First Aid: New Techniques and Standards [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Aid: New Techniques and Standards

ScottieG59
03-25-2012, 00:14
(Sorry if this is a double post. Lost connection sending)

Mas, when I was a soldier, it was a common task to train on performing first aid for gunshot injuries. It seems not to be covered much in the civilian literature.

I have not checked the current first aid training the military teaches and I was a bit surprised by the actions a soldier took when he was shot several times in a robbery. Supposedly, he was trained in this, and it involved his inserting his fingers in the bullet holes to help control the bleeding until EMTs arrived on the scene. Before I read the article, I knew nothing of this technique. I am still not quite sure about it.

Additionally, I have seen that civilians can purchase packs of a material that will quickly clot a bad wound. I have not seen field reports on this product.

I am sure there are many newer things I have not a clue about.

When I speak with civilians without military experience, it is clear that most are completely unaware of how to treat wounds one would see in combat. TV and movies rarely cover it, though I did see one show where someone properly applied a pressure dressing.

There was an event near my home where some training might have saved a shooting victim's life, or, at least given him a chance. It involved a single chest shot and there was an entry and exit wound. We were taught to seal the chest cavity to deal with sucking chest wounds.

I knew of another case where a man was in the emergency room and the staff did not think of even checking for an exit wound. The man had been shot while on a motorcycle and after applying a bandage to a hole, they went to working on his leg which was broken in the crash after being shot. Luckily, one of the technicians that came in had extensive experience as a combat medic and showed them the hole was a gunshot and there was also an exit hole.

Basically, there are many people training for one aspect of combat, but do not train on how to deal with the injuries one faces. For those of us with training, clearly, techniques, standards and materials have not remained static.

Is this not also part of how to survive an attack? What is your take on this?

Mas Ayoob
03-25-2012, 15:46
Thank you Scottie, both for your service and your reminder of an element of survival that too many people gloss over.

I think you're spot on with this. I recommend that folks go to Dr. Jim Williams' website, www.tacticalanatomy.com. We can all benefit from reading his excellent book "Tactical Anatomy," and from taking both of the courses he offers on the topic: both how to disable an opponent with gunfire, and HOW TO TREAT GUNSHOT WOUNDS IN THE FIELD, including self-treatment if alone. I strongly recommend his classes.

Folks can also Google Doc Gunn and John Hoelschen, who also have great courses in this area. Last year at Central Florida Tactical Conference (couldn't make this year's due to a scheduling conference, darn it) Dr. Barry Garcia did an awesome presentation on this topic. Paramedic Bob Smith at SAFE (Safety and Firearms Education) in Couer d'Alene, Idaho also does this very well. There are other qualified people teaching it around the country. The knowledge is out there, and very high priority.

Thanking you again for bringing up this important topic, and hoping you re-post in Training and Tactics to bring it to a wider GT audience,
Mas