Siver Coins In Your B. O. B. Supplies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Siver Coins In Your B. O. B. Supplies

The Wizard
03-20-2012, 23:55
I have been thinking of adding "junk" silver coins to B. O. B. supplies. But I am having a hard time figuring out how many of each denomination (dimes, quaters, half dollars and dollars) would be a good balance between "enough" and "too many". My first thought on the matter was 100 dimes, 50 quarters, 30 half dollars and 20 dollars. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Lampshade
03-21-2012, 06:21
Most people use their bug out bag as a short term evacuation pack, not a long term survival pack.

Seems like regular old cash is the usual choice.

Jake514
03-21-2012, 06:32
I have been looking for a good, reasonable source of silver coins outside of the regular retail numismatic coin dealers. Any suggestions?

Mr.Pliskin
03-21-2012, 07:46
Most people use their bug out bag as a short term evacuation pack, not a long term survival pack.

Seems like regular old cash is the usual choice.

I keep a bit of my silver in my and my wifes bags on the notion that when we return our house might not be there.

But you're right, cash is also king. We each keep about 500 in our bags with 100 in 5's in my daughters bag.

kirgi08
03-21-2012, 08:19
The above all depends on the "cause" of the situation.'08.

Dexters
03-21-2012, 10:43
If you have silver in your BOB and need to use it - people not taking US$ - things are in bad shape. You are also planning on that the person you are wanting to trade with knows that pre '65 coins were silver, the market value of silver and want silver.

Your GHB - gets you home.
Your BOB - gets you to your bug out location.

racerford
03-21-2012, 11:28
I have been thinking of adding "junk" silver coins to B. O. B. supplies. But I am having a hard time figuring out how many of each denomination (dimes, quaters, half dollars and dollars) would be a good balance between "enough" and "too many". My first thought on the matter was 100 dimes, 50 quarters, 30 half dollars and 20 dollars. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

So you are thinking about carrying about $1,500 in silver coins in your BOB, with a face value of less that $60/ unless you get some who just won't take papre money, I guess. I would think you would know you are in that situation for a long enough time before you had to leave that I would just keep that in the safe. I would have thought a BOB would be for leaving in less thatn 5 or 1 minutes do to a fire or whatever. In that situation paper money should suffice.

humanguerrilla
03-21-2012, 11:44
Rolls of eagles ready to go but cash in the bob.

Numismatist
03-21-2012, 11:47
I have been looking for a good, reasonable source of silver coins outside of the regular retail numismatic coin dealers. Any suggestions?

Small country auctions can be a great source for scrap-like silver coins at or below spot - at least here in Maine they are.

I have seen them sell 5 gal buckets of silver coins all at once...