Getting back into reloading - powder and bullet shape questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into reloading - powder and bullet shape questions

Sheepdog689
03-27-2012, 19:09
I haven't reloaded in probably 20+ years, but with the price of ammo I'm jumping back into the game.

I've reloaded .38, .357 and 9mm in the past and now I'm going to start reloading .45GAP. I've got a Lee Turret press (Classic) on the way.

My questions are related to powder choices and bullet shape choices.

I used to reload with Bullseye. Is that still a good all around go to powder for .38/9mm and now .45GAP? Are the IMR powders any better and if so, what ones work good for pistol ammo?

Will semiwadcutter shaped bullets (fully jacketed) feed in a Glock or should I stick with round nose bullets?

Another question I just thought of.....what's the shelf life of primers and powder. Will factory sealed cans/containers of powder still be usable for a couple years if not opened? What about long term primer storage? Sealed in a plastic bag with moisture absorbers?

Thanks

Colorado4Wheel
03-27-2012, 19:13
Glocks don't like SWC's

jknight8907
03-27-2012, 19:21
My Glock eats swc no problem, but you can see how it could potentially cause issues. Sharp angles are generally a poor idea for smooth feeding. Better to buy LRN bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Sheepdog689
03-27-2012, 19:25
Thanks guys....iksnay on the SWC's!

robin303
03-27-2012, 19:33
You should be good to go on the primers and powder. If the powder is bad you can smell it.

fredj338
03-27-2012, 22:11
Powder & primers last for decades stored properly; cool & dry.
The GAP is one round I do not load for, but it's a 45 & will respond well to any powder from BE to PowerPIstol.

sourdough44
03-28-2012, 03:50
I used to use Bullseye powder, now my faster handgun powder choice is Titegroup. For all around handgun powder, H Universal covers a lot of bases. If you look through a few manuals some powders are mentioned over & over, good choices for the most part.