Do you catalog you firearms? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you catalog you firearms?

brausso
03-22-2012, 13:59
My collection is somewhere in the mid 20's and will continue to grow. About half of my purchases are from a LGS or online with FFL transfer. My others are purchased FTF and don't really have record of ownership. I am not required to register in my state. Just in case something crazy were to happen, I was thinking of cataloging my collection. Basically just taking pictures of the firearm along with the serial number.

Will this even hold any ground if I ever had to make an insurance claim? What do others do?

Berto
03-22-2012, 14:18
Not a bad idea for insurance purposes.
I have a bunch of guns, too.

rhino673
03-22-2012, 14:24
I don't but my father does. He has been collecting military rifles since the 80's and it is very interesting to see what he paid for them 20+ years ago then see the value of them today.
I should probably start cataloging my stuff too.

bac1023
03-22-2012, 14:55
I pretty much do.

ChicagoZman
03-22-2012, 15:05
Several years ago I made an excel spreadsheet showing Make, Model, Caliber, Serial #, Finish, Barrel Length, Date of Acquisition and Blue Book value for each of my guns. Update it when I add to my accumulation and update the values every couple of years.

Computer gets backed up regularly so I have the file in two locations. This takes me about five minutes every time I buy a gun and should allow me to file a decent insurance claim if I ever have a loss. It also allows me at a glance to see when I got that rifle I just realized was in the back of my safe.

collim1
03-22-2012, 15:10
I have the serial #, make, model, and caliber of every gun I own written down.

Will come in handy if my house ever gets broken into or catches fire.

ijacek
03-22-2012, 15:18
There is an app for that - "Gun Log +P" clear and easy interface, there is also an option for ammo and the accessories. Once complete, it can be emailed.

In addition, I do keep all of the receipts.

MNSurvival
03-22-2012, 15:30
I was thinking about using gun log +p - do you like it?

bac1023
03-22-2012, 16:26
Several years ago I made an excel spreadsheet showing Make, Model, Caliber, Serial #, Finish, Barrel Length, Date of Acquisition and Blue Book value for each of my guns. Update it when I add to my accumulation and update the values every couple of years.

Computer gets backed up regularly so I have the file in two locations. This takes me about five minutes every time I buy a gun and should allow me to file a decent insurance claim if I ever have a loss. It also allows me at a glance to see when I got that rifle I just realized was in the back of my safe.

I also use Excel.

It works great.

TSAX
03-22-2012, 16:28
Not a bad idea for insurance purposes.
I have a bunch of guns, too.

Yep, what he said

:50cal:

jrs93accord
03-22-2012, 16:48
I maintain an EXCEL spreadsheet with all of my firearms (up to 176 right now). Info recorded includes: Manufacturer, Model, Year, Code (if applicable), Caliber, Serial Number, and Origin. Since Jan of last year, I have maintained a NRA Firearms Record Book of each purchase. I also have my Requisition and Disposition record Sheet for my C&R purchases.

waynokarider01
03-22-2012, 17:40
Having the serial number can make the difference in getting your firearms back if they are ever stolen. My brother had one of his guns stolen during a break in. They put the serial number on the police report. About 6 months later, they raided a house and found his gun. He was shocked when he got the call to come pick it up at the sheriff's office. Its very worthwhile, insurance or not.

bac1023
03-22-2012, 17:47
I maintain an EXCEL spreadsheet with all of my firearms (up to 176 right now). Info recorded includes: Manufacturer, Model, Year, Code (if applicable), Caliber, Serial Number, and Origin. Since Jan of last year, I have maintained a NRA Firearms Record Book of each purchase. I also have my Requisition and Disposition record Sheet for my C&R purchases.

That's basically what I have, James. My latest Ruger Blackhawk makes 178. I plan on picking up another 7 to 10 this year yet.

jrs93accord
03-22-2012, 20:02
That's basically what I have, James. My latest Ruger Blackhawk makes 178. I plan on picking up another 7 to 10 this year yet.

That is about what I figure as well Brian. I have begun concentrating on my ARs again.

craig19
03-22-2012, 20:09
I have an excel spreadsheet, just in case they get stolen.

SigFTW
03-22-2012, 20:12
My collection is somewhere in the mid 20's and will continue to grow. About half of my purchases are from a LGS or online with FFL transfer. My others are purchased FTF and don't really have record of ownership. I am not required to register in my state. Just in case something crazy were to happen, I was thinking of cataloging my collection. Basically just taking pictures of the firearm along with the serial number.

Will this even hold any ground if I ever had to make an insurance claim? What do others do?

I need to do the same thing, I also need to get another safe :crying:

AZ Jeff
03-22-2012, 20:22
I have an Excel spreadsheet with make, model, SN, caliber. In addition, I scan copies of any receipts if bought from the LGS, and I photo the arm, plus a detailed photo of the SN, if needed.

All of this is on a CD in PDF format, in a safety deposit box, and at home in a fireproof safe.

cphilip
03-22-2012, 20:25
Sorry... I don't have any firearms... well... anymore... I just hang around you guys cause your cool and all that.

SigFTW
03-22-2012, 20:29
I have an Excel spreadsheet with make, model, SN, caliber. In addition, I scan copies of any receipts if bought from the LGS, and I photo the arm, plus a detailed photo of the SN, if needed.

All of this is on a CD in PDF format, in a safety deposit box, and at home in a fireproof safe.

All this talk about record-keeping makes me think of all the things I need to catalog, my swards, cowboy boots and guns. :wow::wow:

bustedknee
03-22-2012, 20:45
I also list the current value, in case something happens to me my wife will know how to price them at the funeral, er... I mean the garage sale.:animlol:

USMCsilver
03-22-2012, 20:49
Excel spreadsheet.

USB back-up in two safes. Then an online back-up with an Android app, as well as DROPBOX. If you're interested, then click this link: http://db.tt/Jiomdh1 and I'll get more space. :) Then, you can pass along your own link and get more space on the "skydrive", too!

thejellster05
03-22-2012, 22:55
I have a log too, I suck at excel so its just a loooong word document with model, make, serial number etc.

If anybody wants to share their excel spreadsheet template I would love to use it. I have googled but not found one I like.

Andrewsky
03-22-2012, 22:59
I don't need an Excel spreadsheet to know what guns I own.

Ammo is a different story. I have exact round counts of every caliber.

This way I know what I need to restock on.

racer88
03-22-2012, 23:30
After researching this a fair bit, I finally found a commercially available software for this very purpose. It's called MyGunDB (my gun database). It's an inexpensive, yet VERY well executed system to catalog ALL SORTS of info about each gun you own.

Also the developer is VERY open to suggestions (and quick to act on them). Updates itself automatically, too.

Here's their website: http://myifsgundb.com/

Raiden
03-23-2012, 04:06
Hah, I catalog my ammo and used targets... I even catalog some of the stuff I have in my kitchen. For my firearms, I keep pretty detailed logs about their condition, performance, and work done. Nothing super fancy, though, just an Excel spreadsheet with a few photos attached. It helps me keep everything straight in my head, would be useful for insurance purposes, and gives me something to do at 5am when I'm waiting for one of my servers to slooooowly reboot.

Decguns
03-23-2012, 04:17
Both Lee (the reloading guys) and Guns & Ammo have software for managing your collection. Available at most on-line reloading outlets for about $9. With a large collection (100+ guns), the automated report tends to be easier for the cops & insurance company to decifer than a home made Excel spreadsheet. Be sure to make several copies and put them in safe places. Laptops are typically a bad place to keep your info since they are the #1 item thieves like to cart off with.

Having had a guns stolen recently, the cops wanted make-model-caliber-serial number for the report. The insurance company has their own form that had to be filled out for each firearm. The insurance also wanted to know any upgrades or mod's. The receipt is worth it's weight in gold if your insurance offers replacement value. My villian took an entire 800lb gun safe! Put a tow chain around it and ripped the bolts right out of the wall & floor. Slid it right off my deck into his van. I was also able to claim magazines, ammo & accy's in the safe. Never hurts to keep a count of those items as well. The safe and the guns have never been recovered... probably sitting on the bottom of a swamp somewhere.

ijacek
03-23-2012, 07:23
I was thinking about using gun log +p - do you like it?

I love it, like I said it is very easy app to use.

bac1023
03-23-2012, 07:44
That is about what I figure as well Brian. I have begun concentrating on my ARs again.

Very cool James

I actually bought three revolvers already this year and will probably get another before I'm done. This may be a 1911-free year.

Three-Five-Seven
03-23-2012, 07:52
I have photos of each gun I own with the serial number and model designation displayed on a 8x10 piece of paper in the foreground.

I've had two friends who've lost their houses to fire during my lifetime. In both cases, it was very important to have had an eye witness account of what had been in the house prior to its destruction. In other words, a friend who's seen your stuff is invaluable in a time of crisis.

So, I have some friends who know I own guns. I invited them to dinner and gave them a tour of my safe one night.

My friends, the Excel Spreadsheet, and the photographs ought to be useful if I ever need them. I hope to God I never need them.

NDCent
03-23-2012, 07:59
I have a detailed list, looks like I need to add pictures.

jrs93accord
03-23-2012, 08:29
Very cool James

I actually bought three revolvers already this year and will probably get another before I'm done. This may be a 1911-free year.

I finished two ARs already and I have started on a third. This will take me up through Late April or May. I may be sqeezing a G20 in. It depends on how bad the guy wants to get rid of it.

M2 Carbine
03-23-2012, 08:41
I use Excell with all the gun info included.
I also have pictures of all the guns.

Take pictures of not only your guns but pictures of EVERYTHING.

When my gun shop burned down, showing the gun loss was easy.
Lucky I had pictures of the interior of the shop that showed all the other expensive stuff. EVERYTHING was replaced at current value, including replacing the few hundred dollar shop with a $5,000 Morgan building.:)

A couple dollars worth of pictures made the difference between a argument with the insurance company and being handed a $18,000 plus check.

bac1023
03-23-2012, 09:20
I finished two ARs already and I have started on a third. This will take me up through Late April or May. I may be sqeezing a G20 in. It depends on how bad the guy wants to get rid of it.
I have some nice purchases lined up for May as well. I will probably skip April. I already bought as many guns this year than I did in all of 2011.

Houdini
03-23-2012, 13:03
I think that a great idear

CBennett
03-23-2012, 17:02
No, I just dont have enough or any that are expensive enough(nothing over $450) to bother...I think my entire collection totals 14 guns (and most of them probably 1/2 .22 LR pistols or rifles) IF I has stuff like say BAC :) yeah id have a giant vault and everything catalogued :)

Brian Lee
03-23-2012, 17:50
I even have a detailed log of how many rounds I've fired through each gun, and I can look up exactly how much ammo I have on hand without counting it.

Anal retentive? Perhaps... But if somebody ever stole a box of my ammo I'd know exactly what kind it was that went missing - just in case the cops want to know.

redrick
03-23-2012, 18:24
I don't just do it for guns. I also have pictures, and description of everything of value that I own. I keep a 3rd copy at my fathers house.

jtull7
03-23-2012, 19:13
I also have the serial #, make, model, and caliber of every gun I own written down. It's in a Word file. I try not to get too anal about it.

ReyFufuRulesAll
03-28-2012, 02:13

Great idea, but remember that burned discs tend to deteriorate and the data starts to corrupt after about 7 or so years.

:thumbsup:

FL Airedale
03-28-2012, 05:31
I keep copies of all my firearm receipts on Google docs. That way I can pull up serial numbers any place there is an internet connection.