S&P related apps? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&P related apps?

emt1581
03-24-2012, 21:42
I have yet to take the plunge with buying a smartphone but I'm curious if there are any S&P related apps out there?

Thanks

-Emt1581

mrmedina
03-24-2012, 23:47
android store,

u.s.army survival guide.............

expatman
03-25-2012, 05:35
Almost S&P related:
Surefire Shot Timmer

TangoFoxtrot
03-25-2012, 06:22
Yes, surviving New York City traffic.

racerford
03-25-2012, 08:12
Apple iOS:
WebMD
SAS Surviva lGuide
iTriage
Shelter View (Red Cross)
Disaster Radar
WikiHow: Howto and DIY Survival Kit
World Factbook (CIA)
iCHL
ELERTS
HazRef
Survival Guide (SusaSoftX)
Prep&Pantry
SpyGlass
Survival Feeds
Ohub Campfire (gets you to GlockTalk mobile)

Plus a PDF reader, Navigation Apps some specific to walking, many others that I have not tried. Some are crap, some not. I looked at the free ones first. There are some that cost money, that are worth it.

Something to consider. It is easy to get iTunes gift cards from others and raise no suspicion that you are doing anything for preps. If you told someone you would like the SAS Survival Guide they might raise an eyebrow. Ask for an iTunes card and it very normal. Whnen they ask what you got you can say music or some entertainment apps and they are satified with the answer.

quake
03-25-2012, 15:15
Basic gps & compass functions are good ones to get activated.

bdcochran
03-25-2012, 17:46
Good question EMT

cowboy1964
03-25-2012, 18:28
PDF documents are the most useful to me so far, beyond the built in apps of course like GPS. And they'll work even when the network is down. At worst you just have to find a way to keep the battery going.

emt1581
03-25-2012, 18:39
PDF documents are the most useful to me so far. And they'll work even when the network is down. At worst you just have to find a way to keep the battery going.

Speaking of the battery...off topic here but I think it'd be nice to have an Otter Box or some other cover with a solar panel build in with a small one or two inch plug that could go from the cover to the phone. Need a charge? Just flip it over and set it on a window ledge...

-Emt1581

FatBoy
03-25-2012, 19:21
Try here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/647874_Just_got_an_IPhone__Any_Apps_I_should_think_about_getting_.html

of here for PDFs http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/634466_SURVIVAL_PDFS_.html

Deputydave
03-26-2012, 06:12
An important note, you can of course download these PDF's to your computer for future reference. If you have an e-reader like a Nook or Kindle (or others) you can put them on there to take with you anywhere, including an emergency situation.

What I've done is download Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/)

You can use Calibre to find all sorts of e-books for free download. You can also place PDF's, like the above manuals, and convert them using Calibre to EPUB (or whatever your e-reader format is using)and then put them on your e-reader.

My Nook can last up to 3 months on a full charge. I've read for 5 or more hours per day for weeks before having to recharge so it is a good reference tool to have along for camping or for emergencies.

expatman
03-26-2012, 08:56
Speaking of the battery...off topic here but I think it'd be nice to have an Otter Box or some other cover with a solar panel build in with a small one or two inch plug that could go from the cover to the phone. Need a charge? Just flip it over and set it on a window ledge...

-Emt1581

Already done. I have one that my buddy gave me that his father got for free and did not want. I think it is made by Brunton/Bruton not sure of the spelling. It fits my iphone like an oversized battery. I can still read the face of the phone and just turn it over when not using it so the panel can soak up the sun.