After A Long Day Of Grass Cuttin'... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : After A Long Day Of Grass Cuttin'...

USMCsilver
03-26-2012, 19:21
I thought I'd relax a bit.

Did about 3 acres w/ a 54" Deere. After that, I hit ~30 ant mounds with the good ole Amdro.

I don't drink much beer while I mow because it gets too sloshed around and tastes like ****.

Afterwards, it was time for a watery cold one and some real relaxation!

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/USMCsilver/Web%20Photos/2012-03-26_16-48-14_190-1.jpg?t=1332795054

michael e
03-26-2012, 19:26
Wish I could shot in my yard after I cut it. At same time it takes me all of about 20 mins to cut mine with a push mower, If I drink can strech it out to a couple of hours to get out of other house work.

W Turner
03-26-2012, 19:39
Cue the "alcohol and gunpowder should not be in the same zip code" Nazis in 5...4...3..

I used to cut 2 acres with a 42" mower. Now I just pay a local guy $50 to do it for me. He's retired and cuts yards as a side business and I can make that money in less time at work than it takes me to cut it. It's a win for both of us.

BTW- I agree about mowing with a beer, the vibration will flatten a beer in no time not to mention that warm beer tastes like pi$$.

W

USMCsilver
03-26-2012, 19:41
Cue the "alcohol and gunpowder should not be in the same zip code nazi's" in 5...4...3..

Oh...hell, I know. I'm a big boy, I can handle them. :supergrin:

I don't see a beer and a car a problem, and I put MANY more people at risk when I drive, ya know?

FWIW, all bullets made impact where desired. :wavey:

WILLSARV
03-26-2012, 19:46
Oh...hell, I know. I'm a big boy, I can handle them. :supergrin:

I don't see a beer and a car a problem, and I put MANY more people at risk when I drive, ya know?

FWIW, all bullets made impact where desired. :wavey:

Good fodder for the anti's.

Rule one:
Booze and guns and booze and cars should never be mixed.

Rule two:
If you think you have an exception see rule one.

USMCsilver
03-26-2012, 19:50
Well, hell -- just so this won't come down to bashing because of a single, watered down Busch Light, maybe I should go do some Photoshop and turn it into a Coke? :upeyes:

BTW, the "antis" are too busy w/ Trayvon right now, so I think I'm good.

RedHaze
03-26-2012, 19:54
It's probably because you're one of those vicious baby killing Marines! Just think of all the cute cuddly bunnies you could of provided homes for with all that grass you cut. You murderer!

Semper Fi devil.

You should photoshop it into some strait grain alcohol... and add a hand with it's finger in the trigger guard! OMG

faawrenchbndr
03-26-2012, 19:55
Awesome,..........

USMCsilver
03-26-2012, 19:56
It's probably because you're one of those vicious baby killing Marines! Just think of all the cute cuddly bunnies you could of provided homes for with all that grass you cut. You murderer!

Semper Fi devil.

Awe, hell -- kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out! :)

Semper Fi!

craig19
03-26-2012, 19:56
I wish I could shoot in my back yard. Of course, if I could, I would go broke buying ammo.:whistling:

bac1023
03-26-2012, 20:20
Very cool indeed :cool:

longhair
03-27-2012, 03:32
As I recollect, you also drink while hunting, yes?

TalkToTheGlock
03-27-2012, 08:21
Just add some tabakkeee and you would be part of the ATF!

iPhone 4

4 glocks
03-27-2012, 09:54
Give him a break Bush Light is 99.99% water. I do not drink beer on a rider it will go flat so fast. I just take lots of breaks.:tequila::tequila:

liberty911
03-27-2012, 10:56
When I was a kid, my grandpa would make me mow his front 3 acres with a push mower, but we always went plinking out back when I was done. Good times and good memories!

CMG
03-27-2012, 14:42
I used to cut my 5 acres with a 54" conventional rider, but a couple years back, I bought a 60" Gravely zero-turn. Reduced my mowing time by nearly half... and it has cup holders!

FLIPPER 348
03-27-2012, 15:05
Good fodder for the anti's.

Rule one:
Booze and guns and booze and cars should never be mixed.

Rule two:
If you think you have an exception see rule one.

Mix them all the time. Thankfully the GT nannys were not around.

USMCsilver
03-27-2012, 18:13

Good memory! :rofl:

Either that, or you keep a tallysheet on guys like me. :wavey:

longhair
03-27-2012, 18:35
I'm always concerned when people who are raising kids do dumb things with guns.

USMCsilver
03-27-2012, 18:49

That's very nice of you.

FWIW, I don't do "dumb things" with guns when around my kid. :embarassed:

meathead19
03-27-2012, 18:58

You should probably worry about what you can control....if anything.

01coltcolt
03-27-2012, 19:03
OP That looks like all day fun!
The most fun memory from when I was younger, sitting on a boat in a lake in AZ in the middle of no where. Fish were'nt biteing, so we throw 20 bobbers in the water. My dad cracks me a beer and we used my Marlin .22 lr Model 25 to sink them:)

USMCsilver
03-27-2012, 19:36
OP That looks like all day fun!
The most fun memory from when I was younger, sitting on a boat in a lake in AZ in the middle of no where. Fish were'nt biteing, so we throw 20 bobbers in the water. My dad cracks me a beer and we used my Marlin .22 lr Model 25 to sink them:)

Sounds like a blast!

Back when I was 17/18ish, my best friends (twins) and I would drink some beer at their "pondhouse". We'd sit on a picnic table and pop turtles for HOURS.

It made for a joyous time!

(EDIT - underage drinking and guns: I'm going straight to hell and it's a damned miracle that I've lived this long.)

irishbum
03-27-2012, 20:27
Man 1 beer and a gun and peopls start wonder'n where pregnant wife with the blackeye is. Or you dirty kids with kool-aid stained mustaches,I see a beer there must be another 40 empty ones not in the picture.

People need to worry about themselves, not assume things about others and attempt to slander others.

Nice can btw, also where is the 10/22? You do have that sexy black Tac Sol with houge stock? I could be wrong.

Though I had you on my list-people who have a nicer 10/22 than me.

USMCsilver
03-27-2012, 20:34
LOL, I just took out that one to run a couple rounds through.

The X-Ring stayed in the safe. :) I did think about breakin' out one of my other 10/22s, but decided to pass. My kid, Colt, came home and wanted to play T-ball. He stood behind me, with his safety glasses, for two mags and then his attention span was shot. He's 3 years, 3 months, so I can't fault him too much for that.

So...you people do have lists!?!

Haldor
03-27-2012, 20:48

Along with lots of others. Heck if fishing and drinking couldn't go together, I doubt if very many people would go fishing.

A beer is refreshing, not drinking. A six-pack or some hard liquor now that is drinking.

Big Mad Dawg
03-27-2012, 23:22

And what exactly is the ďdumb things with gunsĒ in this case?

Last time I checked you can drink a beer let alone a light beer and still drive legally. Do you feel a personís abilities are so affected by one beer that they are then a danger if they fire a few rounds? I donít drink but I also trust most here to be responsible with weapons especially a Marine. I like to think that I treat people (and members here) like I want to be treated I donít need a nanny and I doubt USMCsilver need you as one ether.

longhair
03-28-2012, 03:05
Sorry guys, not changing my stance. His child will grow up thinking guns and drinking is okay. Just like driving and drinking, it's not okay. I will never hesitate to point out dumb things, especially when they involve guns, alcohol, and children.

WILLSARV
03-28-2012, 14:43
Along with lots of others. Heck if fishing and drinking couldn't go together, I doubt if very many people would go fishing.

A beer is refreshing, not drinking. A six-pack or some hard liquor now that is drinking.

This reminds me of Bill Clinton and the " I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewenski." Getting a header was sex and he knew it was. Drinking is drinking, alcohol is alcohol no matter what kind of bottle it comes out of. It's people that do stupid stuff like handling a firearm while drinking that make us all look bad to the non-shooting public.

You know you're wrong. Quit trying to defend the indefensible.

arclight610
03-28-2012, 14:56
Personally, I only drink when I'm reloading.

NeverMore1701
03-28-2012, 15:21
More panty-waistedness on GT, shocking.

Looks like you had a good time, OP.

USMCsilver
03-28-2012, 15:39
It's people that do stupid stuff like handling a firearm while drinking that make us all look bad to the non-shooting public.

You know you're wrong. Quit trying to defend the indefensible.

I'm not defending myself against anything. I'm taking all this in stride. You have your opinions, and I have mine. You're not gonna change mine, and I'm not going to change yours. No defense, on my behalf, needed. :)

More panty-waistedness on GT, shocking.

Looks like you had a good time, OP.

NM, yup - a quick, relaxing shoot. It's wonderful to live out in the country and be able to go pull the trigger at my leisure.

GSSF17
03-28-2012, 19:09

Congrats on the good time. Haters gonna hate.

Also, I will have to fix it in my stats.... I thought you only would hunt when you drank. :thumbsup:

IBTL

USMCsilver
03-28-2012, 19:12
Congrats on the good time. Haters gonna hate.

Also, I will have to fix it in my stats.... I thought you only would hunt when you drank.

IBTL

Uhh...only dove. Oh, wait, then there's Rock 'n Rye for ducks (I rarely duck hunt, though).

Oh, one more -- sometimes we'll ride around on a UTV and search for hogs while enjoying a beverage.

Amazing no one's gotten shot yet with all this insane activity... :upeyes:

longhair
03-29-2012, 04:31

I always try to keep an eye on fools with guns. Especially when they are raising a new generation.

Glockdude1
03-29-2012, 05:21
I could shoot in my backyard. My neighbors would be upset though.

:tongueout:

Haldor
03-29-2012, 11:58
Personally, I only drink when I'm reloading.

Boy you do like to live dangerously.

NeverMore1701
03-29-2012, 12:53
I always try to keep an eye on fools with guns. Especially when they are raising a new generation.

I'm sure you've saved countless lives with your superheroesque vigilance :upeyes:

longhair
03-29-2012, 13:21

I don't think I said anything about fishing and drinking. I was talking about firearms. I do believe that is a different kettle of fish.
I believe they allow you to drive with a blood alcohol level less than .08. My state requires a blood alcohol level of 0.00 to carry concealed. I believe the game warden allows you to drink while fish. I am pretty sure they give tickets for shooting game and drinking. I also believe the sport shooting does not allow any alcohol in their venue. Now that tells me that most sane and reasonable people who deal with firearms are pretty convinced that shooting and drinking is a dumb idea. Even more so when you are training the next generation. What surprises me most is the lack of reaction from the rest of the board. Mixing alcohol and firearms is beyond the pale. Not only is it stupid, it is mostly illegal.
Now all of you who think I'm a hater, get over it. It is a stupid practice and a guaranteed darwin award just waiting to happen.

Just_plinking
03-29-2012, 14:58
What surprises me most is the lack of reaction from the rest of the board.

What never surprises me is how people always want to tell you what to do even if they don't know much about what you do, and even if what you're doing doesn't effect them.

USMCsilver
03-29-2012, 16:23
I don't think I said anything about fishing and drinking. I was talking about firearms. I do believe that is a different kettle of fish.
I believe they allow you to drive with a blood alcohol level less than .08. My state requires a blood alcohol level of 0.00 to carry concealed. I believe the game warden allows you to drink while fish. I am pretty sure they give tickets for shooting game and drinking. I also believe the sport shooting does not allow any alcohol in their venue. Now that tells me that most sane and reasonable people who deal with firearms are pretty convinced that shooting and drinking is a dumb idea. Even more so when you are training the next generation. What surprises me most is the lack of reaction from the rest of the board. Mixing alcohol and firearms is beyond the pale. Not only is it stupid, it is mostly illegal.
Now all of you who think I'm a hater, get over it. It is a stupid practice and a guaranteed darwin award just waiting to happen.

Well...around here, I've never gotten into a beef with a warden while having a beer and shooting dove on private land. I've never gotten hammered while doing so, and I'm sure if I had, then I'd have learned a lesson.

Fishing and beer? You say that's okay? Well, guess what comes with that? Driving a boat. So -- you can operate a 6,000 pound vessle on water while drinking, but I can't drink one watered down beer and shoot a .22 at a piece of 3/8" steel?

Can you say double standard? I sure can. :tongueout:

And, yes...chalk me up as beer on the water, too. My Yetis always accompany me on my boats! Not leavng land without them. One rule though -- no liquor in the summertime on the boats. I learned my lesson with that one. :)

NeverMore1701
03-29-2012, 16:52

Guess we'll all read about him killing himself then.

You know, or not.

longhair
03-29-2012, 17:01
Not everybody drives a boat while fishing. Besides, I believe the law allows a blood alcohol level below .08 while operating a water vessel. I didn't make the law. I do know that any organization, law included, prohibits alcohol and firearms. I didn't make those laws either, but I follow them. I also know that only idiots engage in both activities while in the presence of children.
If you wanted to keep these activities private, don't post about them on an open forum. Otherwise you should expect condemnation on idiotic activities. What amazes me is the number of other idiots that approve.

NeverMore1701
03-29-2012, 17:05
Not everybody drives a boat while fishing. Besides, I believe the law allows a blood alcohol level below .08 while operating a water vessel. I didn't make the law. I do know that any organization, law included, prohibits alcohol and firearms. I didn't make those laws either, but I follow them. I also know that only idiots engage in both activities while in the presence of children.
If you wanted to keep these activities private, don't post about them on an open forum. Otherwise you should expect condemnation on idiotic activities. What amazes me is the number of other idiots that approve.

Maybe you should mosey on over to a forum populated with other enlightened people such as yourself.

USMCsilver
03-29-2012, 17:13

Who said anything about wanting to "keep them private"? I don't give two flyin' turds about who knows what I do or how I do it.

I didn't catch it before I went to reply, but where are you from? Awe, hell, while I'm at it, what's your age range, income range, ethnicity, and religion? :dunno:

I've got a sociology minor...so needless to say, I'm intrigued how such things effect some's views.

One other question -- that I really hope that you'll answer honestly: have you ever done anything stupid in your life? Have you repeated such a behavior since the outcome was actually posiitve?

Just curious...

longhair
03-29-2012, 17:48
Son, if you can find me someone who is an NRA instructor, any type of firearm instructor, who will tell me I am in the wrong about what I have posted, I will gladly leave this forum. If the authorities tell me I'm wrong, then obviously, I'm in the wrong place. I care deeply about firearm rights, and anyone I find abusing them, especially with idiotic behavior around children, I will call out. You have a large support group, but I think they are as mistaken as you.

longhair
03-29-2012, 17:53
Maybe you should mosey on over to a forum populated with other enlightened people such as yourself.
I thought I was there, then you showed up.(lol)

FLIPPER 348
03-29-2012, 18:08
What surprises me most is the lack of reaction from the rest of the board. Mixing alcohol and firearms is beyond the pale. Not only is it stupid, it is mostly illegal.

That's because most all here are adults without addiction issues.

USMCsilver
03-29-2012, 18:09
Son, if you can find me ...

It doesn't matter to me what some fancy-nancy NRA firearms instructor may believe. I couldn't care less about what some LEO would think about the matter. (No offense to NRA instructors nor LEOs -- as far as this issue goes, it really holds no merit if you're either one.)

I am a self-absorbed, egotistical, maniacal individual who will do whatever-the-hell I want, when I want, and not care much about what someone else thinks. (Granted, this doesn't really apply to most family members. However, if they were to share your views, well, I'd tell them to piss up a rope, too.)

Again, I think your socio-economic background and/or geolocation plays a great part here. And, since you probably have/had no control over it, I won't fault you. :embarassed:

ETA: I grant you permission to use the 1st sentence of the 2nd paragraph in your signature line.

longhair
03-29-2012, 18:20
Great redirection. It serves you and your buddies well. When faced with overwhelming evidence of ignorance, change the venue.
Also good call on 'pseudo-intelligencia', always impressive when redirecting. Besides, my main concern is what the youth are learning from the practices of their elders, especially when those practices are questionable.

USMCsilver
03-29-2012, 18:28
Thank you, sir!

You are the one with the initial "redirection". It wasn't a "OMG -- beer and guns will end the world" type thread. You're the one who came in and started all the touchy-feely concerned for our children stuff.

I'm done.

Off to get hammered, beat my wife, throw my kid off the ceiling, shoot some empties with the shotgun, and then drive to go get some more beer!

(Oh, how I love thee, GT!) :tempted:

true believer
03-29-2012, 18:28
Sorry guys, not changing my stance. His child will grow up thinking guns and drinking is okay. Just like driving and drinking, it's not okay. I will never hesitate to point out dumb things, especially when they involve guns, alcohol, and children.

dude, you need to chill out!! stay out of the mans thread if you have nothing nice to say..
remember, if you want others to follow rules then you should take a refresher course and follow the rules of gt!!
just saying..

true believer
03-29-2012, 18:31
Thank you, sir!

You are the one with the initial "redirection". It wasn't a "OMG -- beer and guns will end the world" type thread. You're the one who came in and started all the touchy-feely concerned for our children stuff.

I'm done.

Off to get hammered, beat my wife, throw my kid off the ceiling, shoot some empties with the shotgun, and then drive to go get some more beer!

(Oh, how I love thee, GT!) :tempted:

nope, your wrong...do all the above and let your son drive your truck to get your beer..he can sit on your lap so technically, thats not a dui...
:rofl::wavey:

USMCsilver
03-29-2012, 18:33
nope, your wrong...do all the above and let your son drive your truck to get your beer..he can sit on your lap so technically, thats not a dui...
:rofl::wavey:

Bob, the last time I saw the news, that didn't quite turn out so well. :tongueout:

longhair
03-30-2012, 03:13
dude, you need to chill out!! stay out of the mans thread if you have nothing nice to say..
remember, if you want others to follow rules then you should take a refresher course and follow the rules of gt!!
just saying..
I miss the good old days when people were embarrassed about being ignorant. No truer words were spoken in this situation. Idiotic, and risky behavior on a gun board and is okay. Pointing out said behavior and I'm the bad guy. You may need a refresher course on moderating,buddy. This is pure poison for a site dedicated to the 2nd amendment. Dumb moves all around.

BlackPaladin
03-30-2012, 03:28
For the record, the OP is a stand up person who cares deeply for his family and puts them before anything else. I am not sure where this thread turned around and I am not going to count posts. Look guy, if the OP is proud of his mowing, his beer, and his hobbies and wants to throw it into one package and tell us, GOOD ON HIM. The alternative is a boring website dedicated to politically correct discussions. PCedness is going to be the thing that sinks our freedoms.

BlackPaladin
03-30-2012, 03:29
BTW, pics of this custom 10/22 please.

longhair
03-30-2012, 03:38
The minute he involved alcohol and his kid with his shooting,and posted it on a public forum, his family took a back seat. There is no good spin on this one.

WILLSARV
03-30-2012, 07:05
The minute he involved alcohol and his kid with his shooting,and posted it on a public forum, his family took a back seat. There is no good spin on this one.

I would like to hear the reaction to this headline: "Man accidentally shoots grandson while drinking beer".

But grandpa says it was only one watered down beer and it played no part in the accident.

I bet grandpa wouldn't be well received on this forum.

NeverMore1701
03-30-2012, 11:47

Blah blah blah blah blah.

:upeyes:

USMCsilver
03-30-2012, 15:26
BTW, pics of this custom 10/22 please.

Thanks for the above. Which one? The Tactical Solutions X-Ring?

Sorry, but don't have one with the suppressor attached:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wFLzOqXR_O4/TsmETiR137I/AAAAAAAABmk/_ZjjHsEIDnc/s1131/xring.jpg

May I add that you don't see a pile of crushed empties? I'm not here to try to justify anything here, as your and my ideas are polar opposites, but the beer was probably more than 1/2 full during the whole 3-mag, 75-round "session". :upeyes:

But grandpa says it was only one watered down beer and it played no part in the accident.

I bet grandpa wouldn't be well received on this forum.

Not "grandpa" here, but "dad".

Beer, water, Gatorade. Accidents happen. I'd say 1 (or 1/2 in this case) is nothin' to fuss over. But, well, looks like I've been wrong quite a few times in this thead!

Rancher
03-30-2012, 16:40
Confused on the rifle comments. First pic, first page, a M&P 15/22 right? If not, what is it? What can do you have on there?

Rancher

USMCsilver
03-30-2012, 18:19
Confused on the rifle comments. First pic, first page, a M&P 15/22 right? If not, what is it? What can do you have on there?

Rancher

Yup -- it's a 15-22MOE. It's a Tactical Innovations (local company) suppressor. Awesome and quiet. Tens of thousands of rounds now -- not a hiccup. :supergrin:

Haldor
03-30-2012, 18:40
So I guess this is right out then.

http://whatabong.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hand-gun-bong.jpg

Spoil-sport.

Rancher
03-30-2012, 20:13
Yup -- it's a 15-22MOE. It's a Tactical Innovations (local company) suppressor. Awesome and quiet. Tens of thousands of rounds now -- not a hiccup. :supergrin:

Ok. I have one (MOE) but my front sight looks a bit different than yours and a 10/22 was mentioned a few times.

Cheers.

Rancher

Folsom_Prison
03-30-2012, 20:40
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wFLzOqXR_O4/TsmETiR137I/AAAAAAAABmk/_ZjjHsEIDnc/s1131/xring.jpg

Nice 10-22, how do you like that ruger mag?

Denthead
03-30-2012, 20:45
I would give my left n$t to be able to mow, then relax and SHOOT in my own yard. I have to settle with bustin a 22lr pistol off the deck and runnin inside before the neighbors see who did it...:whistling:

USMCsilver
03-31-2012, 08:08
Nice 10-22, how do you like that ruger mag?

I wouldn't even call it a "10/22" anymore. I mean, from the factory, (Tactical Solutions) it is set up like a Ruger, and spec'd off a Ruger, but it sure as hell isn't a Ruger, ya know? The only thing Ruger on the gun is the trigger group. From what I've read, TacSol isn't making their own trigger groups in house yet.

Or, then again, guess you could call it a 10/22 just like you call any 1911-style pistol a 1911, no matter who made it. :)

I would give my left n$t to be able to mow, then relax and SHOOT in my own yard. I have to settle with bustin a 22lr pistol off the deck and runnin inside before the neighbors see who did it...:whistling:

LOL -- I do remember those days. Then, I got the suppressor and my 77/22 set-up which was virtually silent and I quit caring. I actually worried more about people SEEING me than hearing me. Ha!