Mother Seeks Trayvon Martin Trademarks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mother Seeks Trayvon Martin Trademarks

snerd
03-26-2012, 13:19
I would imagine there is plenty of money to be made for mamma.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/trayvon-martin-trademarks-769123

JBnTX
03-26-2012, 13:38
Wait for the civil lawsuit, the Opra Winfrey interview and whatever that bottom feeder Nancy Grace has planned.

Mamma going to be rolling in the coin.

:rofl:

Goaltender66
03-26-2012, 13:41
I'm not a psychologist, but I do think there's something odd about a mother trying to turn her dead son into a brand.

Fred Hansen
03-26-2012, 13:48
The stink of that alone is enough to knock a buzzard off a ****wagon.

:puking:

snerd
03-26-2012, 13:58
I'm not a psychologist.......
No need for a psychologist......... common sense can explain this one.

NDCent
03-26-2012, 14:08
Books, screenplays, etc...

The sister has a photo of Trayvon with a copyright logo on her FB profile...

Whatever floats your boat, I guess... :whistling:

JBnTX
03-26-2012, 14:26
I'm not a psychologist, but I do think there's something odd about a mother trying to turn her dead son into a brand.

In most all the national cases, a parent or other family member gets rich.

Natalee Holloway's mother has her own TV show.
John Walsh of America's Most Wanted is another example.

coastal4974
03-26-2012, 14:35
Trayvonís mother is obviously very distraught.

Sporaticus
03-26-2012, 15:19

I'm okay with it.

When your wife disappears and the cops demand multiple interviews and a polygraph before they will look for her, hope you have friends and family to tell you it's a bad idea.

Maybe she has smart friends who can help her turn a profit.

Ruble Noon
03-26-2012, 15:24

Green money is the elixir.

series1811
03-26-2012, 15:30

Coping with her grief in her own special way.

ChuteTheMall
03-26-2012, 15:31
I'm hoping to see a Kel-Tec Pf9 Special Edition.:shocked:

Brucev
03-26-2012, 15:48
In most all the national cases, a parent or other family member gets rich.

Natalee Holloway's mother has her own TV show.
John Walsh of America's Most Wanted is another example.

But... but... that's DIFFERENT! After all, they aren't well, you know...

g23rob
03-26-2012, 16:07
I'm hoping to see a Kel-Tec Pf9 Special Edition.:shocked:

maybe a parkerized slide with night sights
and a short reset trigger
for those humid sweaty nights

engineer151515
03-26-2012, 16:13
deleted

Gundude
03-26-2012, 16:17
I see that the rampant speculation and rush to judgement continues unabated.

callihan_44
03-26-2012, 16:37
most people I know would probably have been hospitalized after an event like this from being so distraught losing a child. I wouldnt be suprised now to see a lawsuit against the cops-city-state etc....

cowboywannabe
03-26-2012, 17:20
well, since she cant get gasta rap or nba money that shes sure he would have earned, she has to cash in on his corps instead.

GWSHARK
03-27-2012, 11:27
Things like this might be why...

http://www.thegrio.com/Trayvon_Flier.jpg

Gundude
03-27-2012, 11:40
Things like this might be why...

http://www.thegrio.com/Trayvon_Flier.jpgC'mon now. Stop offering alternative explanations. It's because she's a greedy heartless b**ch. That's the narrative and no contradicting facts or theories will be entertained here.

(irony)

Goaltender66
03-27-2012, 12:01
Here's what the family is saying the trademark is and the filing basis (from the trademark application):

Marks: "I Am Trayvon" and "Justice For Trayvon"

Basis: International Class 009: Digital materials, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring TRAYVON MARTIN; Digital media, namely, pre-recorded DVDs, downloadable audio and video recordings, and CDs featuring and promoting TRAYVON MARTIN; Digital media, namely, pre-recorded video cassettes, digital video discs, digital versatile discs, downloadable audio and video recordings, DVDs, and high definition digital discs featuring TRAYVON MARTIN; digital media, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring TRAYVON MARTIN; DVD cases, DVD sleeves, DVDs featuring TRAYVON MARTIN.

Intent to Use: The applicant has a bona fide intention to use or use through the applicants related company or licensee the mark in commerce on or in connection with the identified goods and/or services (15 USC Section 1051(b)).

As I said...odd.

ETA: Also found this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos/nightclub-cancels-trayvon-martin-themed-party

Nightclub Cancels Trayvon Martin Themed Party

Due to negative response, Bentley's Lingerie Lounge in North Carolina is canceling their “Justice in Memory of Trayvon Martin” club night, which offered free admission with an empty Skittles bag. The promoters said that proceeds would go to the NAACP, but that the flyer wasn't clear and apologized (https://twitter.com/#%21/TheMove2night/status/184339008187416577) for the confusion.

Negative response, event cancelled in the wake of public outcry? There may actually be something to this whole "limited government" thing. :)

Gundude
03-27-2012, 12:07
What's odd about it?

15 USC Section 1051 (b)

(1)
A person who has a bona fide intention, under circumstances showing the good faith of such person, to use a trademark in commerce may request registration of its trademark on the principal register hereby established by paying the prescribed fee and filing in the Patent and Trademark Office an application and a verified statement, in such form as may be prescribed by the Director.

GWSHARK
03-27-2012, 12:10
Negative response, event cancelled in the wake of public outcry? There may actually be something to this whole "limited government" thing. :)

Lots of folks seem to frown on public outcry... at least in the TM/GZ case...

Goaltender66
03-27-2012, 12:11
What's odd about it?

Odd given the trademark basis. The family is going to use "I Am Trayvon" in connection with a line of DVDs and CDs? They going to market the I Am Trayvon mix or something? The "Justice For Trayvon" movie collection?

I'll modify "odd" to "cynical" if you prefer. :)

Goaltender66
03-27-2012, 12:14
Lots of folks seem to frown on public outcry... at least in the TM/GZ case...

Well, there's outcry criticizing a tasteless event and there's outcry that's calling for the lynching of someone not even charged with a crime and well in advance of the facts.

cowboywannabe
03-27-2012, 13:02
Well, there's outcry criticizing a tasteless event and there's outcry that's calling for the lynching of someone not even charged with a crime and well in advance of the facts. isnt that the KKK that does this? oh wait, now theres a black KKK.

carry on.

Gary W Trott
03-28-2012, 08:10
Goalie, Could be that she wants to prevent others from using her dead son's name and likeness for their own purposes. I haven't read anything about the story but that is one of the first things that came to my mind.

Big Mad Dawg
03-28-2012, 08:26
Sure that’s the story it’s not about greed on her part it’s all about preventing greed.

I am sure that if my daughter was killed or died the first thing my wife would do is trade mark her name in an attempt to prevent someone using her name. Martin’s mother has an interesting why of demonstrating her grief.

Goaltender66
03-28-2012, 08:35
Goalie, Could be that she wants to prevent others from using her dead son's name and likeness for their own purposes. I haven't read anything about the story but that is one of the first things that came to my mind.

Given the basis of the trademark application, apparently she's planning on marketing memorial DVDs featuring her son. The marks being applied for are two specific phrases.

robertoh
03-28-2012, 08:39
When Gloria Allred gets involved then you'll know that there will be big bucks to be made. I bet Al Sharpton is in for a big cut already.

Gundude
03-28-2012, 08:50
Sure that’s the story it’s not about greed on her part it’s all about preventing greed.

I am sure that if my daughter was killed or died the first thing my wife would do is trade mark her name in an attempt to prevent someone using her name. Martin’s mother has an interesting why of demonstrating her grief.First thing?

The application was made almost a full month after the shooting.

You and everybody else attacking the mother are exhibiting the exact same behavior the race-baiters are: Making accusations and insinuations based on no real facts.

Goaltender66
03-28-2012, 08:57
First thing?

The application was made almost a full month after the shooting.

You and everybody else attacking the mother are exhibiting the exact same behavior the race-baiters are: Making accusations and insinuations based on no real facts.

I don't know about that. The facts are that the family filed two trademark applications for the phrases "I Am Trayvon" and "Justice For Trayvon" for use on various digital media including CDs and DVDs, and that under penalty of perjury the family represents a bona fide intention to use those phrases in commerce.

If her intention is to prevent others from using her kid's name on t-shirts and such, well, you don't need a trademark to bring suit for unauthorized/unlawful use of name or likeness. Most states have laws prohibiting exactly that.

scattershot
03-28-2012, 09:11
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/549808_388750021150188_355080727850451_1281793_678254171_n.jpg

Gundude
03-28-2012, 09:12
I don't know about that. The facts are that the family filed two trademark applications for the phrases "I Am Trayvon" and "Justice For Trayvon" for use on various digital media including CDs and DVDs, and that under penalty of perjury the family represents a bona fide intention to use those phrases in commerce.

If her intention is to prevent others from using her kid's name on t-shirts and such, well, you don't need a trademark to bring suit for unauthorized/unlawful use of name or likeness. Most states have laws prohibiting exactly that.We don't know her intention, just like we didn't know Trayvon's nor Zimmerman's. Speculating is human nature, but the irony of the same group of people blasting the race-baiters for their speculation (which involves demonizing a person or group of people), while trying to justify their own speculation, is not lost here.

We'll probably find out soon enough though. In another month nobody will remember the name Trayvon Martin, so if she's trying to cash in, she'd better hurry.

Gundude
03-28-2012, 09:14
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/549808_388750021150188_355080727850451_1281793_678254171_n.jpgI think I'm all irony'd out already, but thanks for the attempt... :upeyes:

Goaltender66
03-28-2012, 09:24
We don't know her intention, just like we didn't know Trayvon's nor Zimmerman's. Speculating is human nature, but the irony of the same group of people blasting the race-baiters for their speculation (which involves demonizing a person or group of people), while trying to justify their own speculation, is not lost here.

We'll probably find out soon enough though. In another month nobody will remember the name Trayvon Martin, so if she's trying to cash in, she'd better hurry.

But we do know her intention for the trademark. It's on the application.

Gundude
03-28-2012, 10:00
But we do know her intention for the trademark. It's on the application.
Engaging in commerce is not equivalent to profiting personally, just like killing somebody is not equivalent to murder. We don't know what type of commerce she has in mind. We don't know to whom the money, if any is made, will go. It's easy to assume the worst, just don't be surprised when others (so called "race-baiters") assume the worst in ways that you don't agree with.

Goaltender66
03-28-2012, 10:14
Engaging in commerce is not equivalent to profiting personally, just like killing somebody is not equivalent to murder. We don't know what type of commerce she has in mind. We don't know to whom the money, if any is made, will go. It's easy to assume the worst, just don't be surprised when others (so called "race-baiters") assume the worst in ways that you don't agree with.

I don't believe I ever argued that she wanted to personally profit, only that I thought it odd to do such a thing (file a trademark and turn her kid into a brand) in the wake of her kid's death under such circumstances. It's not as though lack of a trademark is keeping her from producing the DVDs and selling them anyway.

And actually, I do believe that planning to market a line of Trayvon Martin CDs/DVDs is somewhat cynical.

Big Mad Dawg
03-28-2012, 10:18
The apple doesn’t fall fare from the tree.

Baby and baby mama are probably not a lot different.

Fred Hansen
03-29-2012, 20:00
I see that the rampant speculation and rush to judgement continues unabated.No. Just common sense.When you file a trademark application you either have to assert 1) that you are currently using the mark in commerce; or 2) that you have a bona fide intent to use the mark within interstate commerce within 6 months.

Trademarks by definition involve commerce. Don't mistake this for a copyright where she just wants to copyright some slogans and prevent others from using them. This is an attempt to use those slogans in interstate commerce.

Even if she just wanted to prevent others from using them, she couldn't file a TM application without the bona fide intent to use it in commerce. Plus, anyone else who uses Trayvon's(tm) name is probably entitled to a fair use defense because his name is descriptive.http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411209