.45 for carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 for carry

cdjf
03-23-2012, 15:22
mas, could you make some recommendations for the better full size .45's to carry.

thanks
justin

Mas Ayoob
03-23-2012, 15:26
Steel or polymer? Double action, or single?

best,
Mas

cdjf
03-23-2012, 16:06
preferably steel, mostly wanting to get away from 1911. was thinking about the p220 sao or just the standard version.

Mas Ayoob
03-23-2012, 18:05
The P220 is a fine .45 in either format, my personal favorite in the SIG line actually.

If you go with the SAO, you'll find your manual of arms with the 1911 will work. (If you're trying to "get away from the 1911," I'm going on the assumption you're already familiar with the 1911). The one thing to watch for is that if you've accustomed yourself to riding the thumb safety on a 1911, the more rearward placement of the slide stop lever on the SIG may cause you to override it, resulting in a failure of the slide to lock back when the gun runs empty.

If you go with the conventional TDA (double action first shot), the P220 in that format generally runs very smooth for that critical first shot. If you get it with the DAK trigger system, it will be smoother and lighter for the first shot, and the same for subsequent shots as opposed to the short, easy single action trigger of the SAO or the TDA. However, you can't get the manual safety on any P220 but the SAO.

I'd feel well armed with any of them, and it sounds as if you're on a comfortable track for yourself.

best,
Mas

cdjf
03-23-2012, 18:12
thanks mas. one more quick question i haven't seen mentioned, what do you think of the h&k usp 45. not important but when doing some research on this website i hadn't seen anything mentions.

Thanks again.