How important is access to critical factory spares to your handgun buying? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How important is access to critical factory spares to your handgun buying?

Boats
03-21-2012, 09:50
Since I don't have the cash or safe slots for odd handguns or ones I won't shoot, I won't buy a pistol that I cannot buy and stock critical factory spares for. I have had to plead with makers to send a part in the mail rather than insist I send in the pistol (looking at you HK), and I will no longer beg the maker to pretty please sell me a part without gunsmith credentials. I want that sucker, say a firing pin, or a an extractor, right out of my own parts kit.

The upshot is that I won't buy from makers who make it a hassle to get parts. So, no HK, no non-1911 Ruger, no non-1911 Springfields.

How important are ready spares to you?

High Altitude
03-21-2012, 10:09
If I use the firearm for protection, training or gaming, I absolutely must be able to stock spare parts.

If it is a fun range gun or safe queen, I don't mind having to send it out for repair if needed, but I only purchase from high quality manufacturers with stellar customer service that are going to be around for a long time.

M2 Carbine
03-21-2012, 10:10
How important is access to critical factory spares to your handgun buying? Reply to Thread
Fairly important but usually not a deal breaker.

Since you mentioned HK. I will not buy HK unless it was a VERY good deal.
At present I have a HK P9S 9mm in my junk box because HK will not sent a couple (minor) parts I need. A few years back I went round and round with them and finally said the hell with them. There's too many other good guns with good customer service available to screw around with poor customer service.
They told me I had to order the parts through a "HK authorized dealer". The only authorized dealer around won't fool with ordering the parts because he said,
"HK is a pain in the ass to deal with".

Cole125
03-21-2012, 10:13
To me its critical, I won't own a gun I cannot get spare parts for. I am not a collector, all my handguns get used a lot.

PlasticGuy
03-21-2012, 10:27
I don't like disposable guns, and any gun you can't get parts for is exactly that.

TalkToTheGlock
03-21-2012, 10:36
Hkparts.net

I ordered numerous things for my Hk's and they are amazing. They have everything you need.

iPhone 4

4 glocks
03-21-2012, 13:11
I have guns form the 1970's and never needed to relace a single part. I have never had a quality gun break on me.
My first G17 is from 1988 and never needed to replace a part.
I do have some extra AR parts fireing pin, springs and pins but never needed to replace them.
I do not buy spare parts for my autos either I replace them when they break.
I think a better plan would be to have serveral SD guns so if one broke you coud use the others untill you could get the parts you need. I have 3 G26 so if one broke I have 2 more to use and could use the broken one for parts but I do not see that happening.

Bren
03-21-2012, 14:14

Very important. I don't buy a gun unless parts, magazines, ammo, holsters and accessories are common. The best guns all have plenty of what I need available everywhere, whether it's Glock, 1911's, Remington shotguns and rifles, S&W revolvers, etc. - there is no need for me to waste my time and money on oddities.

The gun I own that is hardest to find parts and accessories for is my Browning Hi Power - that's what I consider the borderline of "too rare."

Patchman
03-21-2012, 14:58

For my safe queens, spare parts (and available ammo) I couldn't care less.

For my 2nd tier HD guns (two .38 K-frames stashed around the house), also couldn't care less about spare parts but I always have about 150 rounds of various .38+P ammo (158 gr SWC, 158 gr SWC-HP and Gold Dot 135 gr HP) available. As well as loaded speedloaders next to the K-frames.

My primary CCW/SD guns are 9mm Glocks. Two (2) G19s and a G26. Why 9mm Glocks? Because Glock allowed me to take their certified armorer's class, because parts are readily available from multiple sources (and I have a stockpile of extra springs and parts), and because plenty of 9mm ammo are available.

All my 9mm Glocks are Gen 3s. So worst case scenario, the G26 can be stripped to provide parts for the remaining G19s.

AA#5
03-21-2012, 15:03
Not especially important to me. I've always made sure to own several defensive-suitable guns, so in the unlikely event that one needs a part, it's no big deal; just put it in the safe until repaired & load another one.

I understand why they wouldn't want to ship some parts to non gunsmiths due to liability issues.

Maybe I'm just lucky; I've never had a part need replacement on any gun, except maybe a mag spring.

Bruce M
03-21-2012, 16:37
Not especially important to me. I've always made sure to own several defensive-suitable guns, so in the unlikely event that one needs a part, it's no big deal; just put it in the safe until repaired & load another one.

I understand why they wouldn't want to ship some parts to non gunsmiths due to liability issues.

Maybe I'm just lucky; I've never had a part need replacement on any gun, except maybe a mag spring.

^ Ditto

jtull7
03-21-2012, 17:57
None whatsoever.

arclight610
03-21-2012, 19:34
Not very important for my novelty guns. Very important for my lizard men invading the earth guns. That's why I usually keep to the guns that are popular. AR-15 spare parts are plentiful and cheap.

Andrewsky
03-21-2012, 21:16
Very important. I don't buy a gun unless parts, magazines, ammo, holsters and accessories are common. The best guns all have plenty of what I need available everywhere, whether it's Glock, 1911's, Remington shotguns and rifles, S&W revolvers, etc. - there is no need for me to waste my time and money on oddities.

The gun I own that is hardest to find parts and accessories for is my Browning Hi Power - that's what I consider the borderline of "too rare."

The most common service pistol in the world is nearly too rare for you to own?

WoodenPlank
03-21-2012, 22:12
Hkparts.net

I ordered numerous things for my Hk's and they are amazing. They have everything you need.

iPhone 4

Exactly. If you want spares on-hand, this is the way to go for HKs.

I think that might have been part of his point.

FLIPPER 348
03-21-2012, 23:08

none

my spare parts are all in the 2nd handgun

NEOH212
03-22-2012, 02:28
Hkparts.net

+1 on that! I have used HKparts.net on several occasions and never had a problem. On that note, I have never had one issue obtaining any part from HK when I called customer service. That includes firing pins and extractors.

I wonder of the OP really ever called HK and tried to purchase parts? Or, does he just think that HK automatically thinks he sucks and they hate him? :whistling:

CajunBass
03-22-2012, 02:42
I've never thought about it. I've never had a gun break. If one ever does, I'll worry about finding parts for it then. If I can't, no big deal. I'll just get another one.

Boats
03-22-2012, 08:03
+1 on that! I have used HKparts.net on several occasions and never had a problem. On that note, I have never had one issue obtaining any part from HK when I called customer service. That includes firing pins and extractors.

I wonder of the OP really ever called HK and tried to purchase parts? Or, does he just think that HK automatically thinks he sucks and they hate him? :whistling:

I wanted to change versions on a USP45c and was told "No" when I tried to order the parts directly. Granted, that was back around 2000 or so. For that, and not really be a great piece generally, I dumped HK and haven't looked back. I can go to Beretta USA and order the parts kit to change a PX4F into a G model and all they want to know is my card number and where to deliver.

That latter approach is simply how it should be. Factory direct spare parts availability or a generous listing of such at Brownell's or Midway.

Bren
03-22-2012, 08:21

Yes. My other guns are 1911's, S&W revolvers and M&P's, Glocks, Beretta 92FS, Walther PPK/S, etc. It's easier and cheaper to find good holsters, magazines, parts, etc., for any of them than the Browning.

Might be different in a third world country, but they aren't that common here any more. Much less common than when I got my first Browning in about 1988.

donsls6
03-22-2012, 10:05
I like owning something where if it breaks I can fix it MYSELF without worrying about turnaround time or the occasional runaround from a company. To each his own but for me, I don't want to have to deal with someone else if I don't have too.

OctoberRust
03-22-2012, 11:40
Since I don't have the cash or safe slots for odd handguns or ones I won't shoot, I won't buy a pistol that I cannot buy and stock critical factory spares for. I have had to plead with makers to send a part in the mail rather than insist I send in the pistol (looking at you HK), and I will no longer beg the maker to pretty please sell me a part without gunsmith credentials. I want that sucker, say a firing pin, or a an extractor, right out of my own parts kit.

The upshot is that I won't buy from makers who make it a hassle to get parts. So, no HK, no non-1911 Ruger, no non-1911 Springfields.

Very important. Cheap spare parts are a plus too. Well, affordable kind of cheap, not cheap breakable type cheap.

jwhite75
03-22-2012, 12:47
I use my stuff A LOT. My Glock or Sig Sauer or S&W revolver have never broken. I dont keep spares. I guess Ill get the broken one fixed and switch to another while I wait.

mangkukhan
03-22-2012, 20:24
As nice as it is to have spare components to perform self repairs, I find having spare guns more convenient. I tend to have doubles, or more of many of my guns.