Home Security Systems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Systems

NH Trucker
03-26-2012, 17:41
My bride-to-be and I are going to be closing on our first house this Thursday, and one thing I've been giving a lot of thought to is having a home security system installed. I have identified the weak points in the home as far as ease of unauthorized entry and will be addressing those prior to moving in, but I also would prefer the added security of an alarm system. The house has central AC, so there won't be any issues with having an air conditioner sticking out the window which would create an easy entry point, and I'm going to have deadbolts installed on the doors, if not replacing the doors with some that are stronger. The house has a bulkhead going to the basement from the back yard, which I'm currently looking up how to secure better, as well as installing a new interior basement door with a deadbolt and/or a bar that goes across the door on the inside. There are only two windows to the basement, one of which is under the small and short porch, and the other will be getting security bars.

Other than a dog (which will be a new addition in the coming months), do you have any recommendations for an alarm company or system?

Mas Ayoob
03-27-2012, 13:11
I'm more concerned about the competence and integrity of the installer than anything else; there are a lot of fly-by-night folks doing alarm systems.

Asking the police department for recommendations is fine, but they can't specifically endorse one commercial product or entity over another, so you'll get a list of licensed installers.

Best bet is to get to know some local cops and ask them a personal question rather than a professional one, and ask while they're off duty and not speaking for the agency. The question is, "What alarm system do YOU use at YOUR home?"

Your local cops know who the fly-by-night folks are, and who's trustworthy; who's going to install crap that gives a false alarm every time there's a thunderstorm, and who installs the right stuff correctly. What they have for themselves personally is what I want for myself personally, locality for locality.

best,
Mas