obama care up before supreme court! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : obama care up before supreme court!

ponders
03-25-2012, 09:05
i think it will be deemed unconstitutional., what do yall think??

Barcroft
03-25-2012, 09:15
I think it's "iffy".
One must remember that the SC is part of the federal monster, a party to the suit. I seriously doubt it's impartiality.
Given the fact that the SC had (has) original juristiction anyway, it all seems to be choreographed for us minions.

engineer151515
03-25-2012, 09:18
The SC likes to put things off.

My prediction is that they will not accept the argument until someone actually has to pay an Obama tax levy for not enrolling in a .govt approved healthcare plan.

ponders
03-25-2012, 09:20
monday is the first of 3 day argument for or against it,, we shall see what unfolds..:wow:

certifiedfunds
03-25-2012, 10:02
The SC likes to put things off.

My prediction is that they will not accept the argument until someone actually has to pay an Obama tax levy for not enrolling in a .govt approved healthcare plan.

I think they know how important it is that this be decided now.

You might be right. I hope not.

JBnTX
03-25-2012, 10:24
i think it will be deemed unconstitutional., what do yall think??

If it is ruled unconstitutional, it just may be the catalyst that
turns the tide of both public and political opinion against Obama.

I hope so!:banana:

Sporaticus
03-25-2012, 10:37
I don't think they will overturn the entire law. They are allowing Kagan to hear the case, and won't even consider arguments that she should recuse herself.

The justices are bureaucrats, and bureaucrats are very reluctant to reduce the power of any bureaucracy.

The liberals on the court have said they look at European rulings and policies to decide US cases. So they are definitely going to vote to uphold.

I don't know if I trust Kennedy with regard to restricting bureaucratic powers, and Roberts has been somewhat of a disappointment. There will probably be some kind of deal, and vague wording.

The Obama administration will ignore any ruling they don't agree with anyway.

The Machinist
03-25-2012, 10:58
I predict that they will find it constitutional, 5-4. After that, the federal government will have carte blanche to force Americans to do anything.

engineer151515
03-25-2012, 11:01
I don't think they will overturn the entire law. They are allowing Kagan to hear the case, and won't even consider arguments that she should recuse herself.

The ultimate "plant" and a choice example of the consequence of Presidential elections.

Ruble Noon
03-25-2012, 11:08
I predict that they will find it constitutional, 5-4. After that, the federal government will have carte blanche to force Americans to do anything.

Sadly, I have to agree.

Javelin
03-25-2012, 11:18

Strange how that happens..... And with Kegan on the bench we all know where she will stand on this issue.

How she is able to even give her opinion on ObamaCare is beyond me. Obama probably called her personally to make sure she is going to be in there voting.

:steamed:

Javelin
03-25-2012, 11:19
We need to repeal Government Health Care right now! :steamed:

The Machinist
03-25-2012, 11:37
How she is able to even give her opinion on ObamaCare is beyond me. Obama probably called her personally to make sure she is going to be in there voting.
This government is broken and damaged beyond all repair. What's really galling, is that the animals in DC are going to try and make sure as many people suffer under their tyranny and mismanagement as possible.

The really sad thing is watching the true believers vote for stooges like Romney or Santorum, as if it makes any difference, whatsoever.

Sporaticus
03-25-2012, 11:40
After that, the federal government will have carte blanche to force Americans to do anything.

Which has been the goal of all three branches of government, and both parties, for a long time.

An interesting aspect will be how it will effect the November elections and if the republicans will actually repeal it? If they do, which is unlikely, the SC will have ruled that congress can force the people to do anything it wants.

The long range effects of this ruling are a lot more serious than just obamacare.

engineer151515
03-25-2012, 12:12
If the opposing States simply say "no".
Are these the seeds of the next American Civil War?

The map - The 2015 war of Federal Aggression. (aka - the Second American Civil War)

Rebel States - in grey. Might disturb some ghosts when you Pennsylvania boys line up with the Virginia boys. Last time, you were looking across the field at each other at Gettysburg.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9803/obamacare.jpg

States suing over ObamaCare

Virginia
Florida
South Carolina
Nebraska
Texas
Utah
Louisiana
Alabama
Michigan
Colorado
Pennsylvania
Washington
Idaho
South Dakota
North Dakota
Arizona
Georgia
Alaska
Nevada
Indiana
Mississippi
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Wyoming
Ohio
Kansas
Maine

Javelin
03-25-2012, 12:24

The map - The 2015 war of Federal Aggression. (aka - the Second American Civil War)

Rebel States - in grey. Might disturb some ghosts when you Pennsylvania boys line up with the Virginia boys. Last time, you were looking across the field at each other at Gettysburg.

Virginia
Florida
South Carolina
Nebraska
Texas
Utah
Louisiana
Alabama
Michigan
Colorado
Pennsylvania
Washington
Idaho
South Dakota
North Dakota
Arizona
Georgia
Alaska
Nevada
Indiana
Mississippi
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Wyoming
Ohio
Kansas
Maine

Surprised Texas is not on there... Oh wait... that's right it's big business. And I am sure that many of these insurance companies that set up shop here in Texas due to lack of consumer protection laws are thinking they will make a buck off this program and have most probably been leveraging their pocket politicians.

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/customavatars/avatar2503_1.gif

engineer151515
03-25-2012, 12:26
I wanted the Federalie States in RED - denoting their political agenda.

engineer151515
03-25-2012, 12:32
Opening moves in the 2015 War of Federal Agression

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7117/waroffederalagressionop.jpg

The Federalies move to consolidate Virginia from North and South.

California uses her weight to crush Washington State and cut off Alaska while pushing East at least to the Grand Canyon.

The Southern Rebels and the Northern midland Rebels pinch Federalies Kentucky and Tennessee in order to isolate the Mississippi river valley from the Northeast. (Although this is G33 country, I suspect Rebels will be readily welcomed among the independently minded hill folk of TN).

Ruble Noon
03-25-2012, 13:10

Virginia
Florida
South Carolina
Nebraska
Texas
Utah
Louisiana
Alabama
Michigan
Colorado
Pennsylvania
Washington
Idaho
South Dakota
North Dakota
Arizona
Georgia
Alaska
Nevada
Indiana
Mississippi
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Wyoming
Ohio
Kansas
Maine

Cool. My state will be on the right side this time.

Bassman1985
03-25-2012, 13:43
Surprised Texas is not on there... Oh wait... that's right it's big business. And I am sure that many of these insurance companies that set up shop here in Texas due to lack of consumer protection laws are thinking they will make a buck off this program and have most probably been leveraging their pocket politicians.

#5 on the list, Javelin.

steveksux
03-25-2012, 13:58
Anyone got any links to the actual arguments being made in the case?

Randy

expatman
03-25-2012, 14:26

Check fire! Check fire!

Texas is grey on the map and #5 on the list.

sbhaven
03-25-2012, 14:26
Anyone got any links to the actual arguments being made in the case?

See the SCOTUS Blog's This week at the Court (http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/03/this-week-at-the-court-71/) for links to the court cases they will be hearing oral arguments on this week.

The audio recordings and transcripts of the oral arguments will be made available in the afternoon following the arguments.

To the OP's post. It should be a slam dunk 9-0 ruling against, striking the entire bill, but it won't. It will probably be 5-4 one way or the other. Some think the court will uphold it. What ever the court does it will provide more business for lawyers, which is what most of their rulings do.

Even Scalia? CNN Legal Analyst Toobin Says SCOTUS Might Uphold ObamaCare 8-1
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-hadro/2012/03/23/cnn-legal-analyst-says-scotus-might-uphold-obamacare-8-1

Sporaticus
03-25-2012, 14:46
I wanted the Federalie States in RED - denoting their political agenda.

Tennessee should be on the list, I don't know why they aren't. Unless it's because we had a democrat governor when it all started. That's changed now. TN is solidly in the hands of republicans, and democrats of 30+ years are retiring.

ancient_serpent
03-25-2012, 15:25
Plenty of us folks in TN that want nothing to do with Obama care. Id it were up to me and mine, we'd be suing, too.

cowboywannabe
03-25-2012, 15:40
for those of you whom pay for descent health care coverage, what will you loose when its free?

i know the .gubmint will have to raise taxes to pay for this, so i know if your health coverage stays the same, the costs will increase substantially.

engineer151515
03-25-2012, 15:45
Last of my thread drift (apologies to the OP)

After 2 years of the Second War of Federal Agression

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3430/year2j.jpg

Virginia has fallen to the Federalies as has half of Pennsylvania.
The Federalies make a pact with Canada for half the oil in North Dakota for assistance in taking Maine, the Dakotas and part of Alaska.
Mexico makes a separate pact with the California Federalies and make their move on southern Texas. Arizona and a large portion of Nevada fall to shear numbers and there is a movement among the California Federalies to separate from the Union altogether and become a separate country.

For the Rebels, they succeed in securing the Mississippi river valley and take part of South Carolina. There is a pocket of resistance remaining in the forests of Washington State but their influence is becoming depleted.

Hawaii declares independence.

What a mess.

cowboywannabe
03-25-2012, 15:58
The Empire will crush the rebel alliance. Emporer obama and Lord holder deem it so. (and the u.s. "supreme" court will follow suit, having been bought and paid for). the only difference is that chewey is married to the emporer and on their side now and ben kanobi reagan died before it started.:rofl:

states will get their marching orders and do as they are told.
remember, people have rights and governments have powers. and when push comes to shove, powers trump rights all the time

certifiedfunds
03-25-2012, 18:51
for those of you whom pay for descent health care coverage, what will you loose when its free?

i know the .gubmint will have to raise taxes to pay for this, so i know if your health coverage stays the same, the costs will increase substantially.

Decent healthcare is what we will lose.

Healthcare coverage will not stay the same.

Besides, I have GREAT healthcare coverage. I can get whatever I need whenever I need it. That will change.

certifiedfunds
03-25-2012, 18:55
Both sides of the aisle want the court to affirm it.

Progressives on the left want socialized medicine.

Progressives on the right don't want the fight to repeal and a SCOTUS affirmation will give them the cover they need.

juggy4711
03-25-2012, 20:08
Last of my thread drift (apologies to the OP)

After 2 years of the Second War of Federal Agression

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3430/year2j.jpg

Virginia has fallen to the Federalies as has half of Pennsylvania.
The Federalies make a pact with Canada for half the oil in North Dakota for assistance in taking Maine, the Dakotas and part of Alaska.
Mexico makes a separate pact with the California Federalies and make their move on southern Texas. Arizona and a large portion of Nevada fall to shear numbers and there is a movement among the California Federalies to separate from the Union altogether and become a separate country.

For the Rebels, they succeed in securing the Mississippi river valley and take part of South Carolina. There is a pocket of resistance remaining in the forests of Washington State but their influence is becoming depleted.

Hawaii declares independence.

What a mess.

Unless this scenario ends with Texas whoopin everyone else I find it highly unlikely. :whistling:

countsk
03-25-2012, 20:08
This government is broken and damaged beyond all repair. What's really galling, is that the animals in DC are going to try and make sure as many people suffer under their tyranny and mismanagement as possible.

The really sad thing is watching the true believers vote for stooges like Romney or Santorum, as if it makes any difference, whatsoever.

The sad thing is I used to be one of those true believers. Now I feel like I'm just standing at the edge looking down with the wolves closing in.

steveksux
03-26-2012, 19:52
See the SCOTUS Blog's This week at the Court (http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/03/this-week-at-the-court-71/) for links to the court cases they will be hearing oral arguments on this week.

The audio recordings and transcripts of the oral arguments will be made available in the afternoon following the arguments.
I'm assuming this was heard by lower courts initially, stuff just doesn't get dropped on SCOTUS, they get stuff on appeals. So I was wondering what arguments were used in those prior proceedings. Should be pretty close to the arguments that play out in front of SCOTUS this time. But still, thanks for the link, it'll be handy for keeping up with these current proceedings..

Randy

sbhaven
03-27-2012, 07:51
I'm assuming this was heard by lower courts initially, stuff just doesn't get dropped on SCOTUS, they get stuff on appeals. So I was wondering what arguments were used in those prior proceedings. Should be pretty close to the arguments that play out in front of SCOTUS this time. But still, thanks for the link, it'll be handy for keeping up with these current proceedings..

Randy
The SCOTUS Blog link does have sub links to the individual cases where there are links that appear to detail the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals opinions.

There is also this link: http://healthcarelawsuits.org/allcases.php That appears to have lots of information on the various cases against Obamacare.