Holster oil [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster oil

digitalmike47
03-22-2012, 07:40
Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find the holster fourm.

Do any of you oil your leather holsters like you would a baseball glove to keep it in good shape? How about oil on the inside? Would you use a gun oil there?

Just curious...:headscratch:

Ethereal Killer
03-22-2012, 07:42
never oiled any of my leather holsters, and I use kydex for CCW. Usually you want those holsters stiff and oil kinda makes em floppy.

I wouldn't oil unless it got soaked wet or REALLY needed it. then only lightly

SigFTW
03-22-2012, 07:51
I use leather conditioning on my cowboy holsters but not any on my CCW holsters.

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 08:28
Most holster manufacturers seem to have different leather conditioning
requirements. I would highly suggest contacting the manufacturer & use
what they recommend for their particular product.

Bill Lumberg
03-22-2012, 08:44
No. Never had a holster that needed oiling, from high end to mediocre bianchi. I do, however, apply shoe polish every once in a while to maintain the appearance and gloss, as well as ensure that they don't become rough at the edges. Applied only to the outside, only the edges and side that faces outward, as this is the side that is subject to abraision and UV. Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find the holster fourm.

Do any of you oil your leather holsters like you would a baseball glove to keep it in good shape? How about oil on the inside? Would you use a gun oil there?

Travclem
03-22-2012, 08:54
Oiling BB gloves softens the leather, if you soften leather it loses it's shape. Since most leather holsters are molded for certain guns, I think oiling a holster would be bad juju. Generally it is best for holster to be fairly stiff for ease of reholstering, not to mention the worn out leather holster that pulled a trigger a while back.

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 08:56
Neutral shoe polish is all I've ever used to clean or treat holsters

scccdoc
03-22-2012, 08:57
Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find the holster fourm.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I use silicone spray on the inside to help prevent holster wear......... DOC

Shadyscott69
03-22-2012, 11:23
They only thing you should ever put on a leather holster is paste wax style shoe polish. Any type of oil will soften the leather and cause it to lose it's shape and boning. If you apply oil, soon you will have a noodle that is holster shaped

CAcop
03-22-2012, 11:33
I have had to use silicone spray on the inside of duty holsters but those are completely different animals than CCW holsters.

Happypuppy
03-22-2012, 12:40
I working for a motorcycle boot manufacturer. We use the same leather as in the premium holsters. I would suggest using Pecard's leather products. They have been around.since the start of the 20th century and making really good products. We tested a lot of them and they were the best we found. They do make a product with silicon in it as well. There is no problem with most leathers and using products with silicon. It is one of the questions I get asked most often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk