First experience w/ LE while carrying in NC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First experience w/ LE while carrying in NC

arrtvandelay
03-24-2012, 20:49
So the wife and I decided to get some ice cream tonight. I was wearing shorts that were not conducive to iwb carry, so I handed my wife my CM9 (we both have NC CCWs), and we were on our way.

As we were on waiting to turn onto a left on a rd about a mile away from home, we were slammed into by a car that ran a red light. Luckily, we're only sore.

So, many, many cops show up. I know that if encountered by LE in NC, you must divulge you're carrying. So first chance I get I pull a Sheriff to the side and let him know that my wife and I both have our CCW permits and there's a gun in her purse.

He just chuckles and says, "As long as she doesn't pull it out and start blasting, we're good."

Sucky experience with the car accident, but good to know this particular Union Co. Sheriff was cool with civilian CCW...

collim1
03-24-2012, 20:56
Thats the way I handle it, and IMO is the norm not the exception.

A bunch of folks in carry issues will disagree, but in general LE encounters with legal CCW is not a big deal.

HKLovingIT
03-24-2012, 21:37
So the wife and I decided to get some ice cream tonight. I was wearing shorts that were not conducive to iwb carry, so I handed my wife my CM9 (we both have NC CCWs), and we were on our way.

As we were on waiting to turn onto a left on a rd about a mile away from home, we were slammed into by a car that ran a red light. Luckily, we're only sore.

So, many, many cops show up. I know that if encountered by LE in NC, you must divulge you're carrying. So first chance I get I pull a Sheriff to the side and let him know that my wife and I both have our CCW permits and there's a gun in her purse.

He just chuckles and says, "As long as she doesn't pull it out and start blasting, we're good."

Sucky experience with the car accident, but good to know this particular Union Co. Sheriff was cool with civilian CCW...

Were the officers wearing their hats? If not, the entire interaction should be called into question. :rofl: Glad you and the wife are okay.

LApm9
03-25-2012, 12:22

This kind of thing makes for a big helping of goodwill in the community.

NC Bullseye
03-25-2012, 12:26
You'll find that 9 out of 10 encounters with NC LEOs will be at least this good. Kudos for keeping your bearings and hope the soreness goes away in a hurry.

Aeroscoper
03-25-2012, 15:54
So the only negative I've encountered were police unclear of the laws concerning ccw, that said the end result for both times it's come up were warnings for the traffic infractions, so thumbs up from me.

Gallium
03-25-2012, 18:34

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

A bunch of folks in carry issues will disagree, but in general LE encounters with legal CCW is not a big deal.

As with most things in life, the sucky things often get the most attention. Every year, there are hundreds of CCW gun encounters (some involve lethal injuries, many do not) but which threads generate hundreds of responses and thousands of views?

:cool:

-G

automatic slim
03-25-2012, 19:35
So the only negative I've encountered were police unclear of the laws concerning ccw, that said the end result for both times it's come up were warnings for the traffic infractions, so thumbs up from me.

+1 on that. I had a VERY expired plate and the cop took it, but then said to follow her to safe place to park my truck, and told me to get a tow.
Really, she kinda put her job on the line I would think, but I sure did appreciate it.
Other parts of NC, I won't mention where, are a whole different story.....

jellis11
03-25-2012, 20:26
glad you had a good little cwp encounter and glad you and the wife are okay.

Serious question though... Did you get your ice cream?

rilkil23
03-25-2012, 20:51
Were you nervous? I often wonder how calm I will be when I have to interact with the police while carrying. I don't exactly look like Mr. Rogers and am often judged by new people who say I have an evil look. When they get to know me they always joke about being apprehensive to speak to me. Being ugly isn't easy but there are a lot of us doing it. I look like Charles Manson on crack according to my best buddy, he looks like an albino monkey, quite the pair.

Sheepdog Scout
03-25-2012, 21:54

That is the most important part.:supergrin: As long as it's mint chocolate chip or cookies and cream.:eat:

OP, glad you weren't hurt.

arrtvandelay
03-26-2012, 17:18

i did, but it was before the accident, i believe it's still in one of the seats somewhere...something else for the ins co to clean out of the car...

did get one bite before getting smashed though...

arrtvandelay
03-26-2012, 17:22
Were you nervous? I often wonder how calm I will be when I have to interact with the police while carrying. I don't exactly look like Mr. Rogers and am often judged by new people who say I have an evil look. When they get to know me they always joke about being apprehensive to speak to me. Being ugly isn't easy but there are a lot of us doing it. I look like Charles Manson on crack according to my best buddy, he looks like an albino monkey, quite the pair.

nah, wasn't really nervous at all. my wife was quite shaken up, and she actually had the gun.

i decided it was in our best interest to let the police know b/c she was way to shaken up, and i just wanted it out the way. they took my license for reports so I wanted to be sure to let them know just in case they saw i was ccw holder from my license #.

i figure as long as i'm carrying legally, then i shouldn't be too nervous...

2afreedom
03-26-2012, 17:23
Imagine that...a little courtesy and common sense mean the police don't have a problem with you. Some of the people here could take lessons.

I'm glad you had a good experience.

Walk Soft
03-26-2012, 17:25
"They're more scared of you than you are of them."

rilkil23
03-26-2012, 17:39
Imagine that...a little courtesy and common sense mean the police don't have a problem with you. Some of the people here could take lessons.

I'm glad you had a good experience.

I don't see where anyone was opposed to being courteous or use common sense. What am I missing from your post?

packsaddle
03-26-2012, 17:52
it means you did good by not asking the deputy "am i being detained?".

rilkil23
03-26-2012, 17:59
it means you did good by not asking the deputy "am i being detained?".

Doesn't sound like a good beginning to a conversation with a LEO when a gun is involved.

boomhower
03-26-2012, 18:05
In general we love CCW holders. Only thing I chastise for is it seems 9/10 they aren't carrying. We have a couple funny gotcha's in the law you have to be wary of but that's it.(like no carrying at movies or parades)

Walk Soft
03-26-2012, 18:59
Once when asked for license etc..,I informed the officer my gun was above my wallet.
He responded"You're not gonna shoot me are you?(with a smile).I replied"No,I just didn't want you to see it about the same time I'm reaching towards it.

Coincidentally,I got off with a warning.I was testing out a new HD clutch,aluminum flywheel in my Mustang.I was trying to see if it'd slip at all and apparently he'd been behind me for three stoplights.He knew who I was(from where I work) and thought I knew who he was and knew he was behind me and was doing it on purpose right in front of him.

garebel
03-26-2012, 21:09
Once when asked for license etc..,I informed the officer my gun was above my wallet.
He responded"You're not gonna shoot me are you?(with a smile).I replied"No,I just didn't want you to see it about the same time I'm reaching towards it.

Coincidentally,I got off with a warning.I was testing out a new HD clutch,aluminum flywheel in my Mustang.I was trying to see if it'd slip at all and apparently he'd been behind me for three stoplights.He knew who I was(from where I work) and thought I knew who he was and knew he was behind me and was doing it on purpose right in front of him.

And there's why you got the warning....
Just kidding, of course. My daughters name? Shelby :supergrin:

jpa
03-26-2012, 21:43
Pics of the wife or it didn't happen... ;)

Nyper
03-27-2012, 09:11
This may be wrong, but in my CCW class (in NC), we were told that we have to inform the office that we have a CCW permit, even if we aren't carrying at the time.

About two years ago I was pulled over for stopping on some train tracks (traffic was flowing.. then stopped.. I had no choice). I wasn't carrying, but handed the officer both my license and CCW permit. Officer says "do you have a gun?". I said "no sir". He says "then why did you hand me this permit?".

I said "I was under the impression I was required to inform you by law, regardless of whether I had a gun on me at the time. Is that not right?"

He didn't say anything, just kind of gave me a weird look. I don't think he knew either. :dunno:

He then proceeded to act like a jerk, giving me a lecture about how that can get me killed, etc etc... even though I clearly didn't do it on purpose. Talking down to me as if I were some 16 year old who just started driving. Then he gave me a ticket. :steamed:

Rather than bend over and pay it, I went to court on my assigned date. I explained to the assistant DA what happened. Her exact words were "Oh... that sounds silly. I'll dismiss this. Have a good day." :tongueout:

DScottHewitt
03-27-2012, 09:18

You did it wrong. You are supposed to walk up to LEOs on property where carry is illegal, while open carrying, then film it and put it on YouTube.

DScottHewitt
03-27-2012, 09:19

A lot of times the "big deal" happens because of the synergy of the officer and the carrier of the firearm. Both can sometimes build off each other to escalate the encounter to an area it doesn't really have to go to.

bruzer
03-27-2012, 09:54
Good to see a positive encounter and glad you are not seriously hurt.
Mike

talkglock
03-27-2012, 10:12
This may be wrong, but in my CCW class (in NC), we were told that we have to inform the office that we have a CCW permit, even if we aren't carrying at the time.

The law reads only when your are carrying concealed do you need to inform the officer. That said, my instructor also said the same thing......tell them up front that you have a permit and that you are or are not carrying.

Myself, I would tell them even if I did not have a weapon on me. Just makes life easier when they go and run your license and it comes back saying you have a CCW permit. That might make the LEO a little bit jumpy as to why you didn't tell them.

garebel
03-27-2012, 19:04

That has been my experience as well.
I have shown my permit twice (both times in a license checkpoint).
Each time, the officer (City of Atlanta PD) was extremely nice.
One officer actually commented, with a smile, "you need one around here" when I told him I did indeed have a gun in the vehicle.

larry_minn
03-27-2012, 21:34

All it takes is ONE encounter with a anti LEO... Funny thing is I was NOT carrying, had accepted the ticket, everything. Before he sent me back to my car he asked if I had "any questions"
I figure I am paying $$$ why not? So I started off with saying that I was NOT carrying, but I have a permit. So IF I WAS carrying when/how would he like me to inform him.
Got chewed on, lecturned... If the ticket was not already done I think he would have liked to find more.
So I no longer inform.

beatcop
03-28-2012, 05:04
I usually just say, "Don't touch it" if someone is carrying. Usually sounds funny, but when folks are under a bit of stress odd things happen.

Schrag4
03-28-2012, 15:45
So the wife and I decided to get some ice cream tonight. I was wearing shorts that were not conducive to iwb carry, so I handed my wife my CM9 (we both have NC CCWs), and we were on our way...

Am I the only one that immediately thought about the "hoe carry" thread?

:tongueout:

Glad you had a good experience!