disenchanted with the LC9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : disenchanted with the LC9

cowboywannabe
03-27-2012, 13:34
really tried to like this gun. nothing wrong with it mechanically or otherwise however, i just dont care for the magazine disconnector, the keyed disabling lock, the loaded chamber indicator the size of a tallship sail:shocked:, and the thumb safety is ok but not really needed on a DAO gun.

but, the gun said ruger on it so i paid $100.00 more for it than the KT PF9 which was what i wanted. the PF9 has none of the unpreferred by me "features" the LC9 has.

gun hasnt missed a beat in 250 rounds, but i find myself wondering "what if", the mag isnt seated for some reason and i need to fire it. "what if", the built in lock does something without the key and disables my gun when i need it. none of those are concerns with the PF9 and i really tried to "get over it" but just cant.

im going to be looking to trade this thing locally for a PF9.

anybody else have this dilema?

milje
03-27-2012, 17:01
None of those things bother me about my LC9. So far it has been flawless for me, and feels pretty good shooting.

To address one of your concerns, yesterday I was reading a topic about the Galloway trigger for the LC9 (undecided if I'll get it or not, most likely not), I was looking at their site and saw that they make a LCI delete, might be something to look into if it bothers you. And the mag disconnect is supposed to be pretty easy to remove also, I got all the way to it but didn't take it out.

http://www.gallowayprecision.com/lc9performanceparts.html

fwm
03-27-2012, 17:08
really tried to like this gun. nothing wrong with it mechanically or otherwise however, i just dont care for the magazine disconnector, the keyed disabling lock, the loaded chamber indicator the size of a tallship sail:shocked:, and the thumb safety is ok but not really needed on a DAO gun.

but, the gun said ruger on it so i paid $100.00 more for it than the KT PF9 which was what i wanted. the PF9 has none of the unpreferred by me "features" the LC9 has.

gun hasnt missed a beat in 250 rounds, but i find myself wondering "what if", the mag isnt seated for some reason and i need to fire it. "what if", the built in lock does something without the key and disables my gun when i need it. none of those are concerns with the PF9 and i really tried to "get over it" but just cant.

I suspect the things you don't like are there just to sell the gun in CA. Kel-Tec doesn't even try. With good reason.

MinervaDoe
03-27-2012, 17:41
anybody else have this dilemna?
No, but mine had a flyer once.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/Minervadoe/103111LC9-3.jpg

gordonfactor
03-27-2012, 23:39
Sorry to hear that you're not happy with your LC9. I've had mine since December and I'm totally happy with it. It sounds like you're displeased with a few features on it and not necessarily the performance. To each his own I guess. I live in MA so the features that are lamented are required to sell it here. As long it shoots well it serves it's purpose for me.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cowboywannabe
03-28-2012, 15:31
i wish they could have just made a scaled up version of their LCP (but lock breached).

alexanderg23
03-28-2012, 15:33
you can take the safety and mag safety off in 30 min and make it like a PF9..... google/youtube it. Super easy.

I was going to do that but just got a PF9 instead.

cowboywannabe
03-28-2012, 15:55
you can take the safety and mag safety off in 30 min and make it like a PF9..... google/youtube it. Super easy.

I was going to do that but just got a PF9 instead.

saw that, thank you. now how do you disable the keyed lock?

chandne
03-28-2012, 20:30
Yeah, I sold mine and bought a CW9...much better trigger, better built, better grip.

Narkcop
03-30-2012, 20:27
I traded my LC9 off primarily because of the HUGE loaded chamber indicator. I hated that LCI.:steamed:

Make one WITHOUT all that California BS and I'll buy it.

G27Chief
04-01-2012, 16:35
Mine was a gift, and I carry it daily, both as a on duty BUG and off duty primary. Got just under 1000 rounds downrange and I am very pleased with it. I dislike the superfluous safety items, however the fit and function balance the scales. I would have preferred a Kahr, however financially I will run with the Ruger.

AA#5
04-01-2012, 17:46

I'm with you. I'd never own a defensive gun with a lock. Major fail, IMO.

seed
04-01-2012, 20:22
I live in Kalifornia and seek out guns that are not Californicated. People can get them after cops sell them or if someone brings one over with them when they move here from another state. And then there is the single shot conversion path.

The point is that I too hate all the stupid so-called safety features which in my opinion actually make guns less safe (especially mag-disconnects in striker-fired guns) and less reliable (i.e. the LCI in Steyrs). And then I just hate how they make a gun look like a monstrosity, like the LC9. I don't need, nor want all this crap on it and so the LC9 does not appeal to me at all.

Pecos Bill
04-10-2012, 08:11
I have an PF9 to trade but I don't know where E-space is.

Bill Keith
04-27-2012, 08:32
Sounds like your in the market for a J Frame:faint:

TSAX
04-27-2012, 09:46
Time for a M&P Shield :whistling:

:50cal:

Chesafreak
04-27-2012, 10:09
I think it would be a bad idea (think prosecutor and jury) to disable or remove safety features. If you don't like them, sell it and get the PF9.

I personally like the LC9's safety features. I guess its all a matter of tastes.

What if the mag isn't seated and it won't fire? How about what if you are trying to fight off someone who has a hold on your pistol and is trying to take it from you? Hit the mag release and they have a paperweight.

I have a Glock that I sometimes carry. I like that it doesn't have any external safetys to deal with. I can only carry it comfortably anywhere between 3:30 and 6:00. The LC9 is so much more concealable at appendix IWB. I can't carry my Glock 23 AIWB because it jabs into me, but if I could I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a Glock pointed at my junk.

cowboywannabe
04-28-2012, 14:31
I think it would be a bad idea (think prosecutor and jury) to disable or remove safety features. If you don't like them, sell it and get the PF9.

I personally like the LC9's safety features. I guess its all a matter of tastes.

What if the mag isn't seated and it won't fire? How about what if you are trying to fight off someone who has a hold on your pistol and is trying to take it from you? Hit the mag release and they have a paperweight.

I have a Glock that I sometimes carry. I like that it doesn't have any external safetys to deal with. I can only carry it comfortably anywhere between 3:30 and 6:00. The LC9 is so much more concealable at appendix IWB. I can't carry my Glock 23 AIWB because it jabs into me, but if I could I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a Glock pointed at my junk.

ive heard plenty of that before, but have yet to read proof where a "good shoot" got the guy in trouble for altering his gun. i might try to swap it out at the LGS.

G27Chief
04-29-2012, 02:57
ive heard plenty of that before, but have yet to read proof where a "good shoot" got the guy in trouble for altering his gun. i might try to swap it out at the LGS.

Time and work in has not diminished your heebee jeebes with the LC9? I love mine trigger is so much better after 500 rounds. Qualified with it (borrowed 4 mags) on the GDAC last month with a 286.

4949shooter
04-29-2012, 04:12
I shot a friend's LC9 and thought it was a damn good shooter. But I agree, I didn't like the extra features.

Ruger had a good thing going with the LCP. I don't understand why they changed the concept with the LC9.

sigman69
04-29-2012, 04:55
The PF9 I shot had such a terrible trigger, and was ammo sensitive that I would skip it and get a CW9 or a Beretta Nano, YMMV though.

cowboywannabe
04-29-2012, 06:02
Chief, like your gun mine is a real shooter. i havent had it stumble once in any way. i guess i have a phobia about gun malfunctions....thats why my gen 3 S&W have their mag disconnectors removed, im anal about my guns being clean.....and none of my S&W wheelies have a lock on them.

the LC9 is a good gun from all practical accounts in my book, i just dont care for the "safety" features. the thumb safety i can handle as its no different than a 1911 for muscle memory if you even engage it.

im really trying to warm up to this gun so it can be more than a walking around the yard gun. ive seen an easy to install laser light that mounts on the side and is very compact......no special holsters needed once installed.....but before i buy it i want to be sure im going to keep this gun.