Changing magazine release on AR-15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Changing magazine release on AR-15

ggarciatx
03-23-2012, 13:54
Mas,
Hello, I am a Police Officer and have been looking for an AR-15 for plinking and the ranch. I have noticed some MP-15 Sport models for good prices but with the California Bullet button. I called S&W to inquire the ability to change the Bullet button out with a regular AR mag release. I am in Texas and there are no laws about Bullet buttons here. Two S&W reps both told me that it would void the warranty and one even said it would be a liability if ever used in self defense situation. I see guys making frankenstein ARs on the net and really do not see a liability problem in putting in a regular release as every single one sold in Texas has one to begin with. I don't ever plan on moving to California. The reps both said the serial numbers will show the Bullet button configuration if every questioned. What is your take on this? Have you ever heard of anything like a Mag release being used against a person who used one in Self Defense?
Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
03-23-2012, 15:33
Brother Garcia, I don't see a problem with the modification. It's not required in Texas, as noted, and what you're talking about is simply returning the conformity to that of "common custom and practice" in law enforcement and general AR15 usage.

Going on the presumption that you'll be using it as a privately owned, department approved patrol rifle, there is a good chance that a brother officer might have to use your AR. They would have every reason to expect it to work like a normal AR they were trained with. Therefore, your modification fulfills an occupational safety need.

Cordially,
Mas