S&W Model 14 +P Loads? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 14 +P Loads?

pointnopoint
03-20-2012, 22:34
Hey Mas,

I'm turning to you on this question because I know you have a love for these beautiful old revolvers! I just assisted my sister in getting her first home defense handgun. She picked up a pristine Smith model 14 with a 5in barrel. Is the Gold Dot 135 +p's a good HD load in this gun? I figured it would be ok if used sparingly, which it will be. Pretty dang nice gun for a first gun, but we just don't want to screw it up, as you can imagine. I wish my first gun was this nice haha! Thank you so much for your time and all you do for the firearms community. I can't wait for the Greatest Handguns #2 to come out!
Kevin

Mas Ayoob
03-21-2012, 06:13
Kind words appreciated! Your sister's K-38 won't be hurt at all by reasonable amounts of .38 Special +P. It takes HUGE round counts of this stuff to kill a K-frame.

However, you and she should be advised that a factory-produced 5" K-38 is a rara avis. They were produced in small quantities, for departments including the Illinois State Police. It would be worth sending a letter to Roy Jinks to determine its origin and track its provenance, but if it's a factory 5" Model 14 it's definitely a collector's item and worth a premium. You or she might also want to register at www.smith-wessonforum.com, and open a thread. There is a tremendous brain trust of knowledgeable S&W collectors and historians over there, who could offer some history on these special-order guns, and a good idea of their value in the current collectors' market. Include a photo, or at least let them know whether it has a ramp or a Patridge front sight.

Best,
Mas