Trigger help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trigger help

Glock 1
03-21-2012, 15:39
I have a relatively new Colt LE6920 and when I apply slow and steady pressure on the trigger it is gritty. I hope that makes sense. It doesn't squeeze off smoothly, it jerks back in stages until the break.

How can I fix this or is there a brand of replacement trigger I can buy?

FriscoCHL
03-21-2012, 15:53
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409634

This may help

mvician
03-21-2012, 16:16
Take it out and shoot it repeatedly. The trigger will get better with use.

faawrenchbndr
03-21-2012, 16:22
See the pic below,.....the circle on the trigger & hammer are the sear
contact point. An AR15 trigger will smooth out after about 500 rounds fired.
I always place a small bit of grease on the sear. The grease will smooth
up the trigger pull during the break in time.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/sales/ColtTriggerAssembly.jpg

Glock 1
03-21-2012, 16:26

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/sales/ColtTriggerAssembly.jpg

I will try this now. I am dry firing it as I type so I will add a small bit of grease. I can see that contact point. I will put another couple hundred through it this weekend and see if that helps on top of the dry firing. Thanks!

Glock 1
03-21-2012, 16:31
As an aside, I emailed my wife at work and jokingly told her I accidentally shot our tv with the AR dry firing. Wow, she got mad fast. Some people just cannot take a joke. :whistling:

faawrenchbndr
03-21-2012, 16:35
Nice,.........my wife would have had a cow!

nathanours
03-21-2012, 17:49
Just out of curiosity, does anyone polish the contact points of the trigger and sear like they do on pistols? I've had really good luck before polishing those parts with some polish and cuetips sp?

phil evans
03-21-2012, 18:38

separate lower from upper, use toothpick dabbed in molly grease and apply a good blob at this juncture - between trigger and the hammer notch.
really smoothed up my gritty S&W M&P 15 sport's trigger.
molly grease is so fine that it impregnates into the metal.
if this had not worked i'd send off for a 3 pound trigger job.

Glock 1
03-22-2012, 18:20
Well, I found I am out of grease. So, for the past two evenings I have been dry firing and keeping it lubed with Mobil 1. After many many dry fires it seems to have smoothed out quite a bit. Smooth till the break. Thanks for the tips.

She goes to the range again this weekend and I cannot wait. :supergrin:

I dry fired with the lower only letting the hammer fall on the meaty part of my hand to save the firing pin. and I didn't have to keep charging it. Went faster too. Hammer has quite a bit of force to it.

WoodenPlank
03-22-2012, 18:24
No need to worry about damage to your firing pin from dry firing, really. Be careful with just the lower that the hammer isn't slamming into the back of the mag well every time. It sounds like you're catching the hammer, but be careful anyway.

Glock 1
03-22-2012, 19:48
No definitely not hitting but I won't dry fire that way any more. I did it because it let me go faster and I wanted it smooth for the range.

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 19:53
If ya fell up to the task of stripping the trigger out for cleaning,
a small dab of Mother's polish, silver polish, or even tooth paste
can be used as a light abrasive to smooth up the sear contact.

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 05:12
I have watched alot of videos and I think I could R&R the trigger but it would be my luck I would be triggerless for the range day. lol

I will try after the range. One, to see if it even needs it and two just to know that I can. Its the only part I have not had disassembled since I got it.

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 16:31
I know this is probably a stupid question but just as soon as I don't ask it i will come back here with a broken rifle and be told duh, you didn't know that? lol

Does it hurt to rake the charging handle back and let fly full force? Or should I avoid that?

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 16:33
I know this is probably a stupid question but just as soon as I don't ask it i will come back here with a broken rifle and be told duh, you didn't know that? lol

Does it hurt to rake the charging handle back and let fly full force? Or should I avoid that?

That's actually the PROPER way. Riding the charging handle down can cause feed issues, which usually require either a whack on the FA, or rechambering.

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 16:52
That is good to know. I like the sound anyway. Its like the pump of a shotgun, it creates instant silence. :whistling: