How are the roads in your area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How are the roads in your area?

AimZeroed
03-24-2012, 04:10
Well I learned a lesson last week. I went on a trip from the gulf coast to central Texas. I found the highways and interstates in great to decent shape but the local roads I found horrible. I hadn't been by my grandmothers former house since 95' when she passed away and I was shocked by the roads in front of it. The asphalt hadn't been touched since then and the road was being replaced with large shale infill for the pot holes and even 6-8ft sections that went all the across the road. (And this is in a town of 8,000, my grandmothers former house is in a small subdivision of about 40 houses developed in the 70's, not a rural road.) I also found the county roads in ill repair since I had last seen them. This means no effective bug out without a 4x4 if SHTF takes a few years of downward trending to develop. How are the roads in your area and is the economy this bad in rural areas by in large that the counties and states have no money for at least a low level of maintenance? If so we are in worse shape than I thought.

Breadman03
03-24-2012, 05:40
I know most of my local police department have been doing lots of layoffs. How's that for an indicator?

The roads are generally in okay shape, but there is an intersection between an interstate and local highway that has been undergoing constant repair since about 7 years ago.

quake
03-24-2012, 07:55
How are the roads in your area?

Most are paved nowadays. Not real keen on that, actually; better roads mean more people coming around.

BORNGEARHEAD
03-24-2012, 12:54
We have LOTS of potholes and the railroad crossings are nasty.

lawman800
03-24-2012, 22:40
Roads in LA are terrible, the freeways are okay, but my suburb is pretty good. Good thing I have a big truck with semi capable tires to handle the potholes and such.

TangoFoxtrot
03-25-2012, 06:50
I know most of my local police department have been doing lots of layoffs. How's that for an indicator?

The roads are generally in okay shape, but there is an intersection between an interstate and local highway that has been undergoing constant repair since about 7 years ago.

WOW! I guess you never drove in W-B on Coal Street "the road to no where project". I know someone who lives there that has had two blowouts one caused by a pothole the other by a broken curb stone. I seen better roads in Baghdad. :whistling: As far as the police, the city only have 6 cops on a shift now. What do the other 194 cops in the department do?

RED64CJ5
03-25-2012, 13:50
Coming from a county with 10,000 miles of "red iron ore" surface, I will tell you that there is great disparity between "city" and "country" when it comes to road conditions. Frankly, I like the dirt / iron ore any day... Keeps the city people at bay. I happen to live on a state highway, so it is well maintained, but am fortunately to have MANY alternative routes that the average Joe would avoid.

bdcochran
03-25-2012, 18:27
To add to the LA roads story.

There have been no repaving of city roads for over 30 years. Putting down new slurry is not the same as repaving.

After the earthquake, the City did not start to repair the destroyed sewer system for years and until the federal government provided funds.

The mayor promised to plant one million trees and fix 50,000 potholes a year.:rofl:

The City has closed many unpaved alleyways and put up very strong, tall steel gates.

I took pictures of potholes near the home. It took the City streets people one full year to fix the first hole and two full years to deal with the second hole (just poured in pavement). I have offered to go with containers to wherever the city keeps its asphalt and pick up a load for my neighborhood.:upeyes:

Bravo 1
03-25-2012, 18:33
Coming from a county with 10,000 miles of "red iron ore" surface, I will tell you that there is great disparity between "city" and "country" when it comes to road conditions. Frankly, I like the dirt / iron ore any day... Keeps the city people at bay. I happen to live on a state highway, so it is well maintained, but am fortunately to have MANY alternative routes that the average Joe would avoid.

And,,,,should that day come,,,they produce a rather nice "tattle tail" when vehicles travel down them.

Nice advance warning

pugman
03-27-2012, 13:15
Wisconsin has two seasons: winter and construction. Even rubber covered steel blades are murder on streets

City streets in my AO are generally good...but its a small town.

Milwaukee, Wausheka, Jefferson county roads for the most part are in pretty good shape...but we pay for it dearly in property taxes.

Naelbis
03-27-2012, 22:36
We have a mix of paved roads and gravel in my area. All of the roads a beat to heck and crumbling from the massive amounts of traffic the oil boom has generated. Heck even the main highways have 6+ inch deep ruts in them from thousands of overwieght trucks going over it every day. Because of how our state tax structure works our county, cities and townships don't have the money to repair the roads and have to depend on the state for handouts, which can be difficult to secure despite the massive amount of revenue we are generating for the State.

kirgi08
03-28-2012, 04:15
This is one of the main things folk need ta know........ Run the roads work out all alternates AND practice them.We can go from home ta the BOL without touching 5mi of asphalt.Run them by car/MCycle/bike and on foot.What's your work worth,you and yours lives.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
03-28-2012, 04:47
Are you kidding me where I live the potholes are so big, that if I were in a firefight I could jump in one like a foxhole.

Dexters
03-28-2012, 05:54
Ga - smooth as silk - except for parts of Atl.

jtull7
03-28-2012, 11:51
66% of all roads in Santa Fe County are dirt. We like it that way. "Bad roads make good neighbors"

sr975j
03-28-2012, 23:23
roads around me suck. lots of pot holes, gravel all over the roads where the city decided filling pot holes with gravel was a good idea, and generally crappy roads. there are some roads that i wont drive down around my house because they are so rough.

Sam

kirgi08
03-29-2012, 00:05
Folks,the thing is ta make your own roads/sts.Develop multiple egress routes,whether paved or not.We have 8 different ways ta go,either by foot/bike/car.'08.