Got new grips for my 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got new grips for my 1911

Dalton Wayne
03-23-2012, 14:52
I know a lot of people don't like em but I do.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/DSCN0029.jpg

Rumbler_G20
03-23-2012, 14:58
Your pistol. It don't make a hill of beans what anyone else thinks of them.

But I would suggest taking a rubber mallet or rawhide hammer or something like that and knocking some of that grit off sometime in the not tooooo distant future. :rofl:

Dalton Wayne
03-23-2012, 15:00
Ya she needs a cleaning big time

Javelin
03-23-2012, 15:05
Interesting.

How do they feel?

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/customavatars/avatar2503_1.gif

dakrat
03-23-2012, 19:41
Interesting.

How do they feel?

just like a glock :rofl:

Keoking
03-23-2012, 19:45
I like. Why didn't you get the finger groove sleeve that goes under the grips, though?

I have one of these under some VZ Predator grips. Plenty of traction and finger grooves. Me like.

RoGrrr
03-23-2012, 19:59
Let's see.

Sometimes I carry a 1911, a Compact Officer in 45.
Sometimes I carry a 1911, full size service pistol in 45.
Sometimes I carry a 1911, Oops. It's an EMP in 9mm
Sometimes I carry a 1911, a Full size Rock Island in 9mm.

Notice the common thread - ALL 1911 !

You might carry a Compact Officer and that PF-9. While a good friend says that ANY gun will do if you will, let's say you practice with, and get used to carrying the KelTec. Then one day you happen to put the 1911 in your holster for some reason (your KT is broken). And let's say that you get into a situation where you have to pull your gun AND USE it !
You're used to carrying/shooting/practicing with the KT.
What you might not realize is that you have conditioned yourself to use the KT but now have the 1911 on which you are betting your life. It happens to HAVE A SAFETY ! while the KT DOES NOT. So you now have to "point in" on your thug target. He happens to have a gun pointed at you so you are now authorized TO SHOOT !
So you pull the trigger. And pull on it.
NOTHING HAPPENS !
Why not ?

You didn't react in time to TAKE THE SAFETY OFF ! Why ? You were conditioned to shoot the double action KT ! Or a Glock. Or LCP. Or.....

What's my point ?
You will react to what you trained to use. If you have a DA and something like a 1911, you WILL NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ! Invariably, you will do the WRONG THING.

And what if you train with both of them ? You will still do the wrong thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your choice of carry weapons but I'm glad I'm not depending on you to watch MY six.

No matter which gun I happen to have with me, it's always that same instinctive motion - Draw, Point in, Safety OFF, Press Trigger with no second thoughts.

Talk with some commercial pilots and ask them what they fly ? It's usually the same aircraft for their entire career. Then ask them why. If they have an emergency, they react WITHOUT THINKING ! They don't have to think about anything. They have done that same thing for so many years it is HABIT; it just happens and when you ask them what they were conscious of they will likely tell you that they didn't have to think about anything. It just happened as a well oiled machine would operate.

WHY ?

LIVES ARE AT STAKE !

dakrat
03-23-2012, 20:36
Let's see.

You might carry a Compact Officer and that PF-9. While a good friend says that ANY gun will do if you will, let's say you practice with, and get used to carrying the KelTec. Then one day you happen to put the 1911 in your holster for some reason (your KT is broken). And let's say that you get into a situation where you have to pull your gun AND USE it !
What you might not realize is that you have conditioned yourself to use the KT but now have the 1911 on which you are betting your life. It happens to HAVE A SAFETY ! while the KT DOES NOT. So you now have to "point in" on your thug target. He happens to have a gun pointed at you so you are now authorized TO SHOOT !
NOTHING HAPPENS !
Why not ?

You didn't react in time to TAKE THE SAFETY OFF ! Why ? You were conditioned to shoot the double action KT ! Or a Glock. Or LCP. Or.....

What's my point ?
You will react to what you trained to use. If you have a DA and something like a 1911, you WILL NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ! Invariably, you will do the WRONG THING.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your choice of carry weapons but I'm glad I'm not depending on you to watch MY six.

No matter which gun I happen to have with me, it's always that same instinctive motion - Draw, Point in, Safety OFF, Press Trigger with no second thoughts.

Talk with some commercial pilots and ask them what they fly ? It's usually the same aircraft for their entire career. Then ask them why. If they have an emergency, they react WITHOUT THINKING ! They don't have to think about anything. They have done that same thing for so many years it is HABIT; it just happens and when you ask them what they were conscious of they will likely tell you that they didn't have to think about anything. It just happened as a well oiled machine would operate.

WHY ?

LIVES ARE AT STAKE !

what are you talking about willis? we are talking about grips here

NeverMore1701
03-23-2012, 22:25
Let's see.

NOTHING HAPPENS !
Why not ?

What's my point ?

WHY ?

LIVES ARE AT STAKE !

What in god's holy name are you on about?

RoGrrr
03-26-2012, 16:04
Sorry, fellas. I have no idea how/why that long post got inserted here. I'm really scratching my head on it. I had intended it for another thread where one of the shooters was talking about his several different carry guns. And it DID get posted in that thread but how it got here is beyond me.

I wouldn't have intentionally posted it in this thread. Sorry.

clancy
03-26-2012, 16:43
Sorry, fellas. I have no idea how/why that long post got inserted here. I'm really scratching my head on it. I had intended it for another thread where one of the shooters was talking about his several different carry guns. And it DID get posted in that thread but how it got here is beyond me.

I wouldn't have intentionally posted it in this thread. Sorry.

Well, you did make some very good points.

Just sayin'.

Dalton Wayne
03-26-2012, 17:46
I like. Why didn't you get the finger groove sleeve that goes under the grips, though?

I have one of these under some VZ Predator grips. Plenty of traction and finger grooves. Me like.

Where do you get them I'm interested

Dalton Wayne
03-26-2012, 18:42
there she's cleaned and oiled
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/DSCN0032.jpg

bac1023
03-26-2012, 20:10
Looks better after being cleaned

Congrats on the new grips. :cool:

Dalton Wayne
03-26-2012, 20:25
I don't clean it but once every couple of months because I have a very hard time getting it back together

Nickotym
03-27-2012, 09:30
I don't clean it but once every couple of months because I have a very hard time getting it back together
Do you have full length guide rod or something? :)
If you clean it more often you will remember how to put it back together. Honestly, I think the 1911 is the easiest gun I have dealt with for field stripping and reassembling. None of the pins can be put in the wrong place as they are all different sizes. It is like putting a 40-some piece puzzle together.

GOOFA
03-27-2012, 11:38
I know a lot of people don't like em but I do.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/DSCN0029.jpg

My sympathy.:rofl:

teflondog
03-27-2012, 16:54
I had those grips too. I found that the rubber is softer and grippier than Hogue grips. I eventually switched them out because the rubber would often catch on my shirt when carrying iwb.

TN.Frank
03-27-2012, 17:17
I like everything about em' but the finger grooves. I've rarely found a set of finger grooves that fit my hand well. Don't hate me for saying this but if you could take a razor blade and carefully cut the finger groove part off I think they'd look awesome. JMHO, YMMV. :cool:

Keoking
03-27-2012, 17:23

Google "1911 finger groove grip insert" and you will find them. They add a little thickness. With my stock grip screws, 1 would not get any bite but 3 would. Bought some new ones and that worked.