A Pre-Glock Hey ya'll! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A Pre-Glock Hey ya'll!

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 03:56
Don't yet own a Glock but I know people who do. :) I'm a truck driver from western Oregon. I grew up shooting my granddad's old .22 single-shot bolt action and dad's bolt-action deer rifles as well as various friends' rifles and shotguns. I think the first handgun I ever fired was my cousin's .357 revolver. I remember the milk jug flyin' high. I don't remember ever handling or firing another handgun until I bought my first, an S&W 4506-1 semi-auto. I was inspired to buy that after spending the night outside the gates of a loading dock in Long Beach, Ca.. The gate guard thought I'd be safe there, but two blocks down another driver had been dragged from his tractor and executed. Next trip home I bought the S&W, keeping it in my tractor and probably violated a few laws (I don't recommend it but everyone has to make judgement calls) as well as company policy.

I've since quit the longhaul and run loosely in a six hundred mile radius from my home so the carry issues are different. I recently added a Kel-Tec PF9 for CCW and will eventually horse-trade the .45 for a Glock 19 and reduce my ammo needs by one caliber.

I'm also a quiet prepper, so I'm interested in those kinds of things. Really, for where I live, where I drive and the kind of work I do, prepping is simply the sane thing to do. My environment can kill me on any given day whether I'm driving to Seattle or up on Hwy 97 in the middle of the high desert in -15f weather. In fact, just the other day I spent nine hours hunkered down in a dead tractor in 20f weather. Thank God I'm a prepper! I had my 0f sleeping bag to keep me warm and if I had to I could have started a fire with what I carry. So, the prepper way of thinking has just been a long and natural outgrowth from upbringing, military background, work environment, and a growing self-education in history and politics.

Soooo. . ..hey ya'll from Oregon! :wavey:

bac1023
03-25-2012, 05:14
:welcome: to GT

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 05:19
:welcome: to GT

Thanks! Got an old Air Force buddy in Pa., what a beautiful state. Wouldn't mind living out yer way.

58duck
03-25-2012, 05:20
welcome, mule :wavey:

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 05:30
welcome, mule :wavey:

Heya, Duckie! :wavey:

Joshhtn
03-25-2012, 05:41
Welcome to GT!!! Enjoy your stay!!

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 05:44
Welcome to GT!!! Enjoy your stay!!

Oooh, Tennessee, most my kinfolk came through Tn back in the 1700's and on. I couldn't find any who didn't more or less come through that way. No NE folk at all.

We're probably related. ;)

mymini40
03-25-2012, 06:28
Welcome aboard Mule !!!

Keyhole
03-25-2012, 06:49
:welcome: aboard!

oily_oink
03-25-2012, 11:43
:welcome: From Michigan!

DaBurna
03-25-2012, 18:14