Appendix Carry - questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Appendix Carry - questions

HKLovingIT
03-24-2012, 19:43
So,

I took my Comp-TAC Infidel and a cheapo Stow-N-Go and tried them AIWB at the house with a G19. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was much easier to conceal. I think for me, with my G26 or P2000sk it would be just fine. For my body the G19 was too long (or the holster rode too low) to sit comfortably. The leather holster was definitely more comfortable.

I felt access was very fast and to bring up the GT cliche, with just a regular heavy duty black T-shirt (not skin tight) it was totally hidden when standing and walking around. Had to be mindful not to get the shirt stuck between grip and body when bending, sitting, etc.

Seems you might be better able to defend from a grab and if you fell on you back, front or side, it would be easier to get at than if carried at 4:00 or so. Also was easier to access sitting. I even did the bathroom test. :whistling::rofl: It was no problem.

Questions:

In your opinion, what are the practical pros and cons of AIWB, aside from comfort issues and that you might shoot an important part off?:wow::tongueout:

Is there any type of firearm or action that you would or would not consider for AIWB?

Those who AIWB, what are you doing and what have you learned?

If you used to carry appendix, but quit, why?

Thanks,

HK

rvrctyrngr
03-24-2012, 21:29
I carry AIWB quite often. For me it's comfortable, access is quick, and I don't have to worry about bumping stuff or getting my OWB holster snagged on anything.

I've used the Galco Scout (before they switched to a stupid J-clip), the Don Hume H715, and the Alessi Talon for my G23s and other pistols of similar or smaller size (max 4.25" barrel). Now I use a custom Kydex rig made by a friend that is similar, but superior to the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock.

Just a method that has worked well for me over the years.

hallnh727
03-25-2012, 06:26
This link has a lot of good info on AIWB
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-(Appendix-Carry)

Sharkey
03-25-2012, 09:33
So,

Questions:

In your opinion, what are the practical pros and cons of AIWB, aside from comfort issues and that you might shoot an important part off?:wow::tongueout:

Is there any type of firearm or action that you would or would not consider for AIWB?

Thanks,

HK

The main reason I carry AIWB is because any position other than that for IWB is uncomfortable for me. I find that appendix carry makes it where I can just wear the same size jeans as well and still be comfortable.

I think the pros are the gun is up front which to me helps in the draw and gun grab prevention which is kind of a non issue since it should be concealed anyway.

I don't carry SA's simply because I don't currently have any. I have done so in the past and have no issue with shooting my "tool" off. For the most part, the gun doesn't go bang if you don't pull the trigger. :supergrin:

If I don't AIWB, my other carry mode is strong side using a paddle hoster. The FIST ultra thin kydex makes a great holster for appendix carry IMHO. High Noon leather holster is another holster I use quite frequently.

robhic
03-25-2012, 11:14
I am disabled and always seated. I also wear mostly elastic waistband pants and shorts for ease of getting dressed / undressed. I had a "Smart Carry" because I thought not using a belt most times, it would be good because the SC has its own elastic belt. The pistol being pointed at my "junk" DID have a sort of unsettling effect on me. But I persevered.... :whistling:

After reading a bit and getting a few recommendations for a Remora holster, I got one and 1) it doesn't point in "that direction":supergrin: and 2) it is amazingly secure using the elastic waistbands and drawstring.

I wear it about 2:30 / 3:00 canted forward so ND will go back and shoot the floor and not my -- well, you know....

The Remora is quick to stick IWB when needed, holds well, is pretty comfortable AND I can move it around if needed. Plus it is a lot easier on my mind to have it pointed back and not "down there"....

I've also started getting partly elastic waistband (I call them my "fat man" pants :supergrin:) pants w/ beltloops so I'll be even MORE secure.

The Retired Sarge
03-25-2012, 16:19
I just switched from standard IWB carry to AIWB carry and like it a lot for all the good reasons mentioned. Plus I feel it gives me good and easy access to the pistol when seated in a vehicle. I do prefer to AIWB carry a hammer fired pistol in DA/SA as opposed to striker fired and currently carry a HK P2000. Switched over from the Comp-tac Infidel to their Two O'clock holster. Bill

SCmasterblaster
03-25-2012, 18:37
I carry AOWB daily here in VT. My G17 is a real comforting thing to have, and it is loaded with +p+ 115gr JHPs. I should wear hearing protection.

2afreedom
03-26-2012, 17:28
I have appendix carried a G27 for years on and off. IMO, appendix carry hides the weapon better than IWB at 3 o'clock.

6StringGeek
03-26-2012, 17:44
I carry my 642 AIWB. Very comfortable. No cons for me. If you were forced down on your stomach I guess it could get sketchy...but that can be said for any carry position. Not worried about shooting myself down there...my wife keeps those in her purse anyway ;)

Glockworks
03-26-2012, 17:58
So,

I took my Comp-TAC Infidel and a cheapo Stow-N-Go and tried them AIWB at the house with a G19. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was much easier to conceal. I think for me, with my G26 or P2000sk it would be just fine. For my body the G19 was too long (or the holster rode too low) to sit comfortably. The leather holster was definitely more comfortable.

I felt access was very fast and to bring up the GT cliche, with just a regular heavy duty black T-shirt (not skin tight) it was totally hidden when standing and walking around. Had to be mindful not to get the shirt stuck between grip and body when bending, sitting, etc.

Seems you might be better able to defend from a grab and if you fell on you back, front or side, it would be easier to get at than if carried at 4:00 or so. Also was easier to access sitting. I even did the bathroom test. :whistling::rofl: It was no problem.

Questions:

Thanks,

HK
I always carry AIWB, my Glock 26 and 19s. I've found that the best and easiest to carry this way though is a revolver, I have a S&W 65 3" and a GP100 4" and they conceal very well with this method too. I actually think they conceal better than the G26, though with less overall bullets to utilize.

Lynch_6913
03-26-2012, 19:21

HKLovingIT
03-26-2012, 19:56
I personally enjoy carrying an old time single action revolver apex. And real men carry hammer down on a live round. :couch:

If you're extra macho you do it hammer back, no holster. :rofl: Though that could turn you from a Senor to a Senorita real quick.

G19aps
03-26-2012, 20:12
How the heck do you guys sit down with a 4" revolver in appendix carry?

BLACKWOLF45
03-27-2012, 07:38
so,

i took my comp-tac infidel and a cheapo stow-n-go and tried them aiwb at the house with a g19. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was much easier to conceal. I think for me, with my g26 or p2000sk it would be just fine. For my body the g19 was too long (or the holster rode too low) to sit comfortably. The leather holster was definitely more comfortable.

I felt access was very fast and to bring up the gt cliche, with just a regular heavy duty black t-shirt (not skin tight) it was totally hidden when standing and walking around. Had to be mindful not to get the shirt stuck between grip and body when bending, sitting, etc.

questions:

in your opinion, what are the practical pros and cons of aiwb, aside from comfort issues and that you might shoot an important part off?:wow::tongueout:

Is there any type of firearm or action that you would or would not consider for aiwb?

Those who aiwb, what are you doing and what have you learned?

Thanks,

hk
well, ive been carrying a comp-tac minatar straight drop iwb appendix for several years, as well as a kramer iwb straight drop holster , appendix..im carrying a glock 20, 10mm, with an arredondo mag extention, and a 6in barell.no problems ever..absolutely the fastest way to get your piece into action..

BLACKWOLF45
03-27-2012, 07:44
i always carry aiwb, my glock 26 and 19s. I've found that the best and easiest to carry this way though is a revolver, i have a s&w 65 3" and a gp100 4" and they conceal very well with this method too. I actually think they conceal better than the g26, though with less overall bullets to utilize.
also, as for blowing off an important part of your body, or putting a round through your leg, desemating your femoral artery..glocks just dont go bang by themselves.you would need to pull the trigger in order for that to happen. If this is a concern, there are several safeties out there to put your mind at ease, ranging from trigger blocks, to manual safeties, like the 1911 pistol. I installed on three of my carry guns, this feature..tested, and retested..never a problem.its all in your head.hope this helped you out.

FreadomLover55
04-02-2012, 21:49
also, as for blowing off an important part of your body, or putting a round through your leg, desemating your femoral artery..glocks just dont go bang by themselves.you would need to pull the trigger in order for that to happen. If this is a concern, there are several safeties out there to put your mind at ease, ranging from trigger blocks, to manual safeties, like the 1911 pistol. I installed on three of my carry guns, this feature..tested, and retested..never a problem.its all in your head.hope this helped you out.

blackwolf your such a theif. nobody is gonna use you or be affilliated with you cause your a bad deal.
http://youtu.be/n7GErnEUM1w

JD_19x9
05-10-2012, 18:31
Recently I've been carrying AIWB with my Kahr CW9 inside of a DeSantis Sof-Tuk holster. Seems to be comfortable and definitely conceals better.

I ordered a High Noon Public Secret holster for my G26, which I plan on carrying AIWB.

For me, I print really bad using a IWB or OWB strong side holster, unless I have a jacket on. With the AIWB I can wear my belt loose and it doesn't print at all.

I've noticed that I'm restricted to a 6-7" slide. Any longer and it is not comfortable for me. I can't carry my G19 AIWB or at least I haven't found a good holster to do it yet...

valian
05-11-2012, 10:37
I use a Fist clip on holster and carry an FNP-9, a P95, G19, CW9 and a few others from time to time.
The only time that seems dangerous to me is if holstering the Glock or CW9. As always re-holstering should be done slowly and carefully, especially in AIWB. Generally i put the gun and holster on together and do not put the gun in the holster much when it is already on my person..

CA Escapee
05-11-2012, 11:36
How the heck do you guys sit down with a 4" revolver in appendix carry?

A small package has its advantages. :whistling:

Bill

MLittle
05-11-2012, 11:37
I've been carrying my Sig P220 Carry/Glock30sf now for over 2 years aiwb. I use exclusively the Dale Fricke Archangel kydex holster. Some posters wonder how I can carry a pistol with a 4 inch barrel comfortably this way. The design of the holster holds the firearm above the belt line in such a way as to allow a full grip of the pistol. The lower portion of the holster fits neatly into the crease between my leg and my lower stomach area. Very comfortable for me, but I will say it does take getting used to. Another advantage to carrying aiwb is that you can reach your firearm with either hand. That's really can't be said for carrying behind your hip. If you have the right build, the pistol hides very effectively.

RYT 2BER
05-11-2012, 20:29
I give you guys a lot of credit I can't carry aiwb to save my life ....I'm all about 4pm