FMJ, JHP :cool:

The JHP are for SD situations involving humans - the FMJ are just extra insurance in case I run into a grizzly bear on the way to the mail box.