Do you use Gamma Seal Lids? Like them? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Gamma Seal Lids? Like them?

Bolster
03-26-2012, 14:32
If you use Gamma Seal Lids on 5-gal buckets, are you satisfied? How do they work, do they wedge into place, screw, or what?

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-26-2012, 14:37
They go on the bucket more or less like a normal lid.. the more is, once on a bucket, they are staying on THAT bucket. Then the center screws out. We have them color coded for the "working" buckets. IE: when the working bucket of rice (red lid) is empty, I open a regular mylard bucket and dump the contents into the working bucket, load the pantry rice jar, screw down the top on the gamma seal lid. No need for O2 absorbers or anything, since that food is being used and will only be in there a few months.

I then normally got to Sam's and buy 3 #50 bags of rice, pick up 4 buckets at the bakery, and bucket that rice.. adding to my larder.. lol.

mac66
03-26-2012, 15:43
yes and yes

Bolster
03-26-2012, 15:55
They go on the bucket more or less like a normal lid.. the more is, once on a bucket, they are staying on THAT bucket. Then the center screws out.

Excellent, exactly what I needed to know. Thank you sir. I'll assume Amazon is as good a source as any.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-26-2012, 16:00
Excellent, exactly what I needed to know. Thank you sir. I'll assume Amazon is as good a source as any.

Here is my suggestion for your plastic bucket storage needs, including gamma.
http://www.usplastic.com/

BerettaGrl
03-26-2012, 17:05
Gamma Seals work on 6 gallon buckets too.

I love them. If I had to make a choice I would have foregone the lids that you hammer on and pry off and just done gammas. If you regularly use and rotate your stores, gammas make more sense.

We keep the red ones for Bug out Buckets.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-27-2012, 05:57

Have not used Amazon, but have had no problems with anything I orderd from them.

We got ours from E.E. when we did a group buy with several friends..

Kieller
03-27-2012, 11:01
Gamma seal lids are the way to go. I especially like them since I get into several of my buckets bi-monthly to take out a new ration of rice/beans/whatever.

rwrjr
03-27-2012, 11:16
I'm a big Amazon fan and they're usually competitive on price but for gamma lids, their prices suck. I've ordered from US Plastic before, both buckets and lids and have never had any problems.

Fair warning if you do order from US Plastic though. They'll start sending you a big honking catalog that contains all kinds of stuff you didn't know you needed until you saw it on the page. :rollsmiley:

Chindo18Z
03-27-2012, 11:33
Home Depot carries Gamma Lids these days.

Color choice is black; in the paint bucket section.

If you don't have a Home Depot nearby, I believe that you can order from them on-line.

Bolster
03-27-2012, 12:25
Home Depot carries Gamma Lids these days. Color choice is black; in the paint bucket section.

How did I miss these? Thanks for the tip.

DoctaGlockta
03-27-2012, 12:30
Costco.com has them along with buckets too. I remember them being a good deal - free shipping too.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-27-2012, 13:09

If you don't have a Home Depot nearby, I believe that you can order from them on-line.

Food grade?

(I don't know, just a question :) )

DScottHewitt
03-27-2012, 13:30

They also have the Homer Bucket for like <$3

I do not know if it is food quality, though.....

Chindo18Z
03-27-2012, 13:55
Food grade? (Gamma Lids)

(I don't know, just a question )

I don't honestly know. They look the same as ones I've ordered in previous years from food storage vendors...except that they are black.

I use 'em...

I've come to the conclusion (after years of reading the debates on various sites) that the whole food grade thing is vastly overblown... YMMV.

I've been using white paint buckets (and even Homer buckets) for years without issue.

Bolster
03-27-2012, 14:36
FOOD GRADE ->

I actually did the footwork on this one, months ago. ARGEE is the company that makes the HD buckets in my area. Called them, and their answer was:

Any of the WHITE ARGEE buckets are food grade. (Since then they've started adding a sticker on their whites that says so.)

However, any of their COLORED buckets, like the HOMER ORANGE bucket, is NOT food grade. It has to do with the release agent used on the colored buckets. ARGEE told me the release chemicals used on their colored buckets are not healthy so don't store food in a HOMER bucket.

I don't know if the release agent thing is overblown or not but I'm going with the manufacturer's recommendation on this one.

Kieller
03-30-2012, 11:26
FOOD GRADE ->

I actually did the footwork on this one, months ago. ARGEE is the company that makes the HD buckets in my area. Called them, and their answer was:

Any of the WHITE ARGEE buckets are food grade. (Since then they've started adding a sticker on their whites that says so.)

However, any of their COLORED buckets, like the HOMER ORANGE bucket, is NOT food grade. It has to do with the release agent used on the colored buckets. ARGEE told me the release chemicals used on their colored buckets are not healthy so don't store food in a HOMER bucket.

I don't know if the release agent thing is overblown or not but I'm going with the manufacturer's recommendation on this one.

Makes sense, all the food grade buckets I have seen are white. Never seen a blue/black/etc food grade bucket. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just sayin'.

WolfNotSheep
03-30-2012, 11:55
I've used Homer buckets for years without any problems. All the stuff I had set back for Y2K is still good. It is all sealed inside mylar bags inside the bucket though, so that may have something to do with longevity.

If I were foregoing mylar bags and relying only on a bucket/lid combo to store my food I would go with food grade. Since I use mylar, I don't worry about it.

secamp32
03-31-2012, 21:00
Lowes has food grade buckets, @$4 each. They are clearly marked "Food Grade".

R_W
04-01-2012, 08:59
Makes sense, all the food grade buckets I have seen are white. Never seen a blue/black/etc food grade bucket. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just sayin'.

The brand that does most Lowes and Walmart (can't remember the name) has colored food grade EXCEPT the recycled plastic ones--it is because it isn't NEW plastic and FDA rules.

It doesn't really matter if you are using mylar anyway:dunno:

Protus
04-01-2012, 09:58

ive got around 30+ RED food grade buckets in arms reach of me..ive got yellow and green ones as well,.only thing that makes it "food grade" is the release agents used in the molding.

But if your packing your LTS with mylars, it is a moot point ( if your using new(lowes/homer ) or used buckets ( used as in once held food)

Kieller
04-02-2012, 11:22
ive got around 30+ RED food grade buckets in arms reach of me..ive got yellow and green ones as well,.only thing that makes it "food grade" is the release agents used in the molding.

But if your packing your LTS with mylars, it is a moot point ( if your using new(lowes/homer ) or used buckets ( used as in once held food)

Makes sense, just never looked hard enough to notice I guess. Either way, I use mylars so it is a mute point :supergrin:

Bushflyr
04-03-2012, 21:45
I've got a few buckets with Gamma seals and they're GREAT. Once it on there the threaded ring isn't coming off and the lids screw down air tight. They are, however, really expensive and pointless for long term storage. Use them, like SFC said, for a working bucket that you have to dip into a lot. Use regular lids on your long term storage buckets.

bdcochran
04-03-2012, 22:24
I was making a two bucket 5 gallon filter today using gamma lids. Red means potential problems-the source water. Blue on the bottom means clean water.

I used youtube to study the two container filter. When I started making it, I realized that I do need to take the lids off from time to time; hence the gamma lids.

Bushflyr
04-04-2012, 00:39
That's a great idea. I got a couple filter elements from Monolithic (http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/just-water-filters/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter) (great test results and cheap) but I haven't gotten around to putting the buckets together yet.

(Hi-ho, hi-ho, off to Home Despot I go)....

Protus
04-04-2012, 05:59
Makes sense, just never looked hard enough to notice I guess. Either way, I use mylars so it is a mute point :supergrin:
grammer nazi:tongueout:

Bolster
04-04-2012, 10:05
That's a great idea. I got a couple filter elements from Monolithic (http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/just-water-filters/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter) (great test results and cheap) but I haven't gotten around to putting the buckets together yet.

(Hi-ho, hi-ho, off to Home Despot I go)....

Cooool! Wow those really are inexpensive!!

I need to do something like this!!

Now, I assume that gives you a water filter, not a water purifier, so you're good to go against bacteria and protozoa cysts, but not viruses, right?

So do you have to follow up with a chemical treatment?

WAIT, I'll start a separate thread on this...

grammer nazi:tongueout:

Ha! One point given to Protus for distinguishing between a "moot" point and a "mute" one.