Depleted Natural Resources / Extended Issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Depleted Natural Resources / Extended Issue

NecoDude
03-23-2012, 13:59
I was wondering about your thoughts on how to protect Natural Resources in the event of a severe, extended event. For clarification, let's say a nationwide event lasting longer than 6 months where transportation is halted due to a pandemic.

I will preface by saying I am unequivocally, undeniably completely dead set against Poaching of any kind/form/fashion and think anyone who does is a lower level life form.

With that said, in the event an issue lasted beyond my prep supplies, I'm not sure if I would pass an opportunity to feed my family by obtaining game out of season. Would this now make me the aforementioned low life?

Currently there's approximately 311.6 million people in the U.S., granted a portion are vegan or what have you. A portion won't have the means or opportunity, but there will be a portion of residents that have the capability. It's pretty obvious that a national deer population of approximately 30 million, and elk population significantly less at 782 thousand (non-captive), those species would not last long at all.

Ducks, geese, fish, are all in the same scope here (pun not intended). My long term plan includes renewable resources like chickens and such but "what if"..

Do we make a pact not to eat animals in the zoo and hope they can repopulate the country after life returns to normal? Due to genetics issues this probably wouldn't work too well.

I know this is a little random and out there but I've just been wondering what others believe we can do to protect yet utilize our natural resources in a situation as above.

thesurefire
03-23-2012, 14:19
Sadly in an event that lasts 6 months I see most zoo animals going extinct. Theres no way I'm going to donate a portion of my stocks to try and feed a elephant when its not clear when or how (if ever) order will be restored.

If TSHTF in my mind all critters are fair game.

If it eases your mind I know that at least some of the endangered animals have had their DNA sequenced so we can genetically engineer "clones" at a later time to bring them back.

In my mind extinct creatures may be a novelty, but evolution works the way it does for a reason. Clearly intelligence is a much better survival tool than a tigers big muscles.

TangoFoxtrot
03-25-2012, 07:11
No one loves animals and natural resoures more than I do. BUT! if a long time event happens and lets say my resources are running low, I'm kill'in and grill'in any edible animals I have too to feed my wife and I. That is just called survival not cruelty.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 10:46
The vast majority of the 310 million folks in the US live nowhere near where they could access wild game, do not have the ability to harvest it, and if they did they wouldn't know how to process it and preserve it. And if they made it that far, they'd probably die trying to store that much meat when Mr. Bear or Ms. Cougar came to claim her bit. I think your premise is far, far from realistic.

And, for the rest of us--larger game may still not be quite as useful as many would think. We still face the same issues---processing, preserving and storing. Small game are much easier to deal with on a daily basis.

When the rule of law collapses so do the so-called poaching laws. I have no problem breaking unjust laws that stand between my family eating. In fact, when I was a kid and we couldn't afford store-bought meat, that's exactly what my father did. No, not put his hand out to government. He put his hand to rifle and harvested what God gave us.

We'd be better off these days with the sheriff of Knottingham than the government we've got when it comes to game laws.