03-27-2012, 08:27
Mother Seeks Trayvon Martin Trademarks

Records: Late teenager's kin filed pair of applications last week

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/trayvon-martin-trademarks-769123

Mom is getting paid! :upeyes:

_

Fred Hansen
03-27-2012, 08:32
Don, you know better... Hate da game not da playa!

stevelyn
03-27-2012, 08:41
What she gonna do start a Trayvon Martin hoodies line?

Deployment Solu
03-27-2012, 08:58
Disgusting. I don't see any mourning, just "Show Me Da Money!!

walt cowan
03-27-2012, 09:42
silly black folks.

Big Mad Dawg
03-27-2012, 09:50
I would suggest an action figure that comes with burglary tools and stolen property but remember kids you can’t take him within 500 feet of a school.

GWSHARK
03-27-2012, 10:02
Disgusting. I don't see any mourning, just "Show Me Da Money!!

silly black folks.

not in the mood to comment... but perhaps I will later.

Gundude
03-27-2012, 10:19
Is there a reason for two identically named, identically themed, current threads in the same forum?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411054

Big Mad Dawg
03-27-2012, 14:01
Is there a reason for two identically named, identically themed, current threads in the same forum?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411054

In case one get locked the other one can be trademarked in it memory and carry on.

DonGlock26
03-27-2012, 14:32
Don, you know better... Hate da game not da playa!

Cashing in.........

_

fx77
03-27-2012, 15:07
Yup that is the first thing I would do if my son were killed .....:)

Fred Hansen
03-27-2012, 15:14
Cashing in.........

_All about the Benjamins...

Gary W Trott
03-28-2012, 08:13
Could be the intention is to prevent others from using the name for their own purposes.

Big Mad Dawg
03-28-2012, 08:24
Could be the intention is to prevent others from using the name for their own purposes.

Sure that’s the story it’s not about greed on her part it’s all about preventing greed.

I am sure that if my daughter was killed or died the first thing my wife would do is trade mark her name in an attempt to prevent someone using her name. Martin’s mother has an interesting why of demonstrating her grief

Gary W Trott
03-28-2012, 08:36
Sure thatís the story itís not about greed on her part itís all about preventing greed.

I am sure that if my daughter was killed or died the first thing my wife would do is trade mark her name in an attempt to prevent someone using her name. Martinís mother has an interesting why of demonstrating her greif.
If your daughter's death was creating a major national controversy it would be the smart move to trademark her name. That way people could not just go around using her name on products or events without securing your wife's permission first. It prevents the deceased's name from being used for things that you and your wife would not approve of.

I'm just offering another motivation for doing the trademarking and not automatically jumping on the greed bandwagon like virtually all the other posters on this subject have done. Could be greed, could be what I'm saying here, could be a combination of the two, could be some other reason altogether. Fact is we don't know what her motivation is and for that reason I'm not ready to condemn a mother who just lost her son in a tragic incident.

Javelin
03-28-2012, 08:53
Never let a tragedy go to waste... circa ala "Hillary Clinton"

:wavey:

ChuteTheMall
03-28-2012, 10:09
Does this hoodie make my mustache look big?:cool:

http://i40.tinypic.com/69j5zl.png

Big Mad Dawg
03-28-2012, 10:25
If your daughter's death was creating a major national controversy it would be the smart move to trademark her name.

Well fortunately my daughter has never been suspended from school and not once had stolen property or burglar tools in her possession.

I am not too worried about having to trade mark her name.

Fred Hansen
03-28-2012, 11:17
Could be the intention is to prevent others from using the name for their own purposes.And butterfly farts could be the key to an unlimited source of alternative energy. :dunno:

plainsman
03-28-2012, 22:10
Or doda hoodies get a drug pass? I thought there was laws against drug dealing at schools? Must look good on job applications, majoring in drug dealing and dope smoking!!!

Big Mad Dawg
03-28-2012, 23:16
The baggy, burglary tools and stolen property were planted buy nonminority to make poor Martin appear to be a scum bag. This is all a big racist conspiracy.

Hyksos
03-29-2012, 05:16
When you file a trademark application you either have to assert 1) that you are currently using the mark in commerce; or 2) that you have a bona fide intent to use the mark within interstate commerce within 6 months.

Trademarks by definition involve commerce. Don't mistake this for a copyright where she just wants to copyright some slogans and prevent others from using them. This is an attempt to use those slogans in interstate commerce.

Even if she just wanted to prevent others from using them, she couldn't file a TM application without the bona fide intent to use it in commerce. Plus, anyone else who uses Trayvon's(tm) name is probably entitled to a fair use defense because his name is descriptive.

Fred Hansen
03-29-2012, 19:51
When you file a trademark application you either have to assert 1) that you are currently using the mark in commerce; or 2) that you have a bona fide intent to use the mark within interstate commerce within 6 months.

Trademarks by definition involve commerce. Don't mistake this for a copyright where she just wants to copyright some slogans and prevent others from using them. This is an attempt to use those slogans in interstate commerce.

Even if she just wanted to prevent others from using them, she couldn't file a TM application without the bona fide intent to use it in commerce. Plus, anyone else who uses Trayvon's(tm) name is probably entitled to a fair use defense because his name is descriptive.So when it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, it's still a duck.

Imagine my surprise.

I was kinda hoping that butterfly fart thing would've worked out too. Guess not. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hyksos
03-30-2012, 04:08
So when it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, it's still a duck.

Imagine my surprise.

I was kinda hoping that butterfly fart thing would've worked out too. Guess not. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, take a look for yourself.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/trayvon-trademark?page=0

If you look on the first page, the last full sentence above where it says "the applicant's current attorney information."

It says "The applicant has a bona fide intention to use or use through the applicant's related company or licensee the mark in commerce on or in connection with the identified goods and/or services. (15 U.S.C. ß1051(b)). (I thought i'd point out their attorneys are too lazy to even use the proper 'section' symbol - ß)

There you go though. The Lanham act by definition requires a bona fide intent, or proof of current use in commerce. That's how I knew this whole thing was a sham. It has nothing to do with protecting his name and everything to do with making money. Bottom line. It's a definition of trademarks and servicemarks. They're marks that are used either in trade, or in services.

maxsnafu
03-31-2012, 07:11
Did she sell any of his organs?

Cavalry Doc
03-31-2012, 07:25
A (tm) for T.M. ???

Glockdude1
03-31-2012, 07:28
Parents can't make money working a real job. Now they want to try and make money off their dead son???

:rofl: