FSU Student Facing Felony for Gun in Dorm Room [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FSU Student Facing Felony for Gun in Dorm Room

TBO
03-21-2012, 19:34
FSU Student Facing Felony for Gun in Dorm Room

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/FSU_Student_Facing_Felony_for_Gun_in_Dorm_Room_143566476.html

Javelin
03-21-2012, 19:45
Ooopsies.

JBnTX
03-21-2012, 20:31
"They say they have no reason to believe Gallaher was planning to harm herself or anyone else."

Then give her damn gun back and leave her alone.:steamed:

Syclone538
03-21-2012, 21:28
Property owners have the right to tell you not to come on their property with a gun. If you are going to take a gun somewhere, you need to make sure you understand the laws on doing so.

I'm surprised it's a felony.

ScubaSven
03-21-2012, 22:34
gallaher told her roommate that she got the gun from a former boyfriend who had connections to a gang.

. . . . .

fsu police say guns are not allowed on campus at all, with or without a permit.

certifiedfunds
03-21-2012, 22:40
In the great state of Louisiana, your dorm room is considered your domicile. Therefore, while you can't carry on campus (yet) you can keep a gun in your dorm room and transport it between your car (constitutionally protected) and your dorm room.

series1811
03-22-2012, 03:36
In the great state of Louisiana, your dorm room is considered your domicile. Therefore, while you can't carry on campus (yet) you can keep a gun in your dorm room and transport it between your car (constitutionally protected) and your dorm room.

When I was in college (in Mississippi) my dorm room looked like a sporting goods store. I kept my 7mm mag deer rifle, my Ruger .22 single six, by Super Blackhawk, and my Security Six .357, all my reloading equipment, a hunting bow, a target bow, and I don't know how many cans of Hercules 2400 and Blue Dot, in my room.

I would be under the jail these days I guess. :supergrin:

Kentak
03-22-2012, 04:23
Know the law. Follow the law. Change the law if you don't like it.

certifiedfunds
03-22-2012, 05:12
When I was in college (in Mississippi) my dorm room looked like a sporting goods store. I kept my 7mm mag deer rifle, my Ruger .22 single six, by Super Blackhawk, and my Security Six .357, all my reloading equipment, a hunting bow, a target bow, and I don't know how many cans of Hercules 2400 and Blue Dot, in my room.

Jail? Ha! Try Gitmo!

FL Airedale
03-22-2012, 05:17
Hmmm... I live in Florida and work at a college. I did know it was illegal to have a gun on campus but didn't know it was a felony.

DIXIE DUCK
03-22-2012, 06:04
My dorms last year had some rule like that but I had no idea it was law. I'm glad they never found my glock 34 or my 500 pump! Looking back on it though it would have been stupid to be unarmed considering the crime rates in central Florida.

DOC44
03-22-2012, 06:49

same here, back in the 60s the good ole boys kept their guns in their rooms and during hunting season the dorm looked like Franklin's in Athens GA.

Doc44

sbhaven
03-22-2012, 09:19
A little more info at this link (http://www.wtxl.com/content/breakingnews/story/FSU-Student-arrested-for-firearm-possession/sRCTOHUav0up9ZE8Idkl-w.cspx).
The student was charged with two counts of possession of a weapon or firearm on school property. Per the campus cops they claim the student had a silver 25 Caliber, Raven Arms P-25 hand gun and a 7" blade.
In Florida, it is illegal to own or carry a firearm on a school campus, but it is legal to own a common pocketknife, but according to police, Gallaher's knife was clearly not a pocketknife. There was no ammunition for the gun in the room.

"If you're on campus, you're in violation," said FSU Deputy Police Chief, Jim Russell. "If the dirt you're standing belongs to FSU, or any secondary institution, you're in violation."

FSU: OP-C-14 WEAPONS IN VEHICLES (http://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/bmanual/weapons.html)
OVERVIEW
Florida State University is a school based on the established definitions from Florida Statute 790.115. As such, students, staff and faculty must not have any type of defined weapon in their possession and cannot store a weapon in their vehicle while on any University property.
FL statute: 790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions. (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=790.115&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.115.html)

FL statute: 790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm. (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html)
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;

2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;

3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;

4. Any courthouse;

5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;

6. Any polling place;

7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;

8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;

9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;

11. Any career center;

12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or

15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

W420Hunter
03-22-2012, 10:53
Jail? Ha! Try Gitmo!

Man if some members of the left have there way so will half of GT. Lmao :rofl:

Kingarthurhk
03-22-2012, 17:37
A lifetime ago I lived in on campus apartments (not a dorm) and I kept my G22 with me. There was plenty of gang activity on campus and campus police was ill equiped and unwilling to deal with it.

RickD
03-26-2012, 20:29
I don't see the connection to the "Political Issues" forum. Carry Issues. GNG. Civil Rights. This topic is misplaced.

Syclone538
03-26-2012, 22:01
Should it be a felony is a political issue.

TBO
03-27-2012, 10:18
Yup.

Old RickD has a personal issue with me. Pretty aparent when he took a beating in a prior thread on here, leaves for a bit, then comes back and raises this thread which was buried several pages deep.

The logical conclusion? RickD was checking up on my posts/threads. Why? By this weak post of his, it seems he was looking for ANY way to claw at me.

Not very mature, and not very honorable.

If you're butt hurt because you can't stand in a logic based discussion, or are unable to back up your statements with fact, so be it. Be the bigger person. Learn and grow.

jmho

Stubudd
03-27-2012, 10:27
Jail? Ha! Try Gitmo!

:supergrin:

certifiedfunds
03-27-2012, 10:36
Yup.

Old RickD has a personal issue with me. Pretty aparent when he took a beating in a prior thread on here, leaves for a bit, then comes back and raises this thread which was buried several pages deep.

The logical conclusion? RickD was checking up on my posts/threads. Why? By this weak post of his, it seems he was looking for ANY way to claw at me.

If you're butt hurt because you can't stand in a logic based discussion, or are unable to back up your statements with fact, so be it. Be the bigger person. Learn and grow.

jmho

I suspect you have an overinflated sense of self-importance here.

TBO
03-27-2012, 14:42
I suspect you have an overinflated sense of self-importance here.

Nope. I'm referencing RickD's, interactions with me. The posting history is self explaining.

Sent using Tapatalk

Walt_NC
03-27-2012, 20:47
Know the law. Follow the law. Change the law if you don't like it.

Agreed.

Related to the subject: I'm all for allowing CC on campus. If a person is deemed responsible enough to carry a concealed handgun in the great big world off campus, there is no reason to assume that they will lose their mind and become irresponsibly dangerous the moment they cross an invisible boundary and set foot on campus.

That being said, I get the argument for prohibiting guns from being stored in dorms. While the gun owner may be responsible, their roommate or RA may not be. In a dorm environment, there is no way to limit access to the room (and the guns therein) when roommates and their idiot friends can come and go as they please, and the RA possesses a master key.

RickD
03-29-2012, 20:37
Given that a sizeable number of on-topic, elicited responses to the OP use the words "carry" "keep" "kept" "concealed carry," even "possession" I'd say, yes, this thread belongs in Carry Issues, and would probably have more responses there as well. Yours are not the only off-subject thread topics I've remarked were out of place.

As to the other claims...

[COLOR=Navy]Yup.

[quote]Pretty aparent when he took a beating in a prior thread on here,

TBO means this thread... http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404445&page=3

And, no, not quite rational for you to make that claim. Given that the last two posts were made by others and did not fall in your favor.

The logical conclusion? RickD was checking up on my posts/threads.

When I log onto GT (every few days), I go first to GNG, then Carry Issues, then PI. And I go thread by thread to see what interests me. That I would have gone to and commented on a thread where you snarkly belittle Wake_Jumper who was simply relating a personal story, is un-notable. That I would respond to your attack(s) on me is quite normal behavior.

ANY way to claw at me.
Dude, have you seen your sarcastic thread titles? Talk about claws. :rofl:

Self-defense is both mature and honorable. Snarkiness? Not so much.