New Kahr CW45 for $329 BUY? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr CW45 for $329 BUY?

hsprincipal
03-23-2012, 16:46
Sportsmans Warehouse is selling Kahr CW series in 9mm, .40 and .45 this weekend for $329. This seems like a great buy. Are they quality or not? Think about picking one up in .45 ACP.

Kalmah
03-23-2012, 16:51
I love my CW45, and that price is considerably cheaper than what I paid for it about 18 months ago.

I certainly don't need another one, but for that price I'm almost tempted to buy another one anyway.

hsprincipal
03-23-2012, 18:05
One concern I have is that the slide rides on the polymer frame in the front and not on steel rails. Do you find there is a lot of wear on the frame?

Metal Angel
03-23-2012, 18:10
There are metal rails down lower. It looks like it rides on the polymer, but it doesn't. The rails are kinda down in the dust cover.

Edit:
Oh crap I think I lied! I thought they were metal but I guess they are not, sorry for the misinformation.

Curse the Internet and its enabling people to spread falsehoods.

hsprincipal
03-23-2012, 18:13
Thanks that makes me more comfortable about buying this firearm.

Metal Angel
03-23-2012, 18:26
I go back and forth on kahrs. Sometimes they feel stiff and awkward, but the trigger is pretty nice (smooth if nothing else) and no other gun manufacturer uses material more efficiently. It's crazy to me that the p/cw series are smaller than a walther pps.

Bruce M
03-23-2012, 19:35
Sounds like an excellent price to me.

Kalmah
03-23-2012, 23:24
One concern I have is that the slide rides on the polymer frame in the front and not on steel rails. Do you find there is a lot of wear on the frame?
I have a PM9 that's older and has a much higher round count than my CW45, and it's not showing any signs of wear. So I don't expect any problems with my CW45 either.

Javelin
03-23-2012, 23:46
Good price.

You just got to ask yourself if it is something you want....

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/customavatars/avatar2503_1.gif

Tiro Fijo
03-24-2012, 00:33
The Moonies must be strapped for cash. :whistling:

:rofl:

hsprincipal
03-24-2012, 06:46
Good price.

You just got to ask yourself if it is something you want....

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/customavatars/avatar2503_1.gif

Want yes. Need no. I guess I'm just curious more than anything, to see how this brand performs.

OldSchool64
03-24-2012, 06:55
Great price for a good gun, I'd be willing to bet they sell out. As for me, want - yes, need - no, I won't be buying.

FLglockdude
03-24-2012, 07:55
That is a great price on a great gun. I have a CM9 that shoots great for being such small pistol. I would jump on it for that price, they make great CCW guns.

Bald Baron
03-24-2012, 08:58
My CW9 and CW45 each have about 400 rounds through them. They are accurate, fun to shoot and I have had not one hiccup out of them. There are metal rails imbedded in the dust cover. That's a great price.:wavey:

CBennett
03-24-2012, 09:20
Wow I love my Ruger SR9c but IF they had had the CW .45 at that price id own that now instead of the Ruger...thats a great price! If id not just spent $310 on a new watch Id have tried to talk the wife into it :) .

ithaca_deerslayer
03-24-2012, 13:43
There are metal rails down lower. It looks like it rides on the polymer, but it doesn't. The rails are kinda down in the dust cover.

Edit:
Oh crap I think I lied! I thought they were metal but I guess they are not, sorry for the misinformation.

Curse the Internet and its enabling people to spread falsehoods.

Huh?

The rails are indeed metal.

Metal Angel
03-24-2012, 17:03
Huh?

Ok good. I don't own one but I have fondled them several million times at gunshops and have shot my brother's p380 quite a bit. I could have sworn the rails were metal, but then I looked it up to be sure and found a lot of people saying they were plastic and pictures that appeared to confirm that.

whoflungdo
03-24-2012, 17:09
Love my CW9 I got last year around Christmas. I would def buy a CW45 at that price...

HKLovingIT
03-24-2012, 19:29
Yeah I would buy one at that price. Nice little .45 for peanuts at that price.

hsprincipal
03-24-2012, 20:30
I did buy the CW 45 and two spare 7 round mags w/extension. I called ahead and they had one CW9 and one CW45 they were kind enough to put the CW45 on hold for me as I live two hours from Lexington. They sold the 9 while I was filling out my paperwork. Looks to be good quality for $329. Think this will be a great addition.

SonnyCrockett
03-24-2012, 20:34
Huh?

nope.......I like my CW9 but the rails are Plastic,I have never seen a gun with plastic rails in my life..I can shoot it fine but metal rails would have been an improvement as the slide DEFIANTLY moves around too much for my taste ..but for CCW and up close and personal its reliable

glock2740
03-24-2012, 20:45
Great price. Try it out. If you don't like it, you can probably get your money back selling it.

hsprincipal
03-24-2012, 20:57
Great price. Try it out. If you don't like it, you can probably get your money back selling it.

That's what I figure too. Oh btw the guy told me they had 35 CWs in three calibers and sold all of them in less than 24 hours.

HKLovingIT
03-24-2012, 21:00
I did buy the CW 45 and two spare 7 round mags w/extension. I called ahead and they had one CW9 and one CW45 they were kind enough to put the CW45 on hold for me as I live two hours from Lexington. They sold the 9 while I was filling out my paperwork. Looks to be good quality for $329. Think this will be a great addition.

Excellent. Be sure and post up some pics and range report after you've had it out. :wavey:

HKLovingIT
03-24-2012, 21:09
nope.......I like my CW9 but the rails are Plastic,I have never seen a gun with plastic rails in my life..I can shoot it fine but metal rails would have been an improvement as the slide DEFIANTLY moves around too much for my taste ..but for CCW and up close and personal its reliable

Not on the PM9 I have here. :dunno:

The front rails on the Kahr pistols are located under the barrel in the dustcover and are steel. The polymer "rails" in the more conventional location, where the front rails would normally be, are not structural. They are there to help you line up the slide during reassembly. The rear rails are a metal insert that is molded into the grip during manufacturing.

jeepmann11
03-24-2012, 21:53
Bought my cw45 at Buds for $322 a few months back, I only shot about 100 rounds through it so far but it functions fine so far. I really like it and think a cw9 is in my future . My only problem is the magazines are expensive and it only came with one.

dakrat
03-24-2012, 22:01
Kahr's marketing strategy is working I see. they fooled you with the price of a pistol with one magazine.

glock20fanboy
03-24-2012, 22:08
I have one and it is sweeeet. The trigger is just like butter. I bought a rear sight laser for it. It is a great package.

And I will confirm, the front rails are steel, they are in the dust cover. The bottom front of the slide around the recoil spring has a groove on either side, that's what rides on the front rails.

And as for Kahr scamming people, um, you know there's only one mag to start with. Sig has just now started to include two mags again. They only included one for about a year and a half.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-24-2012, 22:09

Look farther foward and down, and you will see the metal rails :)

mj9mm
03-24-2012, 22:15
i have both the cm 9 and the cw 45, the cm 9 for some reason is finished better, less machining marks, more shine to the steel. both operate very well, smooth and reliable. but i am having a hard time warming up to the 45, i really like the little 9 and i appreciate the fact that they handle like twins. the cw45 carries well iwb, much better than the glock 30 i had before, but i am torn and miss the g30. iam contemplating trading the cw for a g36. also, your price is 100 cheaper than i paid in Wisconsin, bummer:embarassed:. i have to say, the kahr is a very efficiently designed gun. and yes, there are metal rails.

mingaa
03-24-2012, 22:32
My CW9 has been my EDC for two+ years. Smooth trigger, 3.5" barrel, IWB easy carry. The price is good-no reason IMHO not to pick one up in 45 and break it in.

hsprincipal
03-25-2012, 06:50
Bought my cw45 at Buds for $322 a few months back, I only shot about 100 rounds through it so far but it functions fine so far. I really like it and think a cw9 is in my future . My only problem is the magazines are expensive and it only came with one.

I tried Buds first, but the were asking $361 for the CW45.

jeepmann11
03-25-2012, 09:54
I bought mine from the LEO section of Buds they still have them for $322 just about two weeks ago.

Jack Black
03-25-2012, 10:48

You need to take a closer look at your CW9.

carbuncle
03-25-2012, 10:52
The Moonies must be strapped for cash. :whistling:

:rofl:

Funny thing is, that's about exactly what I thought, too!

:wavey:

hsprincipal
03-25-2012, 14:52
OK 50 rounds down the pipe today of my new Kahr CW45. My first impressions.

Sights: Post and dot were easy to acquire and spot on.
Trigger: seemed to be very good. Nice smooth trigger. Although it does have to fully reset. I found myself thinking I had a misfire 3 times only to realize I did not let the trigger fully reset.
Grip: Stippling is very aggressive on the front and backstrap. I will probably look for a Hogue sleeve or some other type of rubber to wrap the grip. I was able to get three fingers on the grip and I like that very much.
Recoil: was as I predicted very manageable and quite nice to shoot. Follow up shots were quick and accurate for me.
Build Quality: While this is not a Glock or M&P or PPQ, I did find that the quality for such an inexpensive handgun quite nice. Everything is stainless steel and it cleaned up like a dream.

Overall first impressions: The gun went bang every time. Ejection was strong and all but two were out and away. The other two went straight over my head. For $329 I am quite happy and this would be a very good purchase for anyone who wants to get into handguns on the affordable side and still get a very nicely built handgun.

While this won't replace my Glock 27 as my EDC I do think it is a nice addition to the collection.

carbuncle
03-25-2012, 22:04
Congrats on a great deal, have fun with it!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk