How much lube [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How much lube

Tim151515
03-21-2012, 18:21
for all steel guns? I have heard conflicting reports from educated sources, and figured this would be the perfect place to get a large sample size of responses.

On one hand...I hear people say you need to use a lot of lube in the rails to reduce friction in order to make them wear slow.

On the other hand...on a very extensive write up from a gun smith that my dad had me read..he said it was best to just use a dab. Basically he said that if you use a lot, it will attract a lot of particals and fowl which, over time, will cause the rails to wear FASTER due to them riding over the gunk time and time again. One of the examples he gave was a Colt Government that had over 60k rounds through it, and he said was still tighter than most brand new 1911s.

So, what say you?

ArmoryDoc
03-21-2012, 18:44
I say it isn't as tough as it sounds. Just put some oil on it and go.

camelotkid
03-21-2012, 18:46
it is going to depend on the type of gun. Some guns like to be run wet, some don't.

collim1
03-21-2012, 18:53
I only have one all steel gun, a 1911. My other three are Sigs with alloy frames.

I prefer grease for the slide rails. For carry I use a very light coat of either Hoppes grease or automotive white lithium to reduce the lint factor and offer lubrication without any excess.

Before hitting the range I put an extra squirt on each slide rail and around the exterior of the barrel to protect the gun for extended shooting.

The exception is Glocks IMO, but I have found more is better with most guns when it comes to lube. My 1911 and Sigs will run dirty as crap as long you put a squirt of grease down the rails every 500 to 1k rounds.

Oil tends to run down the rails while in the holster and dry up after a day or two. Grease stays in place and doesn't dry up offering better and longer lasting protection.

What kind of gun are you shooting?

Tim151515
03-21-2012, 18:59
I have a cz75 and a 1911r1. I also have a Glock but thats just a beater...i couldnt care less how fast that thing wears down on me. its just my nighstand tool.

michael e
03-21-2012, 19:02
I use a drop or two on each side. On my 22s I run them really wet. I keep a bottle of lube in my range bag so if I needed more I could add no problem.

WinterWizard
03-21-2012, 19:30
for all steel guns? I have heard conflicting reports from educated sources, and figured this would be the perfect place to get a large sample size of responses.

On one hand...I hear people say you need to use a lot of lube in the rails to reduce friction in order to make them wear slow.

On the other hand...on a very extensive write up from a gun smith that my dad had me read..he said it was best to just use a dab. Basically he said that if you use a lot, it will attract a lot of particals and fowl which, over time, will cause the rails to wear FASTER due to them riding over the gunk time and time again. One of the examples he gave was a Colt Government that had over 60k rounds through it, and he said was still tighter than most brand new 1911s.

So, what say you?

Whoever this "gun smith" is is an idiot. He is basically arguing that because you never clean your gun you should use only a little lube to avoid excessive wear from fouled oil or grease. Well, no oil or grease will also cause excessive wear. You need more lube on an all-steel gun because they generally have more metal-on-metal contact areas that can increase friction as the lube disperses and/or the lube gets dirty from fouling. Bottom line, lube your all-steel gun well based on its design and lube points and clean your gun after each use. Gun smiths are like car mechanics: some are good at what they do and understand things, others don't have a friggin' clue. You have to decide which ones to listen to and which ones to avoid like the plague.

I like white lithium grease because it stays put. Oil seems to disperse after only a few days.

faawrenchbndr
03-21-2012, 19:33
If it slides, grease it!
If it rotates, oil it!

I prefer Slide-Glide for rails & Slip 2000 EWL for oil