New Frontier Armory Polymer Lower [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Frontier Armory Polymer Lower

RMTactical
03-21-2012, 20:50
Got a chance to check one of these out. I liked it.

Still a little skeptical to be honest, but we'll see how it turns out in the long run. This is my blog write up on it. Got a few pictures on there for you.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2012/03/new-frontier-armory-lw-15-polymer-ar15.html

WoodenPlank
03-21-2012, 20:52
Still not touching it with a 10 foot pole. No offense, OP.

faawrenchbndr
03-21-2012, 20:58
Interesting,.......do not believe I would ever buy one though.
Had enough issues with Cav Arms.

RMTactical
03-21-2012, 21:04

I havent replaced my AR15's with it. It will take some time before I would consider that. Needs time to prove itself.

bikerdog
03-21-2012, 21:07
Well its interesting. And for under a 100 bucks if it stands up in the long run not a bad deal.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WoodenPlank
03-21-2012, 21:08
I havent replaced my AR15's with it. It will take some time before I would consider that. Needs time to prove itself.

Given the rather spotty track record of polymer lowers... a LOT of time to prove itself. I think it'll eventually be possible, but not yet. Hell, I think even the ACR has canned the poly lower and gone to magnesium on the newest models for LEO.

faawrenchbndr
03-21-2012, 21:10

And that makes sense,.....will be following this lower.
It may well be the cat's ***! Only time will tell, but
Bushmaster failed with the Carbon, Cav Arms failed with their's.

Maybe I have a jaded opinion? :dunno:

RMTactical
03-21-2012, 21:17
And that makes sense,.....will be following this lower.
It may well be the cat's ***! Only time will tell, but
Bushmaster failed with the Carbon, Cav Arms failed with their's.

Maybe I have a jaded opinion? :dunno:

I agree for the most part. Neither were a good replacement for the anodized aluminum lower. I certainly am more cautious with this one than I would have been otherwise I think, and it is because of those examples you mentioned.

That said, this seems to be decent. Time will tell.

I hate basing my opinion on such little data, so this was more of a quick review of it with what little data I have available.

bmoore
03-21-2012, 21:50
My local shop has these for 99 bucks, complete lower with collapsable stock.

arclight610
03-21-2012, 22:27
That looks eerily similar to my Plum Crazy lower.

So I just went to their website and watched the video on the destructive press test. To the layman it would look like they are comparing the strength of the forged lower to the polymer one. However, they are only testing the elastic modulus of the different materials i.e. how much elastic deformation the material can take and rebound to its original shape. It's a bit deceiving. Of course plastic is going to have a higher elastic modulus. Rubber can undergo an even higher amount of deformation and return to its original shape. However, would you want a lower made of rubber?

I remember Plum Crazy posting some dubious tests before on Youtube that took alot of criticism as well. The 'ole butterknife' test as alot of people called it, because the owner of PlumCrazy was testing the durability of the metal and polymer lower by gently whacking it with a butter knife. He promptly removed the videos after all the criticism he got for it.

To their defense, my Plum Crazy lowers have held up fine to the gentle range use and varmint hunting I've put them through. However, if Plum Crazy/New Frontier Armory wants to be taken seriously, they need to have a more serious marketing and testing approach.

Ruggles
03-21-2012, 23:18
Saw one today, Plumb Crazy $135 I think it was. It felt odd to hold, not sure of it's overall quality but I prefer the traditional lower at this point.

TSAX
03-22-2012, 00:26
tagged

:50cal:

birda40
03-22-2012, 01:06
I have a plum crazy nut the upper is a AR 5.7. It is lighter and the round has little to no recoil or report to it. The trigger is much better than my Rock River( which is 5.56 on it). The plum crazy is lighter of course, but maily for plinking and varmint, of course i'm very careful knowing if I drop it, it will split , break or something. Never tried the 5.56 on it. It was a whim buy and really don't have any problems what so ever. For a 100 bucks my family and I have had alot of fun with it. Bought a 5.45 upper a few weeks back . considering trying it on the Plum Crazy also. Lowers are getting harder to find anymore seem to be going like hotcakes. Looking for another aluminum upper for the 5.45 tho.

G30Mike
03-22-2012, 01:47
I wouldn't use a polymer lower with anything besides a dedicated .22 LR plinker.
Definitely not the material you'd want for a rifle to stake your life on.

NEOH212
03-22-2012, 02:52

:agree:

birda40
03-22-2012, 04:53
Like I said I purchased mine on a whim and money factor. Personally I would Never put a 5.56 or larger on it.

GSSF17
03-22-2012, 08:40
Bushmaster failed with the Carbon

They did? Selling like hotcakes and very little (like hardly any) structural problems is a failure? There was a guy on AR15.com that kaboomed his Carbon 15 upper but it ended up being an ammo problem. :dunno: Just curious.

Personally, I will stick to forged lowers, but the polymer craze is definitely appealing to the 100 rounds or less a month range shooters/plinkers.

Tagged.

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 09:04
Well,.......the one I had was a POS. I've seen four with cracks.
Two had the crappy shell deflectors depart upon the 1st firing. Three with mags wells that were out of spec. A guy had one
in a Carbine class, ended up falling on it. Snapped the barrel from the
upper receiver. With all those issues, I'd call that a failure in my book!

GSSF17
03-22-2012, 11:23
Two had the crappy shell deflectors depart upon the 1st firing. Three with mags wells that were out of spec. A guy had one

Understood. Wife loves hers and it runs fine- that's my only expereince with one. Taking one to a rifle class is like taking a Chevy Aveo to a mud bogging event, though. Oh well.

All that aside, they are popular for some reason. I can tell you that the only reason i ended up with a Carbon 15 was because I only gave $500 for it from a friend who was strapped for cash and I bought it brand new- unfired. That, and it got my bride into the AR game. Keep momma happy, right?

B.Reid
03-22-2012, 11:42
Other than cost savings I see no point in going to polymer.

arclight610
03-22-2012, 12:25
Other than cost savings I see no point in going to polymer.

It's alot lighter than an aluminum lower and theoretically stronger depending on the composite material. Last I heard about the Plum Crazy saga, was that they were going to change their name to better appeal to military contracts. Obviously the military isn't going to buy stuff that says "Plum Crazy" on the side of it. Frontier Armory is probably the birth of that scheme.

WoodenPlank
03-22-2012, 12:48
Understood. Wife loves hers and it runs fine- that's my only expereince with one. Taking one to a rifle class is like taking a Chevy Aveo to a mud bogging event, though. Oh well.

All that aside, they are popular for some reason. I can tell you that the only reason i ended up with a Carbon 15 was because I only gave $500 for it from a friend who was strapped for cash and I bought it brand new- unfired. That, and it got my bride into the AR game. Keep momma happy, right?

I can give you the EXACT reason they are popular: Price.

It's alot lighter than an aluminum lower and theoretically stronger depending on the composite material. Last I heard about the Plum Crazy saga, was that they were going to change their name to better appeal to military contracts. Obviously the military isn't going to buy stuff that says "Plum Crazy" on the side of it. Frontier Armory is probably the birth of that scheme.

The weight savings against a forged lower is pretty negligible, and can easily be accomplished by going to lighter rail, barrel nut, stock, barrel, etc. if you really want to shave off some weight.

RMTactical
03-22-2012, 18:07
I think you underestimate weight savings. For some it is no big deal. Weight has always been a big issue for me. Moreso than the money.

RMTactical
03-29-2012, 08:34
On another thread on another forum, some not so great pics of what happened to one...

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?23373-New-Frontier-Armory-Polymer-Lower

MrVvrroomm
03-29-2012, 09:21
...a lot of people had this same bias against another polymer firearm about 26 years ago...

PEC-Memphis
03-29-2012, 15:05

This is referring to bushmaster carbon 15?

RMTactical
03-31-2012, 09:56
Comparison pics of the NFA and PC lowers.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=479003&page=1

mixflip
03-31-2012, 10:27
Its funny... I actually want to get a lower that is heavier, so a polymer lower doesnt even interest me. Im looking to get a Lancer Systems lower with its interchangeable flared magwell.

RMTactical
03-31-2012, 16:56
Its funny... I actually want to get a lower that is heavier, so a polymer lower doesnt even interest me. Im looking to get a Lancer Systems lower with its interchangeable flared magwell.

What do you mean? I could see wanting one that is built stronger. Why do you want one that is heavier?

MrVvrroomm
03-31-2012, 18:14
I've got a NFA lower coming

mixflip
03-31-2012, 18:54
What do you mean? I could see wanting one that is built stronger. Why do you want one that is heavier?

Lol, no I mean I want the Lancer ambi controls lower with the interchangeable flared magwell... that just so happens to be heavier than a polymer lower.

I dont specifically want a heavier lower for the sake of having a heavier lower.

vettely
04-05-2012, 23:24
My coworker, who is our dept M4 instructor, and I have been running the plum crazy lowers for almost two years and we really like them. Throw in a metal lower parts kit and you will have no problems.

I remember when no one would touch a "plastic" Glock with a 10' pole.

WoodenPlank
04-05-2012, 23:36
My coworker, who is our dept M4 instructor, and I have been running the plum crazy lowers for almost two years and we really like them. Throw in a metal lower parts kit and you will have no problems.

I remember when no one would touch a "plastic" Glock with a 10' pole.

Glocks were designed for a plastic from from the beginning, whereas the AR was not. Glad to hear your PC lowers have worked out, but plenty of people have had major problems.

Javelin
04-05-2012, 23:55
I'd be interested to see how they run.

It's not like it's made by ProMag or Tapco.

:rofl:

Javelin
04-05-2012, 23:56
It would be interesting "engraving" it for NFA. You could use a heat gun......

:supergrin:

vettely
04-06-2012, 00:16
It would be interesting "engraving" it for NFA. You could use a heat gun......

:supergrin:
Actually that's the reason we got them. We both had our RRA lowers registered and engraved and needed a quick replacement lower and the PC's were at the right place/time/price. When one breaks I'll let everyone know because I have no stock or interest in the company (no dog in the fight).

WoodenPlank
04-06-2012, 01:01
Actually that's the reason we got them. We both had our RRA lowers registered and engraved and needed a quick replacement lower and the PC's were at the right place/time/price. When one breaks I'll let everyone know because I have no stock or interest in the company (no dog in the fight).

I assume you mean that you needed replacement, non-SBR'd lowers.

vettely
04-06-2012, 01:31
I assume you mean that you needed replacement, non-SBR'd lowers.
Precisely. Now my RRA lower is married to me and my SBR upper.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/Vettely/019.jpg

WoodenPlank
04-06-2012, 01:34

Good. I didn't even want to consider the implications of doing a Form 1 on a plastic AR lower.... :whistling:

7.5" barrel, I assume?

vettely
04-06-2012, 01:40
Good. I didn't even want to consider the implications of doing a Form 1 on a plastic AR lower.... :whistling:

7.5" barrel, I assume?

Yes. $200, lots of gov hoop jumping and 6 month wait. But worth it.

WoodenPlank
04-06-2012, 01:43
Yes. $200, lots of gov hoop jumping and 6 month wait. But worth it.

I was lucky enough to do my F1 before the wait times got crazy, and only waited 59 days door to door.

RMTactical
04-08-2012, 17:57

beautiful!

M1A Shooter
04-08-2012, 20:25
the biggest problems with polymer anything is usually cost or public perception. there are polymers out there that are easily stronger than steel and have been used in vehicle wheels. with the right polymer and injection molding, this could easily be done on a large scale and be very decent pricewise and quality.

i am actually thinking of getting one of these as well. this $100 lower with a PSA lightweight 14.7 upper would be a great lightweight option for a backup or whatever. cheap too.

B.Reid
04-08-2012, 22:31
the biggest problems with polymer anything is usually cost or public perception. there are polymers out there that are easily stronger than steel and have been used in vehicle wheels. with the right polymer and injection molding, this could easily be done on a large scale and be very decent pricewise and quality.

i am actually thinking of getting one of these as well. this $100 lower with a PSA lightweight 14.7 upper would be a great lightweight option for a backup or whatever. cheap too.

Sounds like a handy truck gun.

Manimal
04-09-2012, 07:08

What length hand guard is that?

WoodenPlank
04-09-2012, 07:12
What length hand guard is that?

It's a 7.5" barrel, so I assume its a 7" carbine length handguard.

Manimal
04-09-2012, 07:22
It's a 7.5" barrel, so I assume its a 7" carbine length handguard.

Cool thanks! I have a KAC free floating RAS and I am trying to figure out what low-profile gas block will fit under it.