Trayvon Martin's Life One of Hundreds Ended by Concealed Carry Killers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trayvon Martin's Life One of Hundreds Ended by Concealed Carry Killers

count_schemula
03-22-2012, 23:23
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/trayvon-martin_b_1373642.html

Unfortunately, look for more of this tone in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, from what evidence I have been been exposed to, it is my opinion that it looks highly possible/probable that Zimmerman acted wrong on many levels even before what is looking like an unjustified killing/use of force and Zimmerman should be brought to justice.

I'm upset because this reflects poorly on all of us.

We need to double down on our proper behavior and the AWESOME responsibility that comes with carrying in public.

Last week I was proud to be licensed carry. I'm still proud and I know why I carry, but it's more difficult this week.

Public perception of carry just took a massive hit.

Moderator Note: Later in this thread this exchange is posted...Why start another thread when there are several ongoing right now on this topic? :wavey:I see the one about the incident in general.

This one is specifically about the coming assault on carry laws and also about public perception of carry in general...

Before this incident, I had noticed that some people understood why I carry. Some thought I was a little bit paranoid. Now add wannabe vigilante to mix.

Before I was not all that worried if people noticed that I was carrying, now I know people are going to look at me differently.

My point with this thread is that very suddenly, things just got a lot more complicated for those of us who carry for personal protection, as intended.

I'm not that interested in talking about the actual incident, as I am the repercussive effects of the incident. This is a defining incident that is going to have some impact.
count_schemula wants to discuss the aftermath coming against the 2nd Amendment.

Please, keep your discussions within those boundaries.

Talk about what is happening within your community, your city or county, your state.

Discuss the effects this is having, will have on those of us who carry.

Any off-topic, rude, trolling posts will be removed from the open forum.

This isn't about count_schemula's interpretation of and compliance with Georgia Law, either.

Thank you...

RussP

Mr. Blandings
03-22-2012, 23:41
Florida Governor Rick Scott has announced he will form a "Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection to investigate how to make sure a tragedy such as this does not occur in the future, while at the same time, protecting the fundamental rights of all of our citizens - especially the right to feel protected and safe in our state."

EVERYTHING (Stand Your Ground, CCW, CCW training/issuance requirements, etc.) will be on the table for review now, and you can be sure that every person/group with an interest is going to try to get their piece of the pie.

30+ years of RTKBA success in Florida are all at risk now.

Tiro Fijo
03-22-2012, 23:48
Why start another thread when there are several ongoing right now on this topic? :wavey:

count_schemula
03-22-2012, 23:56
Why start another thread when there are several ongoing right now on this topic? :wavey:

I see the one about the incident in general.

This one is specifically about the coming assault on carry laws and also about public perception of carry in general.

Before this incident, I had noticed that some people understood why I carry. Some thought I was a little bit paranoid. Now add wannabe vigilante to mix.

Before I was not all that worried if people noticed that I was carrying, now I know people are going to look at me differently.

I live in downtown Atlanta and did not take my gun with me to run a few errands tonight. No idea why, just didn't, even though I normally would. I drove through an area at about the same exact time a cop was shot in the leg tonight, in an area I frequent.

http://eastatlanta.patch.com/articles/altlanta-police-seek-little-five-pts-cop-shooter

My point with this thread is that very suddenly, things just got a lot more complicated for those of us who carry for personal protection, as intended.

Before this incident, I would walk to a bar or restaurant and ask the owner if it was ok if had a gun and a carry license. Not a single owner ever said no, and everyone knew why i had a gun for walking through the Old Fourth Ward at midnight. Now things suddenly seem a lot more complicated.

I'm not that interested in talking about the actual incident, as I am the repercussive effects of the incident. This is a defining incident that is going to have some impact.

If someone somewhere wants to delete or merge, that's fine, but I think it's a different thread. Hell, I could have asked G17 or G22, which is better? lol

Mr. Blandings
03-23-2012, 00:27
The local prosecutor has stepped aside, also. Florida Governor Rick Scott has appointed a prosecutor to handle the investigation.

Also, Gov. Scott has announced, "I will call for a Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection to investigate how to make sure a tragedy such as this does not occur in the future, while at the same time, protecting the fundamental rights of all of our citizens - especially the right to feel protected and safe in our state."

Source: Governor appoints new state attorney, task force in Trayvon Martin case (http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/3/22/governor_appoints_ne)

Mr. Blandings
03-23-2012, 00:37
I agree that this is a different discussion from the threads concerning the shooting itself.
There is the shooting, and now there is the aftermath, particularly the political aftermath of the shooting.

The move by Gov. Scott to launch a task force concerns me greatly. To me, it indicates that a sitting Republican governor is willing to consider significant changes to the current laws.

Florida's laws on CCW and use of force have been cited as the model used to expand these horizons in other states for over 30 years (the Florida law on CCW was changed in 1987, and ushered in a new age of "shall-issue" carry permit laws across the nation). What happens here will be closely watched by the rest of the country.

I am deeply concerned that this will have a negative impact on the successful progression we have seen in just the past few years concerning CCW, shall-issue, "Vermont carry", opening previously closed locations to CCW (such as college campuses), and obviously Stand Your Ground laws.

Rick68FL
03-23-2012, 00:55
Before this incident, I would walk to a bar or restaurant and ask the owner if it was ok if had a gun and a carry license.

:upeyes:

count_schemula
03-23-2012, 01:14
:upeyes:

Sound weird?

Well, I walk to these places to eat and the law as written in Georgia says a restaurant is ok, but a bar requires owner permission. A lot of places that qualify as decent places to eat just happen to be bars or gastropubs here.

The walk can be up to a mile or two through neighborhoods in transition where street jacks are common.

So, did you have a specific reason for rolling your eyes?

What is with this place? First dude calls me for making a unique thread since he rashly deemed it a duplicate and now you are calling me out for following the law as I understand it.

Rick68FL
03-23-2012, 01:17
So, did you have a specific reason for rolling your eyes?

Yup. I think anyone who walks into a restaurant, seeks out the owner/manager and announces that he is armed and asks if that is ok is an attention-seeking tool.

Any more questions?

kirgi08
03-23-2012, 01:18
:popcorn:

ancient_serpent
03-23-2012, 01:26
Just went on the HuffPo link and corrected as much of the ignorance there as I could. Holy crap there are some retards out there. Wouldn't be so bad if they were actually making an educated argument, but most of it is "Oh that's terrible, please tell us how to ban more guns VPC!!"

count_schemula
03-23-2012, 01:26
Yup. I think anyone who walks into a restaurant, seeks out the owner/manager and announces that he is armed and asks if that is ok is an attention-seeking tool.

Any more questions?

I just told you it's the law in Georgia.

count_schemula
03-23-2012, 01:30

Nah...

High Altitude
03-23-2012, 01:59
It is open season on guns, ccw and gun owners................

You could write any article about guns and ccw and use the most hate filled words and no one would bat an eye right now.

The special interest groups, politicians and media are going for the gold.

c6601a
03-23-2012, 02:13
What is with this place? First dude calls me for making a unique thread since he rashly deemed it a duplicate and now you are calling me out for following the law as I understand it.The law, as you state it says that carrying in a bar requires permission. But earlier you stated that you inform the owner at a bar and restaurant. In the same post, you stated "I was not all that worried if people noticed that I was carrying". Concealed means exactly that: Concealed or hidden. No one should be able to notice that you are carrying. If someone is able to notice that you are carrying, you just failed.

The fact that you are advertising that you carry makes you come across as an immature attention seeker or cop wannabe. Both of those are highly frowned upon.

count_schemula
03-23-2012, 02:51
The restaurant thing was confusing writing on my part. I never tell the manager in a place that is a straight restaurant. But I live downtown we have a lot of bars with food or food places that sell a lot of alcohol, I'm not sure which is which. This is not Oregon, we don't use the bar/tavern designation. I only inform bar owners/managers and just because it is the law as I understand it and I walk or ride my bicycle to and from the bar. Even if I drive I'm likely to wear it in since car windows get smashed all the time around here.

Pulling the owner/manager aside and getting quick permission is not advertising anything to anyone other than the person responsible for running the place I'm in. They have the option to say no, in which case, I would simply leave. No one has ever said no. I was only using this story to show how carry, before Trayvon was socially acceptable and even understood. That's it. It's not the focal point of this thread. Merely an example of public acceptance which is crucial if we are going to be allowed to carry post Trayvon.

This is all from 2009 SB308 modifying O.C.G.A. 16-11-127 (b) 6.

Things are lax in Georgia. No training required, just a background check and at the courthouse, no information or handouts or anything. In fact, the clerk just said "look it up on the Internet."

The main website I use is http://www.georgiacarry.org/

My desire to impress or show off or seem vigilante is zero. My desire to present a good cooperative image and be in compliance with any laws is 100%.

On your other point. If I look around I can see people carrying sometimes. A bulge, a holster under a jacket, whatever. Maybe I just notice things other people don't or aren't looking for. Part of carrying a gun is being pretty freaking aware of your surroundings, which, alone has been my best weapon for evading trouble. Before Trayvon, I don't think that if someone noticed I was carrying that it was a big deal. Now, maybe it is.

Besides, I could carry openly, so this secret agent business about 100% conceal is a non-issue. The law does not say I have to conceal anyhow. But, yes, I do, and it's probably much better that way.

So, in a thread about carry being under public perception and legislative assault the best the high school drop out sales guy who's pic is of him about to blast his bathroom mirror off the wall can do is to call me a tool and you chime in with immature attention seeking cop wannabe. Awesome.

count_schemula
03-23-2012, 02:52

Well, maybe just a little bit. ;)

kirgi08
03-23-2012, 02:58
Hold on.When folk start ta wake up this thread will get lively.'08.

RussP
03-23-2012, 04:03
Please take your blood pressure meds before reading...Meet George Zimmerman: He Is the NRA (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-gross/george-zimmerman-nra_b_1372873.html)

Misty02
03-23-2012, 04:58
The local prosecutor has stepped aside, also. Florida Governor Rick Scott has appointed a prosecutor to handle the investigation.

Also, Gov. Scott has announced, "I will call for a Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection to investigate how to make sure a tragedy such as this does not occur in the future, while at the same time, protecting the fundamental rights of all of our citizens - especially the right to feel protected and safe in our state."

Source: Governor appoints new state attorney, task force in Trayvon Martin case (http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/3/22/governor_appoints_ne)

Good law abiding people die every day when they shouldnít have to. They are guilty of nothing more than being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Many die at the hand of criminals, others die in accidents (vehicular and others). No government can make its citizens feel protected and safe, it is not something they can deliver.

At this moment you can take away stand your ground laws and all firearms in the state and those protesting may feel safe for a minute or two. In reality, they wouldnít be any safer, there would just be a greater segment of the population vulnerable and at risk.

Any feeling of being protected or safe that we, ourselves, didnít have a hand in personally creating for our family, is a dream that doesnít exist. A dream from which there would be quite a rude awakening. Even those that do the most to increase their and their familyís safety shouldnít take it for granted and must remain ever vigilant and prepared. Thatís the only way to attain a small fraction of that feeling they now wish to make others believe the government can deliver.

HexHead
03-23-2012, 05:46
I think some of you are greatly over thinking this whole thing.

hardbargin
03-23-2012, 06:44
I see the one about the incident in general.

This one is specifically about the coming assault on carry laws and also about public perception of carry in general.

I live in downtown Atlanta and did not take my gun with me to run a few errands tonight. No idea why, just didn't, even though I normally would. I drove through an area at about the same exact time a cop was shot in the leg tonight, in an area I frequent.

http://eastatlanta.patch.com/articles/altlanta-police-seek-little-five-pts-cop-shooter

Before this incident, I would walk to a bar or restaurant and ask the owner if it was ok if had a gun and a carry license. Not a single owner ever said no, and everyone knew why i had a gun for walking through the Old Fourth Ward at midnight. Now things suddenly seem a lot more complicated.

If someone somewhere wants to delete or merge, that's fine, but I think it's a different thread. Hell, I could have asked G17 or G22, which is better? lol

this is a great example of what the tyrants are. getting into your mind and making you fill guilty of not wanting to protect your own life. donot be submissive. this ongoing
debacle will further weaken all who are weak in the mind.
everywhere around you today the movement is watering down your wholesome mind! :wow: going to be another south africa :wow:

pipedreams
03-23-2012, 06:59
As others have said, I think we need to step back and wait for the facts. This very well could end up being another Duke Lacrosse story with Sharpton and all involved or a Tawana Brawley.

rvrctyrngr
03-23-2012, 08:07

I saw that this morning, Mr. B. Wonderful.

Our SA, Angela Corey is the appointed 'special prosecutor' assigned to the case.

I'm sure everything will be better now. :upeyes:

TBO
03-23-2012, 08:17
Please take your blood pressure meds before reading...Meet George Zimmerman: He Is the NRA (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-gross/george-zimmerman-nra_b_1372873.html)Too late :steamed::puking::steamed:

RenegadeGlocker
03-23-2012, 08:21
The media is engaged in a massive campaign to distort the facts and make gun owners look bad, starting with using an old picture of him and not a current one.

Expect more bad press for CHLs.

James Dean
03-23-2012, 08:23
. Good law abiding people die every day when they shouldn’t have to. They are guilty of nothing more than being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Many die at the hand of criminals, others die in accidents (vehicular and others). No government can make its citizens feel protected and safe, it is not something they can deliver.

At this moment you can take away stand your ground laws and all firearms in the state and those protesting may feel safe for a minute or two. In reality, they wouldn’t be any safer, there would just be a greater segment of the population vulnerable and at risk.

Any feeling of being protected or safe that we, ourselves, didn’t have a hand in personally creating for our family, is a dream that doesn’t exist. A dream from which there would be quite a rude awakening. Even those that do the most to increase their and their family’s safety shouldn’t take it for granted and must remain ever vigilant and prepared. That’s the only way to attain a small fraction of that feeling they now wish to make others believe the government can deliver.

Good post Misty. This could also work the other way.
You could see a lot more then usual in Florida applying for CWL's, and buying a lot more guns, and a lot more ammo. They too vote. Don't think Rick Scott people are not looking at the numbers of CWL holders and gun owners. We are just not a few but many, and we vote too.

rvrctyrngr
03-23-2012, 08:26
Too late :steamed::puking::steamed:

No kidding. I need to go get refills.

TBO
03-23-2012, 08:28
It was the first article I stumbled across today, didn't need the coffee to finish brewing to get the morning off to a quick start.

That's the 2nd day in a row I read an incredibly biased/emotion based "article". The other one was so bad I didn't post it here, but in the GNG thread on this incident.

HK Dan
03-23-2012, 08:44
Your article is from the Huffington Post. For Christ's sake what did you expect from those liberal pukes? I agree that we don't have all the facts, but the facts that we do have don't look good for ole Zimmerman. He screwed up, and we may all pay the price for it.

rvrctyrngr
03-23-2012, 08:50
It was the first article I stumbled across today, didn't need the coffee to finish brewing to get the morning off to a quick start.

That's the 2nd day in a row I read an incredibly biased/emotion based "article". The other one was so bad I didn't post it here, but in the GNG thread on this incident.

Sorry your day started out that way, TBO. It's about the 20th I've read today....will see if my Doc will add a healthy dose of valium to my 'script list! :supergrin:

pipedreams
03-23-2012, 09:22
The media is engaged in a massive campaign to distort the facts and make gun owners look bad, starting with using an old picture of him and not a current one.

Expect more bad press for CHLs.

How true and I noticed the picture of the kid must of been taken when he was in grade school. Wonder why they didn't show a current picture of him at 17. Good chance he looks considerably different and maybe a foot taller Zimmerman. Let the investigation determine the facts.

RenegadeGlocker
03-23-2012, 09:25
Another heavily biased article coming after Gun Owners and Castle/SYG Laws:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/23/10822563-gunshine-state-survivor-of-shoot-first-incident-tells-his-tale

Not a CHL, actually an Ex-Cop, but still a Castle Case.

rvrctyrngr
03-23-2012, 09:43
Another heavily biased article coming after Gun Owners and Castle/SYG Laws:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/23/10822563-gunshine-state-survivor-of-shoot-first-incident-tells-his-tale

Not a CHL, actually an Ex-Cop, but still a Castle Case.

I remember that case. Police determined Rosenbloom had forcefully entered Allen's home. The 'new' law would not have even applied (and it wasn't).

We've never had a duty to retreat from our homes (based upon Florida common law and legal precedent). Rosenbloom is indeed lucky he wasn't DRT. IIRC, he attempted to sue Allen, and that was thrown out, too.

Journalistic integrity died a horrible death years ago. :steamed:

TBO
03-23-2012, 10:17
Obama: 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon'

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/justice/florida-teen-shooting/index.html

ballr4lyf
03-23-2012, 10:21
Journalistic integrity died a horrible death years ago. :steamed:

While I agree with you here, I believe that the sheeple are not aware of this. That being the case, the media is using their own lack of integrity to shift the opinions of the sheeple into their stable.

The problem is, there is a lack of coverage of the members of the "gun culture" decrying the travesties such as the Trayvon Martin case. There are plenty of people within the gun culture who are doing just that... They're just not getting the coverage... That's because the coverage is dictated by the biased media.

We're kinda stuck in a Catch 22. :faint:

High Altitude
03-23-2012, 10:23
Please take your blood pressure meds before reading...Meet George Zimmerman: He Is the NRA (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-gross/george-zimmerman-nra_b_1372873.html)

Garbage article. The media and special interest groups are going to take this one as far as possible.

Bren
03-23-2012, 10:34

I should probably just skip this whole thread, huh?

ballr4lyf
03-23-2012, 10:40

Anybody want to take a guess as to whose name Obama will be using to get new gun control legislation passed? :faint:

He's laying the groundwork.

redbaron007
03-23-2012, 11:08

Obama: "I think all of us have to do some Soul Searching to figure out how does something like this happen'.

Just what do you mean by this King Obama?

:wavey:

red

RussP
03-23-2012, 12:39
I should probably just skip this whole thread, huh?Probably...:animlol:

LongGoneDays
03-23-2012, 16:12
No one takes HuffPo seriously. No one of any moderate level of intelligence. I'll now read the article and be stupefied by the sheer ignorance.

*read article*

FOUR + THREE IS 27
THE CAPITAL OF EARTH IS FRANCE
PURPLE IS THE BEST SOUND
CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY ON MY WAYWARRRRRRRRRRRRRD SON

*bangs head on desk*

Whew, that was a close one!

LongGoneDays
03-23-2012, 16:32

I know right!

I guess if I get shot down by some light skinned 17 year old black criminal I won't expect Obama to care that I look nothing like any kid he could ever make.

That quote alone has me deciding I am going to vote, I had said it was a waste of my time but never mind on that. Even if it is to show him 1 more redneck in Louisiana disapproves of his complete obvious hatred of anything I stand for.

kensteele
03-23-2012, 18:52
Anybody want to take a guess as to whose name Obama will be using to get new gun control legislation passed? :faint:

He's laying the groundwork.

Probably so. Add that on top of Giffords and you have the entire framework for landmark gun control.

kensteele
03-23-2012, 19:01

Oh crap, well I don't see how Obama can sign National Reciprocity bill into law at this point if Zimmerman does not go to trial. For various reasons. :(

NMGlocker
03-23-2012, 19:07
Here's hoping Obama tries to CRAM gun control down our throats.
I'm tired of waiting around for the last straw, chunk a brick on that camel.

Gunnut 45/454
03-23-2012, 22:35
Well I guess you Floridians better get off your arses and fight for what you got and not let the Liberal POS take what you have! Start by getting out there an fight! They are going to get your Castle law repealed! You can bet on it! Start calling and write every legistlator to make sure they know you will not except any change to the law!:steamed:

Z28ricer
03-24-2012, 00:54
I like how this thread is based, just like all of the others upon the lies and spin the media is just rolling on out, and even people here are buying the crap they're selling.

I was shown this recent article, mentioning myself, and as usual an incorrect, complete fallacy as to what happened....

http://www.occupywallst.org/forum/trayvon-one-of-many-and-if-we-act-the-last/

Carlos Mustelier November 2010 Florida

Thomas Baker was on his normal early morning jog in Town ‘n’ Country, Florida, when he got into a fight with two hooded teens, ages 18 and 16. Carlos Mustelier, the 18-year-old, punched Baker, according to police reports. That’s when Baker pulled out his .45-caliber semiautomatic, for which he had a permit, and shot at Mustelier eight times. Mustelier died. The 16-year-old was not hurt. Neither teen was armed. Neither had a criminal record. Baker and the teens were in fact neighbors. Because of Florida’s Stand Your Ground law, prosecutors declined to charge Baker in the killing. “It was a terrible thing,” Baker told the Tampa Bay Times. “He was a good kid,” a friend said of Mustelier, who was “spoiled” by his mother.

To illustrate just how accurate the media is, they got the names right, and the area, as well as the caliber.

Other than that, none of the "facts" printed were facts at all.

There was no fight, the teens had no criminal record ?

Really that would be minor records, not available for them to print.

Neighbors ? Hardly, the 18 yr old did not live in the neighborhood.

Neither teen was armed ? Really now they know that because of the one that didnt flee the scene for an hour, well he couldnt possibly have hidden or gotten rid of anything.

There was no "killing" as they'd like to paint it, only two guys blindsiding someone they didnt know without so much as a word, no fight, just an attack on someone walking past them, and defense from an attacker.

Keep on believing the media, and what they want you to hear.

Misty02
03-24-2012, 06:27

Thanks a LOT, Russ! :shocked:

I think some of you are greatly over thinking this whole thing.

Over thinking it in which way?

By now there are few, if any, that have not heard about this case. The problem is that most may have read a single article, maybe two, and have developed an opinion based on them, TV and radio have solidified that opinion. People, by nature, arenít patient. If they donít want to invest time following a story they just do a quick categorizing and file it away.

I have tried really hard to stay away from discussing this with most family, friends and co-workers when theyíre talking about it. When theyíve tried to pull me in the conversation the most Iím willing to say is that Zimmerman should not have left his vehicle to start with, after that I find an excuse to leave the room. I donít like the things Iím hearing from those previously on the fence about firearms (and some that weren't). If not for those in my household and the two forums I participate in, I would have nowhere to bounce things off others to learn and explore other potential perspectives.

My own mother, who has been supportive of me carrying, made a comment that I had to bite my tongue, take a couple of seconds to gather my thoughts and respond in a way that she would not be offended. Her comment was something along the line of ďSee what happen to people that go around carrying guns all the time? They think theyíre invincible and end up killing the wrong person. You better be careful if youíre going to continue carrying that gun wherever you go.Ē This coming from a person that the second she hears something outside she runs to the window while Iím telling her ďstay away from the freaking window unless you know there is no danger on the other sideĒ or when out, wanting to go investigate what is going on since there is a group of people gathered somewhere. If you donít know what is going on over there, why in heavenís name are you going? Me? Iím going in the opposite direction of whatever is taking place. If Iím curious enough Iíll tune in and see if there was anything on the news about it. She knows Iím the type to walk away in the opposite direction of trouble or the unknown and she is attempting to put me in the same category as Zimmerman because I too carry? I know she meant well, I donít believe she intended it the way I took it. Nonetheless, yes, people are changing the way they see us and not for the better. I can only hope it is a temporary setback.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/justice/florida-teen-shooting/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/justice/florida-teen-shooting/index.html)

Well, at least he didnít say (this time) that the police acted stupidly.

mrsurfboard
03-24-2012, 08:42
I would expect no less from the "huff poo"

TBO
03-24-2012, 09:58
Americaís Wild West gun laws

http://blogs.reuters.com/bernddebusmann/2012/03/23/americas-wild-west-gun-laws/

Where's the Trayvon Martin petition about gun control?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2012/0323/Where-s-the-Trayvon-Martin-petition-about-gun-control

mrsurfboard
03-24-2012, 10:16
Any chance of nationwide carry reciprocity died with Trayvon Martin. Not that it had much chance to begin with, now it has no chance.

Misty02
03-24-2012, 13:24
http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-the-governor/ (http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-the-governor/)

The above is a link where we can send an email to Governor Scott. It was posted in another forum I participate in. Iíve sent my email as others have. Please send yours as he is under enormous pressure at the moment and needs to hear from all sides if he is to make a fair decision.

This was mine. Each should be different and expressing our own opinions on this subject, avoid canned responses that don't represent your own personal thoughts.

Subject: Stand your ground laws

Dear Governor Scott:

I cannot even begin to imagine the pressure you must be under at the moment. I am the mother of three; one of them has made me a grandmother three times. As Trayvonís parents, I too would be devastated and wanting justice for the death of my child.

While I can see things from their point of view and that of a community affected by the loss of a young man, we have to remember that good law abiding citizens die every day when they shouldnít have to. They are guilty of nothing more than being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Many die at the hand of criminals; others die in accidents (vehicular and other types).

As much as you may want to make citizens feel protected and safe, it is not something you or even the police can deliver; none of you can be in all places at once to prevent crime or save someoneís life. Each and every one of us is responsible for our safety and that of our family; please make no revisions that would place our ability to do so in jeopardy.

Even if you were able to remove all firearms from the state of Florida and do away with stand your ground laws, it would not result in anyone being safer; it would just result in a greater segment of the population being vulnerable and at risk. People were killing people long before firearms were invented, its existence helps the smaller, weaker and infirm not fall prey to stronger and determined criminals.

Any feeling of being protected or safe that we, ourselves, didnít have a hand in personally creating for our family is a dream that doesnít exist. A dream from which there would be quite a rude awakening. Even those that do the most to increase their and their familyís safety shouldnít take it for granted and must remain ever vigilant and prepared. Thatís the only way to attain a small fraction of that feeling many want the government to provide.

Respectfully yours,

rvrctyrngr
03-24-2012, 13:44
Don't I know you? :supergrin:

Misty02
03-24-2012, 14:15
Don't I know you? :supergrin:

:rofl: Yes, but do you really want to admit to that? :supergrin:

ATW525
03-24-2012, 17:27
This might be slightly off topic, but I suspect based on the timing it may be politically motivated and related to the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin Incident:

NYPD fires the officers involved in the Sean Bell shooting:

http://www.theroot.com/nypd-fires-sean-bell-officers

kensteele
03-24-2012, 20:42
This might be slightly off topic, but I suspect based on the timing it may be politically motivated and related to the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin Incident:

NYPD fires the officers involved in the Sean Bell shooting:

http://www.theroot.com/nypd-fires-sean-bell-officers

Probably so. I would do the right thing too and avoid firing up the community. You think Sanford rallys are big?

So do you think other departments across the country are getting the message too or do you think they are basically saying go back to doing business as usual, we'll deal with it when and if it happens to us?