Clothing for Survival/ preppers... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for Survival/ preppers...

glkdawg45
03-25-2012, 19:07
I was wondering what kind of clothing others would use for survival/ prepardness.
The military still likes to use wool socks, as they dry quicker than cotton.

I prefered the ripstop cammies as they are lighter and dry quicker than the all cotton ones. I figure jeans would be a bad choice (100 % cotton) especially once they got wet.

Tops with be fleece, or other mostirue wicking material.

Let the suggestions begin...

rhino673
03-25-2012, 19:18
My wardrobe consists mainly of Carhartt clothes. They are really tough comfortable clothes. I am sure there are more "survival type" clothing out there but I wear Carhartt every day now and will do so in the future.

NDCent
03-25-2012, 20:39
Hopefully, I won't have/need to be in moisture wicking materials for extended periods of time. A couple sets of "survival" type clothing is a must, but most of my wears would be of normal everyday clothing that wouldn't draw attention if moving through unfamiliar areas. I plan on staying put under all but extreme circumstances, so my normal jeans, carhartts, sweats, and tee's should work. Always have plenty of undies and socks; a sponge bath with a change of fresh socks and underwear could seem priceless.

Bolster
03-25-2012, 21:09
My wardrobe consists mainly of Carhartt clothes. They are really tough comfortable clothes.

Amen to that, just got my first pair of double knee dungarees, they're great. Although they are cotton and would not be good for cold wet climate.

I'll watch this thread for suggestions for non-cotton, tough pants.

Recently added a pair of nylon rainproof overpants.

Regards fleece sweaters, I have found the mother lode: the local thrift store. Loads of them, in great condition, just perfect for stashing in each vehicle and in the BOBs. $3 each, some name-brands like Land's End, etc.

RedHaze
03-25-2012, 21:31
I really like Wrangler's Ranger pants. Solid heavy duty pants similar to Carhartt. But are somewhat lighter weight. Something I appreciate here some summertime when it gets HOT.

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/4/49853m2_ts.jpg

blueyedmule
03-26-2012, 06:59
I wear Propper bdu pants daily, the poly/twill. It doesn't look out of place in my job. Mostly cotton shirts longsleeve and short which will get me killed in the mountains, which is why I always have fleeces and my sleeping bag to dive into if need be. Danner work boots, merino wool socks pretty much year-'round. Snow gear for the cold months, ripstop bdu shorts for summer and bug repellant. Carhartt rain gear which I use up in the snow. I should have some better undergarments for the cold weather, that's on the list. Getting sweaty/wet will kill you. Ball cap and winter cap, gloves for winter as well as summer.

bdcochran
03-26-2012, 08:25
For warmth and comfort, think "layered".
1. decide if you are allergic to wool or find it uncomfortable.
2. have at least one pair of spare of long johns.
3. have a pair of nylon half socks to slip under whatever socks you would normally wear. helps if you walk a long distance.
4. if you normally wear sneakers, wear sneakers. otherwise you have to adjust to boots. still, have a pair of swiss mountain climbing boots available.
5. for pants. double kneed. wide legs, adjustable waist and butt. if you simply are clueless, put on your normal skinny fit Wrangler jeans. lie down on the ground on your back. lift your legs of the ground and try to move them around. then stand up and try to put your leg straight out ahead of you on a rail or fence. Then try to lift your leg behind you. Even the densest will then understand. still don't understand? ok, lie down on stickers or rocks.
6. jacket. depends. have:
a. psuedo cameraman's field jacket with lots of pockets;
b. a paratrooper smock that comes down and covers the waist and upper legs.
c. a field jacket with lots of pockets.
You probably want the rugged Marlboro Man appearance (the poor guy died of lung cancer and made anti-cigarette appearances before he died). If you can't lift your arms and rotate them, you will have a problem when shtf. A flexible ski jacket is nice.

Here is what you avoid - wearing the black, wanna-be special forces outfit normally seen on security guards. you know, the guys who walk around with the used holsters and the pawn shop, rusted revolvers.

Babynine
03-26-2012, 10:18
Wool, Merino Wool, and more Wool!

For me it is Smartwool and Icebreaker 100% merino baselayers, a couple Pendleton Wool Board Shirts, a few LL.Bean 100% wool sweaters, and so far I only have one pair of wool pants, a cheap pair I got on clearance at Cabelas for $40. I also have over a dozen pair of quality wool socks

Been reading about what the old timers had to say about clothing and working outdoors loging and such, and they all seem to say its wool, or your miserable.

Some say that the Filson brand wool whipcord pants can be worn everyday for months on end, in the worst conditions logging, and not only will they not suffer any damage from thorns and burrs and tools, but they still wont stink after months of everday use, without washing!

Wool is somewhat water resistant, and it still maintains its insulation value even when soaking wet. It also air drys very easily, and is fire resistant so it can be safely worn/dried very close to a fire.

Being cold, wet and miserable outdoors weakens ones immune system, and being sick on top of being cold and wet is something I am trying to avoid. Just got back from camping again two days ago, and it rained about 15 times over the 3 days I was out. I was warm, dry, and comfortable the entire time.

TangoFoxtrot
03-27-2012, 04:41
In the woods I use poly prop as a base then the rest is layered for fall/winter months. If I were on the streets in a SHTF senario I would not be decked out in camo. I would not want to stand out.

dissthis
03-27-2012, 06:09
I've recently have been adding some clothing to my preps...some winter boots (60% off), surplus ACUs, Tru-Spec pants, surplus pants from other countries...some camo, some tan, some black...

Between the above and my everyday clothes I think I can dress as needed for SHTF...