Does Everyone that Shoots now Wear GLOVES?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does Everyone that Shoots now Wear GLOVES??

Nalapombu
03-21-2012, 13:29
My GOD, every time I click on a video of a firearm test whether it be a hunting rifle, a 22 handgun or an over/under clay target shotgun, the guy doing the "test" is wearing gloves. Not just any gloves.....oh no way, they are the special "TACTICAL GLOVES."
Does everyone now have to wear gloves when shooting a firearm? I can understand the troops wearing them, they are in a hostile environment, but guys at home on the range wearing them, give me a break.

When did this lunacy start? It looks absolutely ridiculous. What is the purpose of wearing them, really? Do they just want to look cool or THINK they look cool?

Sometimes when I watch these videos I can totally understand why the antis make fun of gun owners so much. We give them such HUGE targets how could they not?

Hey guys, STOP with the TACTICAL GLOVES already and just shoot your guns with your bare hands. You look like GEKO45 when you wear them.

Nalajr

IGotIt
03-21-2012, 13:35
Handguards on AR's get uncomfortably hot after firing many rounds, other guns might too. Some might like gloves because it makes gripping the gun more comfortable, some might wear them to keep there hands free of lead residue.

To each their own.

Sheepdog Scout
03-21-2012, 13:39
I don't, not every time.

But apparently the sky is falling!

CitizenOfDreams
03-21-2012, 13:41
It keeps my nails pretty. :aodnsb:

MadMonkey
03-21-2012, 13:47
I use gloves quite often when I shoot. Didn't realize that made me a mall ninja.

What really gets me are the people who wear SHOES when they shoot. If John Moses Browning had wanted us to wear those useless things he would have said so.

Rumbler_G20
03-21-2012, 13:49
I think it depends on the application.

If you are in fact a paper puncher shooting at static targets on a static range it is ridiculous unless you are shooting a snubbie .50 AE.

If on the other hand you do actually train and shoot in a tactical environment, wearing gloves in not only appropriate and smart, but really important to do.

FWIW. I've seen folks looking really stupid wearing them AND not wearing them.:dunno:

My GOD, every time I click on a video of a firearm test whether it be a hunting rifle, a 22 handgun or an over/under clay target shotgun, the guy doing the "test" is wearing gloves. Not just any gloves.....oh no way, they are the special "TACTICAL GLOVES."
Does everyone now have to wear gloves when shooting a firearm? I can understand the troops wearing them, they are in a hostile environment, but guys at home on the range wearing them, give me a break.

When did this lunacy start? It looks absolutely ridiculous. What is the purpose of wearing them, really? Do they just want to look cool or THINK they look cool?

Sometimes when I watch these videos I can totally understand why the antis make fun of gun owners so much. We give them such HUGE targets how could they not?

Hey guys, STOP with the TACTICAL GLOVES already and just shoot your guns with your bare hands. You look like GEKO45 when you wear them.

Nalajr

ancient_serpent
03-21-2012, 13:52

Nalajr

I shoot with gloves all the time for two simple reasons.
1- I wear gloves at work and shoot with them at work.
2- I rather like not burning or cutting my hands apart when I'm running a weapon hard.
YMMV.

SigFTW
03-21-2012, 13:53
I use gloves quite often when I shoot. Didn't realize that made me a mall ninja.

What really gets me are the people who wear SHOES when they shoot. If John Moses Browning had wanted us to wear those useless things he would have said so.

:goodpost:

ancient_serpent
03-21-2012, 13:55
Yep, I, too thought about posting something along those lines but maybe the OP has never burned his hands on a hot weapon or torn them up clearing stovepipes.
Maybe he honestly just doesn't run his weapons that hard...

bac1023
03-21-2012, 13:56
Not me.

Always eyes and ears, but never gloves. :dunno:

Kaonashi
03-21-2012, 13:59
Saw the thread title and instantly thought you meant those blue latex cleaning gloves

Two by two with hands of blue.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SigFTW
03-21-2012, 14:04
Saw the thread title and instantly thought you meant those blue latex cleaning gloves

I use the blue rubber gloves while reloading, does that make me a reloading ninja :tongueout:

Teecher45
03-21-2012, 14:18
When training hard for work. Clearing buildings and so forth. In corrections we were puncture proof gloves a lot. If I'm gonna wear them if the S hits the fan I should train with them.
However, if I'm just target practicing on the range, then no. Unless its really cold. Then it's jersey gloves.

nathanours
03-21-2012, 14:24
I wear gloves in the winter because I am often shooting in 20 degree weather... guess that makes me a mall ninja...

LoadToadBoss
03-21-2012, 14:25
I often use a pair of black golf gloves. Nice and thin with some ventilation.

Baba Louie
03-21-2012, 14:28
Gloves outdoors when shooting? Yep.

Tacticool? Nope.

Don't like sunburned paws or hot barrel interaction.

YMMV

fiasconva
03-21-2012, 14:30
Nah, I don't think I'm gonna have time to put them on in a SHTF situation.:whistling:

cowboy1964
03-21-2012, 15:06
Why is it a big deal, either way?

tango44
03-21-2012, 15:33
Tacti cool look it's an epidemic disease!
Be careful you can get infected too!

CBennett
03-21-2012, 15:51
Depends. in the winter(under 40 degrees) I will when my hands get cold...normally start with none but end up by end with them on...and time weather is above 40 never UNLESS in shooting the AK...I wear them with that if in doing any kind of "training"(realistic scenerio,tactical type training) that in gonna have that safety on and off a lot..those ones like on my AK(kinda harder to get on and off) will tear up your hands if your trying to do stuff quick with them...now just for "plinking" with the Ak74..no no gloves.

1911ES
03-21-2012, 15:53
Never have ........... :sorry:

Airborne Infantryman
03-21-2012, 16:02
Yup, I wear them at the range. I wear gloves at work to shoot, so I shoot at the range with gloves, IF I'm shooting an M4-type weapon.

I wear Mechanix gloves when shooting my D.I. 11.5" SBR. That ****er gets HOT!

SCSU74
03-21-2012, 16:07
I wear gloves at work, so I shoot with gloves when I practice.

Nalapombu
03-21-2012, 16:08
Airborne, did you actually READ my post or just the title?

I can understand the troops wearing them, they are in a hostile environment, but guys at home on the range wearing them, give me a break.

Nalajr

Z71bill
03-21-2012, 16:08
I often use a pair of black golf gloves. Nice and thin with some ventilation.

My wife also uses "golf" gloves -

I think the main reason - she has small hands - and couldn't find any other gloves that fit - and looked stylish. :upeyes:

plouffedaddy
03-21-2012, 16:12
I only wear gloves when shooting at work. With my personal weapons, I don't. Reason being, when executing my mission at work, I wear gloves so I train as I fight. Sleeping in my bed or walking around the city I don't wear gloves so I don't wear them when I practice. Again, train as you fight is the motivation here.

MadMonkey
03-21-2012, 16:12
Okay now I'm being serious.

I shoot with gloves because I shoot a lot, and shooting a lot is more comfortable with gloves (especially with AK trigger slap). However, I also frequently shoot without gloves since I'm unlikely to be wearing them in a self-defense situation (unless it's winter).

What's the problem?

High Altitude
03-21-2012, 16:15
Umm, there just gloves, chill..................

2740dmx
03-21-2012, 16:45
I was wearing some gloves last month, for a cold range session.
these were my "street" gloves, that I would likely be wearing in an outdoor environment, and wanted to make sure my defensive weapons (G26 and S&W 340 j-frame) would function while I was wearing them.

Whoa! :shocked: My j-frame's trigger got jammed up after the first shot, and the material from the glove was pinched up in the trigger!
Glad I practiced with those glove on...because it taught me that I would be SOL in a real-world defensive scenario.

Train how you fight!
If the OP is weirded-out by glove-wearers.....don't look at them!

Bruce M
03-21-2012, 17:10
I have worn gloves a couple times; they were motorcycle gloves. I just wanted to make sure I could shoot with them on. If it was really really cold I would prefer "tactical mittens"

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/BJR-475.jpg

mixflip
03-21-2012, 17:14
Someone needs to unplug from the Matrix from time to time. Its not very high on my "give a crap" list. I have bigger things to complain about than gloves in youtube gun review videos.

I seriously dont think the anti gun folks are focusing in on gloves????

H&K 4 LIFE
03-21-2012, 17:30
...When did this lunacy start? It looks absolutely ridiculous. What is the purpose of wearing them, really? Do they just want to look cool or THINK they look cool?

Nalajr

Wow, you really went off on a totally nonsensical tangent there. :crazy:

You are actually freaking out about people wearing gloves while shooting? If you don't like gloves then simply do not wear them.

barth
03-21-2012, 17:33
Never wear gloves when I shoot.
Live in Florida and am pretty sure I will not be wearing gloves if I need to protect myself - LOL!

like practicing like I'm going to shoot for real.

.45Super-Man
03-21-2012, 17:50
I only wear tactical gloves when shooting something with a tactical rail. Oh nevermind, I dont have anything with a rail!

fnfalman
03-21-2012, 19:17
When I started shooting .44 Magnum, I got me one of those recoil absorbing gloves. After the first session, I chucked the glove.

ronin.45
03-21-2012, 19:19
Not me.

CDR_Glock
03-21-2012, 19:20
Not me.

Lifetime NRA Member

Fragman
03-21-2012, 19:24
Gloves? No. Count yourselves lucky I am wearing pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javelin
03-21-2012, 19:28
I've worn glasses & gloves for years. You handle a hot suppressor 1x by accident and it will make a believer out of you.

Javelin
03-21-2012, 19:31
Oh and I really don't give a **** what you, your little liberal buddies, or your mom thinks about my shooting or my guns.

Get off the cross Jesus. We need the lumber.

Keoking
03-21-2012, 19:42
Only chumps just throw gloves on their naked hands. I start with a generous layer of chalk. If it's good enough for our Olympians, it's good enough for me. And then I put on the gloves. Leather, fingerless, just a little bit of padding. At that point it is time to pick up the rosin bag and make sure I have a nice tacky surface, back and front of my hands.

And yes, I wear ear plugs AND muffs. I currently only wear one set of safety glasses, but I am open to the idea of putting a set of goggles over the top. I mean, you can never know exactly what is going to happen.

Nalapombu
03-22-2012, 00:49
Oh and I really don't give a **** what you, your little liberal buddies, or your mom thinks about my shooting or my guns.

Get off the cross Jesus. We need the lumber.

Now THAT'S CLASS!!

Nalajr

RedHaze
03-22-2012, 00:59
Only chumps just throw gloves on their naked hands. I start with a generous layer of chalk. If it's good enough for our Olympians, it's good enough for me. And then I put on the gloves. Leather, fingerless, just a little bit of padding. At that point it is time to pick up the rosin bag and make sure I have a nice tacky surface, back and front of my hands.

And yes, I wear ear plugs AND muffs. I currently only wear one set of safety glasses, but I am open to the idea of putting a set of goggles over the top. I mean, you can never know exactly what is going to happen.

Just goggles?

If you're doubling up, why not go all out?
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/448419612/Safety_full_face_shield_visor.jpg

I wear gloves through the winter months while shooting. Sitting in the back of the truck when it's 20* out and windy makes for rather frosty fingers.

Big Mad Dawg
03-22-2012, 01:47
Gloves we don’t need no stinking gloves, unless it’s cold or if you are in a situation (at work or training) that requires them then I totally support the use of gloves.

Bob Hafler
03-22-2012, 03:29
No I do not. I do not wear gloves in my everyday life, so I do not wear them when shooting.

skeeter7
03-22-2012, 04:09
I've never worn gloves while shooting. I also don't care if others do. If it somehow helps you, then what's the problem?

Bren
03-22-2012, 04:43

There's a difference between people who are required to wear gloves to shoot and people who do it because the cool SWAT guys in the movies do it.

Personally, I wear gloves if the Army says I have to, but otherwise the only shooting glove I've ever worn was one of these:
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/images/P/d_600.jpg

Bren
03-22-2012, 04:46

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/1/6/1615d_ORIG-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

RYNOCG201
03-22-2012, 06:42

There is a rather strange fellow at my range that wears rubber gloves and a full face respirator when he shoots.

RYNOC

powder86
03-22-2012, 07:19
during winter i wear gloves, as it's cold and snowy here in the rockies. so i train during the winter with gloves on. work on my draw, presentation, and trigger control with my winter gloves on.

Bren
03-22-2012, 07:46
There is a rather strange fellow at my range that wears rubber gloves and a full face respirator when he shoots.

RYNOC

I think he recently posted a thread about the danger of lead poisoning.:rofl::rofl:

Diesel McBadass
03-22-2012, 09:16
Hands are easy to hurt, wearing gloves is smart. Who hasnt cut themselves on a feed lip, got a splintr from range tables, etc?

MadMonkey
03-22-2012, 10:34
There's a difference between people who are required to wear gloves to shoot and people who do it because the cool SWAT guys in the movies do it.

I'm not required to :dunno:

M&P15T
03-22-2012, 10:47
No gloves unless it's cold outside. For cold weather I use some Lowes purchased mechanix knock-off gloves.

Odd, I've done some shooting of my AR where the barrel is smoking, but the heat has never been an issue.

liberty911
03-22-2012, 10:59
I wore them in the military, so trained with them when I shot while I was in even when plinking. Since I've been out they just sit in my range bag. The only time I wore them was when I had my HK P7 because that sucker got HOT after a few mags. They have their place and I won't be getting rid of mine, but I don't have a practical application for them presently.

Javelin
03-22-2012, 11:09
Now THAT'S CLASS!!

Nalajr

Yeah. Because I care so much what you think about me while I am shooting.

Tell you what. When you can outshoot me then you can judge how I shoot.

Javelin
03-22-2012, 11:14
This thread is full of so much fail.

You going to comment on my shoes too? So much gay fail in this thread. OP you should stay home in Spring, TX and not bother going to the range. Maybe head over to Neiman Marcus instead and buy yourself a nice tie.

ranger88
03-22-2012, 11:22
I don't wear gloves when I shoot unless it's very cold and I'm shooting outdoors. I don't care if others choose to do so. Somehow, amazingly enough, it doesn't affect me one way or the other on any level.

carloglock19
03-22-2012, 12:30
Never tried wearing gloves at the range, only when I deployed(boots on ground). I have seen a lot of videos on youtube and they are wearing gloves when shooting and doing reviews, I always thought it was done to keep their hands anonymous.

March817
03-22-2012, 14:07
Gloves are useful when you're concerned about fingerprints.
I don't use them.
I'm just saying...

Baba Louie
03-22-2012, 15:26
Gloves are useful when you're concerned about fingerprints.Well, March, yes, yes... there is THAT. :whistling:

Out in the Southern Nevada desert where I do my shooting, in the winter its cold (gloves) in the summer the sun is merciless (gloves). But I never thought about the fingerprints...

Range bag has bicyclist gloves, rifle cases each have a pair in the zipper pouch.

I use them. So I'm a wimp. I can live with it and not lose a minute sleep. (besides which, I have skin cancer and avoid as much direct sunlight as I can possibly avoid)

... fingerprints. Love it.

whoops dude
03-22-2012, 15:42
I wear gloves occasionally when I shoot. Helps me grip the gun better. why do you care what other people do?

TalkToTheGlock
03-22-2012, 19:31
I love the smell of gunpoweder on my sweaty stinking hands. No gloves for me.

iPhone 4

atakawow
03-22-2012, 20:48
When I see gloves, I get extremely angry. When I get extremely angry, I go to the gym and pound some bags. When I pound some bags, my hands get injured. When my hands get injured, I have to wear gloves.

Don't wear gloves. Wear gloves.

High Altitude
03-22-2012, 21:33

RYNOC

Maybe he has some kind of severe allergy.

My son has lots of food allergies. He would dress up as a girl if you told him it would allow him to eat pizza.

High Altitude
03-22-2012, 21:35
Personally, I don't see the big deal. If you want to wear gloves all day, every day, go for it.

SigFTW
03-22-2012, 21:40
Michael Jackson wore a glove and look what happen to him:whistling:

Luminary
03-22-2012, 21:42
Meh, to each their own. I've personally never shot with gloves on. I should try during the winter time though and see how it changes my shooting abilities.

SauerChoi
03-22-2012, 21:52
Now THAT'S CLASS!!

Nalajr

Yeah because you showed so much class calling others Mall Ninjas because they have gloves on. :upeyes:

There is nothing wrong with wearing gloves when handling a firearm.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-23-2012, 01:35
I wear gloves sometimes because my Gen4 G26 scrapes up my palms pretty bad. I developed a skin condition that affects my palms and feet when I was going through cancer treatment, and my palms are now very sensitive (as well as my feet). So, wearing gloves for me is not a "cool" thing to do...it's because it is a functional thing.

Raiden
03-23-2012, 03:57
8 months out of the year is "glove weather," where I live. As such, it's practical for me to practice shooting with gloves, should I ever find myself in a situation where I'm required to. I'll also practice without them, for the same reason. A few magazines into a shooting session, and several of my firearms get uncomfortably warm to handle, which also makes the gloves a welcome addition.

HKLovingIT
03-23-2012, 05:38
I shoot almost always at the outdoor range. I wear gloves when it is really cold out. Sometimes I wear my Mechanix wear tacti-fool gloves, which I purchased for working in the garage but yup, they work great at the range too. Sometimes I wear my regular winter gloves when it's really, really cold out. I have even done ninja stuff like stand outside in the snow and the rain while shooting. :tongueout:

series1811
03-23-2012, 06:25
Safety wise (to keep toxic gunshot residue off our skin) it's probably not a bad idea.

I admit, I've shot, and then ate something with my hands, ingesting toxic substances, without a doubt from primer expulsions.

Zell
03-23-2012, 10:36
Do I wear gloves while shooting?

Sometimes, although I 'd prefer it over a bare hand. I like the feel of a glove on my shooting hand when I shoot. I know this sounds dorky, but when I had a dinky Kel-Tec P3AT the sucker was so snappy when I shot it that I needed something to give me an extra layer of protection to my hand so I got a leather golf glove. It worked perfectly for me. I don't have that gun any more but still use the glove from time. I feel it gives me a better grip on the gun and provides my hand with some extra cushion when I target shoot. Because of it I get some pretty decent groupings. The only reason I don't wear it much is because I probably look stupid wearing a golf glove. I need to find something similar that's made of leather and fits nice and tight on my hand other than a golf glove.

Unistat
03-23-2012, 10:52

If I saw that at the range, my only response would be: "I aim to misbehave."

humanguerrilla
03-23-2012, 12:58
I wear these most of the time. I work in them and shoot in them a lot.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/haspalneshgl.html

Shoot more whine less. I don't care what you wear if you are shooting and being safe about it even if you scare Fuddly Fudds at the range and provide some entertainment.

jdsumner
03-23-2012, 13:05
.......what? they match my belt!:whistling:

dan

Little Joe
03-23-2012, 17:52
I never wear gloves when shooting. It's against the rules in IDPA, and I wouldn't have them on anyway if a self defense situation was thrust upon me on the street.

ignantmike
03-23-2012, 18:12
to be honest...i've never shot a pistol with gloves on.....never tried it.....i've used gloves when hunting....but, always take the glove off my right hand for rifle and shotgunning.....

wanderinwalker
03-23-2012, 19:47
I wear gloves in the winter because I am often shooting in 20 degree weather... guess that makes me a mall ninja...

This was my first thought too. (Actually, my first thought was "only a Texan or Californian could never see having to wear gloves"... :whistling: ) When it's in the teens, I kind of like being able to maintain dexterity in my fingers. Oh, and just so we're all aware, some gloves don't interact well with revolver triggers and get stuck. You can get the first shot off, but the excess material prevents you from getting to reset. Glocks and other semi-autos are better in this regard.

I could see wearing the Nomex-type gloves if doing lots of drills where manipulating the controls would abrade the fingers. I also think if I were shooting in the desert during warm weather it would be nice to insulate my hands from sun-baked parts.

Jake Starr
03-24-2012, 06:06
I train like I plan to fight...and I train how I live. I hardly ever wear gloves except when it is cold. So when it is cold I train with the gloves I wear. When warm the gloves come off.

I have taken several Israeli classes that have had us 8 hrs per day 2-7 days per week. Didn't wear gloves but I did end up taping my fingers. Gloves would have been nice.

Javelin
03-27-2012, 11:24
This was my first thought too. (Actually, my first thought was "only a Texan or Californian could never see having to wear gloves"... :whistling: )

Oh please. If it drops into the 40's here in Texas folks are bundled up here like Eskimos complaining and NO ONE is outside.

:tongueout:

wanderinwalker
03-27-2012, 15:55
Oh please. If it drops into the 40's here in Texas folks are bundled up here like Eskimos complaining and NO ONE is outside.

:tongueout:

HAHAHA! Somebody on another board posted about shooting in extreme temperatures and said "if it's in the 40s or below, I'll stay inside." :rofl:

(Now where are those real Northerners telling us the teens are shorts weather? :couch: )

And it's a pet peeve of mine reading in the gun 'zines: "Unless you're in a military or extreme Arctic environment, we're unsure of the utility of being able to put a gloved finger on a trigger." Must live in So Cal or Texas...