Smith&Wesson M&P 45? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smith&Wesson M&P 45?

Cole125
03-22-2012, 13:48
Fellows, I want to add a full size polymer .45 handgun to my collection and the S&W M&P 45 looks like a good option. For those who own or have shot one, how do you like it? How does the trigger compare to Glock? How is the reliability?

Also pics are always welcome! :cool:

KiloBravo
03-22-2012, 14:03
I fondled and shot a full sized M&P 9. I hated the trigger. It felt mushy and had no discernible reset point. The ergos for me personally were not great either. Glocks fit my large size hands better than the Smith did. It was reliable and accurate though.

Bren
03-22-2012, 14:21
My wife and I each have one. I have shot mine in a few matches. Good gun - trigger needs less movement to break than a Glock and can be improved easily. We both won them at matches. I use mine as a bedside gun.

G26S239
03-22-2012, 14:24
I have an M&P40c it is a pretty good gun. You will probably like the 45.

fastbolt
03-22-2012, 14:24
There's probably hours of postings logged on this subject. ;)

I like my DE M&P 45 w/thumb safeties better than any plastic-framed .45 I've handled & shot. That's why it's the only plastic .45 I've bought to date.

I've watched some other instructors with whom I work buy M&P 45's, too (4 of whom are Glock owners). One of them has retired his G21SF to the safe and bought more M&P's.

The triggers can be a bit rough when new, and the trigger pull weight has an expected tolerance of +/- 2 lbs. Mine smoothed out and lightened up considerably after being used for a while.

S&W has been working on a new trigger/sear housing for the M&P, reportedly due for release closer to summer. It'll be available in the 9/.40/.357 models first, followed by the .45's a bit later (unless they change their timetable, of course).

The new "trigger" is supposedly going to offer a lighter trigger pull, with a faster and more tactile/noticeable sear reset (for those folks who like to be aware of the "reset").

I shoot too many different pistol designs & models to ever limit myself to just ONE trigger stroke/reset, and I only shoot for defensive purpose/training (instead of dedicated target shooting), so I tend to shoot-to-recovery. Works with any pistol & revolver.

I've seen too many folks try to "ride-the-reset", meaning keeping their finger on the trigger before they're ready to fire an intentional subsequent shot, and then end up unintentionally "doubling" under recoil, or firing an unintended round when they were startled or overly-anxious for the next target during range drills/quals. Not something you'd want to happen outside the range, where unintentional shots can have tragic consequences.

But that's a bit off-topic.

Suffice to say the M&P 45's are selling as fast as the company can make them. ;)

I'd like another one (this time a compact).

Zell
03-22-2012, 15:13
Fellows, I want to add a full size polymer .45 handgun to my collection and the S&W M&P 45 looks like a good option. For those who own or have shot one, how do you like it? How does the trigger compare to Glock? How is the reliability?

Also pics are always welcome! :cool:

I bought the same gun this past Thursday and really like it. I have the full-size version. There are many Glock fans -- even those who have the G21 -- who after shooting the M&P 45 say the M&P is the best 45 they have ever shot. I've had Glock's G21 but sold it quite awhile ago but decided last week I wanted another 45. I already have the M&P 9c and I'm very impressed with it to the point I sold my Glock 19 awhile back as well. I thought about getting another G21 but decided I'd look at M&P's 45. As soon as I held it I knew that's what I wanted. Apparently I'm not the only one who wants one, at least around here, they're hard to get. I finally got one that was the display model. I couldn't even find a used one.

One thing to be aware of on the M&P, some of them have a wider than normal gap between the polymer frame and the slide toward the end of the gun. The space between the two edges looks as it should be just up until about 2" from the barrel's end where the spacing appears to slightly widen.

Below are a few pics to hopefully illustrate what I'm talking about. The first one is just the end of the barrel where the gap gets wider -- not sure if you can see it. In the second one you'll see a dime (seen sideways) that's in the gap -- the gap shouldn't be wide enough to let a dime in there. That dime fits in that space but as I move it in the seam, toward the grip, the gap narrows and prevents the dime from moving forward.

I wished I had noticed this when I bought mine. One guy I know from a S&W forum sent his M&P 45 to S&W to be repaired. It took him 4 weeks to get his gun back but they put on a new frame and it looks great.

It's a somewhat common issue but the gun works like it should. If you're not into the cosmetics of a gun then it won't be a problem for you because the gun shoots perfectly anyway. When you start looking at the M&P 45's, I'd inspect the gun before you buy it and make sure you're getting one that doesn't have the problem.

For me, last weekend I attached a small C-clamp to the top of the slide and bottom of the polymer dust cover. To protect the surfaces of the gun from the metal clamp, I put a small piece of extra rigid poster board on top of the slide and did the same on the bottom of the dust cover to shore it up. I tightened the clamp to the point where the gap disappeared. I then heated-up both sides of the dust cover with a hot hairdryer for several minutes. I let it sit for several hours with the clamp on and then hit it again with the hairdryer. Later I took off the clamp and the gap size is now down to normal (now a dime won't fit in there as it did before) and there is no signs of damage from using the hot hairdryer on it. The gun still works great. In fact, I think I'm a better marksman now because of the slight modification.:supergrin:

Anyway, good luck and enjoy it. You won't regret getting one.

zorro49
03-22-2012, 15:24
I have the mid-size frame, which is same size gun as the FS 9 MP. Shot only 3-400 rounds thru it without any issues. I have owned also an M&P 9 which was the gun I shot most(cost of ammo) and both are reliable weapons. The M&P 45 is as much gun in a 45 for the money on the market IMO, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get an entry level 45 for range, defense, or competition. zorro49

Zell
03-22-2012, 15:27
Oh, forgot about the trigger. Compared to the Glock, I like it a lot better but many have issues with it. When you first get the M&P you'll notice the trigger feels a bit "gritty" as you pull on it. That was on both my M&P's and disappears after the gun gets broken in. The gun does have a longer trigger pull but I see that as a safety feature and not a problem in shooting the gun. If that's a big deal to you then you can change-out the trigger but it hasn't deterred me from having fun as I shoot the gun.

TSAX
03-22-2012, 16:27
The M&Ps are excellent guns, I have a few and yes the trigger can be a pain, on round 1 it will feel one way but one round 500 it will feel better. Now to avoid this crap, I got the APEX sear, some use the whole kit and its very good. Dropped it in and its been great. Now for the M&P45, have you tested fired it, if you rent one those guns are pretty broken in. I have never like the M&P45, I prefer the 9mm and 40 S&W. I would say look at the XD or XDM 45 if you don't like the Glock 21 3rd or 4th Gen.

But try it first.

:50cal:

Bruce M
03-22-2012, 17:12
I like my M&P .45 better than a G21. And for me, Smith and Wesson's customer service was excellent.

bac1023
03-22-2012, 17:24
I think the M&P is a great pistol as far as polymers are concerned.

blastfact
03-22-2012, 18:34
I like mine.

Cole125
03-22-2012, 21:27
Zell and fastbolt(and everyone else too), thanks for taking the time to give me detailed input about the pistol. Now I just need to find one in stock somewhere!

cowboy1964
03-22-2012, 22:20
Don't sweat the trigger. I still shoot M&Ps better than basically anything else except something with a short, light, SA trigger. You can always improve it if it really bothers you anyway.

The M&P 45 compact is a sweet piece. I imagine the full size would shoot even better.

Zell
03-23-2012, 10:49
Zell and fastbolt(and everyone else too), thanks for taking the time to give me detailed input about the pistol. Now I just need to find one in stock somewhere!

Like I say, when you buy just make sure there's an even gap between the frame and slide running the length of the gun. You shouldn't have a hard time finding one like that -- if you can find a M&P in the first place. Again, this seems to be a problem only with the full-size .45.

Get the gun. You won't regret it. I'm looking forward to shooting mine tonight.

fastbolt
03-23-2012, 12:41
The "gap" toward the front of the frame's dustcover and the slide isn't an uncommon condition on M&P's. Both of mine made at different times, in different models, exhibit it to some degree. I've been told it's not considered a problem.

You can often take the UNLOADED pistol and push down on the top of the slide (toward the front) and see it disappear. In other words, the slide is being pushed forward, and slightly upwards, by the spring tension of the recoil spring assembly.

I actually prefer that condition than having the front edges of the frame pushed up against the slide and rubbing along it during functioning. (Where have we seen that happen? :whistling: )

Molded plastic (even the fiber reinforced stuff) can sometimes come out of the molds a bit less "perfect" than steel & aluminum that's been machined.