any xdm help available? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any xdm help available?

dave333
03-23-2012, 07:09
Just bought a new xdm 5.25 competition and really like it. This is my first xd product, have had glocks up to this point. I really like it, it is super accurate right out of the box but I have a couple of questions hopefully some of the more experienced xdm owners can help clear up for me.

I fired about 200 rounds at the range on my first outing and a couple of days later shot an idpa match. Had a couple of problems I need help understanding.

First, the recoil spring doesnt seem to hold the slide forward very firmly when the pistol is cocked. When a round is chambered it takes almost no effort for the slide to start to move rearward, if it moves back just enough the barrel starts to tip down, gun is out of battery and it hangs up. I had a round not fire due to this in the idpa match. Has anyone else noticed this, had to change out the recoil spring to a firmer one, etc or is something wrong with the gun?

Secondly at the range I had several failure to feed steel cased ammo. The rounds would actually get hung up in the magazine, like the rounds were rubbing against the sides of the mags and not going all the way to the top of the mag. Is this normal with steel cased ammo?

Third, and this is most likely me, the slide doesnt lock back on an empty mag most of the time. Im sure Im hitting the slide release the way I hold the gun but Ive never had this problem with my glock and my thumb hits that slide release basically the same way. The glock slide release is smaller so my thumb is probably below it, but I hate to totally regrip this one gun so it works properly.

Any insight on these issues would really be appreciated. The first one is the one that concerns me the most, im concerned this could be a bigger problem the more rounds I put through it. The other two Im sure I can work around.

Thanks.

faawrenchbndr
03-23-2012, 07:37
I've owned two XD models and three XDm models, never had any of the issues you have.
One point though I do not shoot steel case ammo in anything.

gasboffer
03-23-2012, 08:36
Have two XDMs, don't have any of the problems you are saying you have.

faawrenchbndr
03-23-2012, 08:46
And just to add,.........I'm not saying your "issues" are not valid......
Just that I have not experienced any of these problems.

dave333
03-23-2012, 12:04
And just to add,.........I'm not saying your "issues" are not valid......
Just that I have not experienced any of these problems.

No worries. I can adapt to the slide release and maybe stronger mag springs or some lube in the mags may fix the steel case ammo issue. It seems to feed brass fine. The thing that bothers me the most is the almost free play in the slide on a chambered round. Ive never had another pistol have this. Im thinking maybe recoil spring not strong enough but thats a guess. I really like the xdm but the slide thing is bothering me a bit. Maybe a call to Springfield Armory may help, I understand their customer service is excellant.

faawrenchbndr
03-23-2012, 12:21
Sending a pm Dave'

Comedian
03-23-2012, 12:59
None of my XDM's or XD's have had the issues you describe. Maybe you should send it in to Springfield Armory. They will fix your pistol.