Scope mount [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount

Glock 1
03-21-2012, 18:32
This isn't for me, its for a customer. What is a good quick mount for the AR other than the LaRue or Burris PEPR? Any other brands?

The scope is a Nikon 1" M-223 2-8x32.

hagar
03-21-2012, 18:35
I have a DPMS that is rock solid. The cheapest good 1 inch mount is the original steel high Weaver mounts.

Glock 1
03-21-2012, 18:39
Is it just a standard rifle scope mount or does the AR take anything special to make it so he can cowitness?

WoodenPlank
03-21-2012, 20:05
Is it just a standard rifle scope mount or does the AR take anything special to make it so he can cowitness?

You won't be cowitnessing with a magnified optic.

So long as the mount is high enough to clear any iron sights, it's usually good to go. Avoid Weaver rings, as the cross slots are different, and Weaver mounts tend to walk forward in Picatinny slots.

Honestly, I'd just shell out for a LaRue mount and be done with it. Buy once, cry once.

Boxerglocker
03-21-2012, 22:31
Bobro... ADM Recon... I switched to Larue and love them.

Javelin
03-22-2012, 00:39
You won't be cowitnessing with a magnified optic.

So long as the mount is high enough to clear any iron sights, it's usually good to go. Avoid Weaver rings, as the cross slots are different, and Weaver mounts tend to walk forward in Picatinny slots.

Honestly, I'd just shell out for a LaRue mount and be done with it. Buy once, cry once.

Agree with the LaRue mount. It's pricey but you won't regret it.

WoodenPlank
03-22-2012, 00:45
Just to clarify, when I say clear iron sights, I mean the scope isn't physically bumping into any folded down BUIS. If the rifle has a fixed front, it will fade out and disappear at higher magnifications.

Glock 1
03-22-2012, 15:48
I will refer him to LaRue. I don't sell LaRue and cannot get them. However, I plan on getting LaRue when I get mine and I wouldn't steer him in a direction less than the best.

Ok, so no riser needed if he plans to get rid of the A frame then?

Glock 1
03-22-2012, 17:05
Well, it appears that "price is not an object" doesn't mean the same to some people. lol.

I am going to recommend a Primary Arms 1-4 with their 30MM Deluxe mount and be done. Its just a range toy, will this due? Its 189 total for both which is hella impressive if you ask me.

WoodenPlank
03-22-2012, 17:30
Well, it appears that "price is not an object" doesn't mean the same to some people. lol.

I am going to recommend a Primary Arms 1-4 with their 30MM Deluxe mount and be done. Its just a range toy, will this due? Its 189 total for both which is hella impressive if you ask me.

For a range toy, yes, he will be fine. Marshall from Primary Arms posts here on a semi-regular basis, and he has a reputation of taking care of his customers if anything does go wrong.

Once you start hitting 4 power or higher magnification, the front sight tower blurs out and eventually disappears, since it is inside the focal distance of the scope. Lower power scopes will be partly blocked by the FSB, though.

Glock 1
03-22-2012, 18:24
Got it. He is still up in the air. When he decides I am going to ask him to go to the range with me and let me shoot it.

The Pirate
03-22-2012, 20:05
You may have a reason the customer is against it, but I really like my P.E.P.R. mount.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 05:09
He hasn't really ruled that mount out so it could still happen. I think the top rails might have something to do with it but I don't know. I assume they can be capped though.

bullittmcqueen
03-23-2012, 05:18
Larue, ADM, or BoBro...those three are tops IMHO. I use LaRue.

PEC-Memphis
03-23-2012, 16:09
Nikon makes a 1 piece and a 2 piece high off-set mount. I have the 1 piece ~$90, and it seems to work fine. I'm sure the 2 piece is fine as well @ ~$50 and maybe a bit lighter. Only in 1".

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 16:16
Is there a benefit to a single piece over a two piece?

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 16:24

For an optic mount, single-piece is less of a PITA in my experience.

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 16:29
As far as R&R? Is that the only reason? There isn't any tactical advantage other than that is there?

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 16:34
As far as R&R? Is that the only reason? There isn't any tactical advantage other than that is there?

Not that I can think of, other than I imagine a 1-piece QD mount (like a LaRue) might work better for returning to zero due to greater rail contact.

Edit: A single-piece mount is probably stronger, too.

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 16:50
Enough to pay the little bit of difference. If it was going to be permanently attached I could see going with a ring set.

The Pirate
03-23-2012, 19:03
He hasn't really ruled that mount out so it could still happen. I think the top rails might have something to do with it but I don't know. I assume they can be capped though.

Are you talking about the rails on the top of the rings? If so, they come with a smooth set.

Glock 1
03-23-2012, 19:13
So the PEPR mounts come with two sets of top ring halves?

The Pirate
03-23-2012, 20:34

You are correct, or at least mine did. Ordered it a couple weeks ago, so it should be current packaging.

PEC-Memphis
03-23-2012, 21:39

For a two-piece, the ring spacing is not fixed, which may give more flexibility in mounting. And the rail between the rings might be used for mounting a 45* mount for a rear peep sight. The two piece is slightly lighter, and less expensive. (Referring to the Nikon version).

Is is as rugged as more massive single piece mount? Probably not, does it have a small rail mount on the top of the rings, no. Is it only available for 1" - yes.

I have a set of Leupold (expensive) rings - they are two-screw per ring, and work very well for medium-large calibers (much heavier recoil than 5.56). I can't see a reason why a 2-screw per ring mount wouldn't be adequate for 5.56.

I really haven't found that remounting a 1-piece mount produces acceptable zero-hold. I've heard mfrs claims about remounting return-to-POI/POA, but i don't know anyone who has done any real verification of this.

TunaFisherman
03-23-2012, 23:31
I use ADM Scout qd with my Leupold Ar scope. Rock solid. I am very happy with them
http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/

WoodenPlank
03-23-2012, 23:32
For a two-piece, the ring spacing is not fixed, which may give more flexibility in mounting. And the rail between the rings might be used for mounting a 45* mount for a rear peep sight. The two piece is slightly lighter, and less expensive. (Referring to the Nikon version).

Is is as rugged as more massive single piece sights? Probably not, does it have a small rail mount on the top of the rings, no. Is it only available for 1" - yes.

I have a set of Leupold (expensive) rings - they are two-screw per ring, and work very well for medium-large calibers (much heavier recoil than 5.56). I can see a reason why a 2-screw per ring mount wouldn't be adequate for 5.56.

I really haven't found that remounting a 1-piece mount produces acceptable zero-hold. I've heard mfrs claims about remounting return-to-POI/POA, but i don't know anyone who has done any real verification of this.

There have been tests done with the LaRue mounts. All the tests I have seen showed sub-MOA shift at 100 yards, often with one tenth or less.

PEC-Memphis
03-24-2012, 06:42
There have been tests done with the LaRue mounts. All the tests I have seen showed sub-MOA shift at 100 yards, often with one tenth or less.

I'd be curious to see your actual results. Same hour, wind, temp, etc. Say shoot two 5 shot groups R/R mount, then shoot two 5 shot groups.

WoodenPlank
03-24-2012, 19:43
I'd be curious to see your actual results. Same hour, wind, temp, etc. Say shoot two 5 shot groups R/R mount, then shoot two 5 shot groups.

I've only personally done it with an Aimpoint M2, so it's hard to see any fractional POI shifts. However, after remounting, the groups are still centered on POA for me, so I'm happy.

Here's a link to a test (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/171278_.html) done by Accuracy First (posted by LaRue on arfcom, test was done by request for a .mil orginization) with the LT ACOG mount, complete with photos and measurements. .1MOA or less shift every time.

LaRue doesn't **** around when it comes to their mounts or their rifles.

IGotIt
03-24-2012, 20:22

Yes, 1 smooth set and 1 railed set.

PEC-Memphis
03-24-2012, 21:15
I've only personally done it with an Aimpoint M2, so it's hard to see any fractional POI shifts. However, after remounting, the groups are still centered on POA for me, so I'm happy.

Here's a link to a test (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/171278_.html) done by Accuracy First (posted by LaRue on arfcom, test was done by request for a .mil orginization) with the LT ACOG mount, complete with photos and measurements. .1MOA or less shift every time.

LaRue doesn't **** around when it comes to their mounts or their rifles.

Thanks for the reference. Pretty impressive. That is much better than the Nikon mount when I tried it. I haven't tried it with the Burris mount.

If R&R'ing a scope is important, maybe it the Larue mount is worth it at over twice the price (~2.3x).

I usually sight in at 100 yards with 12 rounds, for 5.56 that is $6 or less ("pre-sighted" with bore laser). For the difference in price, you can sight in about 16 times for the difference in price, excluding your time & effort.

I guess you have to figure how ofen you are going to R&R your scope on the same rifle vs. how much your time & effort are worth.