Off duty qualifying [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Off duty qualifying

rich n
03-27-2012, 00:39
Mas, I will be qualifying with my off duty weapon (G30) for the first time, in a few months. One of the requirements is to shoot one handed in rapid fire with the target moving toward you. I'm right handed but left eye dominant and will also have to shoot left handed. I don't practice much one handed let alone with my opposite. Any suggestions on how I should train for this?

Mas Ayoob
03-27-2012, 13:01
Left handed only with a dominant left eye won't be tough at all. Normal vertical sight orientation. Make sure gun arm is locked out rigid, with upper body weight aggressively forward. Really firm grip; wherever you put your thumbs in a two-hand hold, you'll find that the thumb curled down Old Skool style will strengthen your grasp. Make a hard, palm-up fist with your other hand: it will sympathetically tighten the grasp of the firing hand. Do lots of dry fire beforehand, and as much live fire this way as you can; remember, trigger control is key, and the non-dominant hand usually isn't habituated to running a trigger.

Right handed only with dominant left eye: consider the slight inward cant developed by Bill McMillan more than half a century ago, adapted to combat shooting by Ray Chapman, and taught today as technique of choice by Clint Smith and many other top instructors. That is, when the gun is in your right hand, keep the right arm locked behind it and tilt it 15 to no more than 45 degrees to your left. This should bring the sights directly in line with your dominant left eye, and should also slightly strengthen your grasp.

(Might want to try that tilt when shooting lefty, too.)

Good luck. Feel free to come on back here when the time comes and let us all know how it worked out for you.

best,
Mas