survival defense tactics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : survival defense tactics

uscgamecock
03-27-2012, 20:27
I couldn't decide if this was the right forum or not, I hope it is.

In a bug in situation we talk a lot about having guns and ammo and I agree and do. One thing that I wonder is when SHTF what are some defensive tactics that can be used to help fortify, defend, and protect?

I understand fences, cameras, dogs, locks, guns. I'm talking bullets are flying and you are returning fire from your home.

I am ignorant to military or guerilla style tactics to be completely honest. I am looking to take a class this summer.

This came to mind while surfing youtube this afternoon and I noticed the tremendous amount of suppressive fire that the military uses to defend a position.

Is suppressive fire the best way to stop someone? I currently have 1000 rounds of: 7.62, .45, and .40. I also have 500 12 ga., around 200 .308, and around 5000 .22. I am looking to build on that. All my ammo added together couldn't hold a small organized group off for very long.

Ok, now I'm just rambling.....any suggestions appreciated. (Please be gentle)

Climbhard
03-27-2012, 22:11
Blast off and nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

Naelbis
03-27-2012, 22:40
Your best defense is to not get in a firefight in the first place. Anyone determined enough to make an assault against a defended location will probably overwhelm your limited defense if you don't have multiple shooters. Given the poor materials used these days to construct homes, the best your house can be is concealment since rifle rounds will punch through multiple walls.

RedHaze
03-28-2012, 01:21
Dirt. Add it to sand bags. Stack them. Stay behind them.

Suppressive fire works if you have lots of ammo, and lots of friends.
Without lots of ammo and lots of friends, it's shoot and scoot. You don't stay around to fight, because it's a loose loose. First you run out of ammo, then you die.

kirgi08
03-28-2012, 04:03
I couldn't decide if this was the right forum or not, I hope it is.

In a bug in situation we talk a lot about having guns and ammo and I agree and do. One thing that I wonder is when SHTF what are some defensive tactics that can be used to help fortify, defend, and protect?

I understand fences, cameras, dogs, locks, guns. I'm talking bullets are flying and you are returning fire from your home.

I am ignorant to military or guerilla style tactics to be completely honest. I am looking to take a class this summer.

This came to mind while surfing youtube this afternoon and I noticed the tremendous amount of suppressive fire that the military uses to defend a position.

Is suppressive fire the best way to stop someone? I currently have 1000 rounds of: 7.62, .45, and .40. I also have 500 12 ga., around 200 .308, and around 5000 .22. I am looking to build on that. All my ammo added together couldn't hold a small organized group off for very long.

Ok, now I'm just rambling.....any suggestions appreciated. (Please be gentle)

IMHO,if your in a firefight it's already FUBAR,stay or go.The point being is that if they are at your "front" door,it's gone real bad fer ya.

Blast off and nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

That was helpful. :upeyes:

Your best defense is to not get in a firefight in the first place. Anyone determined enough to make an assault against a defended location will probably overwhelm your limited defense if you don't have multiple shooters. Given the poor materials used these days to construct homes, the best your house can be is concealment since rifle rounds will punch through multiple walls.

You havta decide whether or not the cost is worth it.You can harden your home,ta what avail?. My personal belief is that if your taking rounds,it's gonna be a bad day.

Dirt. Add it to sand bags. Stack them. Stay behind them.

I disagree with the last stand scenario,I prefer a nice cozy/IE PRIVATE retreat.

Suppressive fire works if you have lots of ammo, and lots of friends.
Without lots of ammo and lots of friends, it's shoot and scoot. You don't stay around to fight, because it's a loose loose. First you run out of ammo, then you die.

Yep,pretty much.A G.O.O.D plan is something youse might wanta look inta.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
03-28-2012, 04:15
Cover and concealment when possible.

racerford
03-28-2012, 08:47

I agree the best thing to do is avoid a fight. The likelihood a random will be storming your home only is low, unless you have ticked someone off. If they are ransacking himes in general, you will likely hear them coming. The defense to is to pick them off from a distance before they can see you. It helps a lot to have multiple shooters.

Surpressive fire is not the answer unless you have tens of thousands of rounds availble to you. You don't want to supress them until the artillery or aerial support gets them, because that is not coming. You want to kill them, one shot one kill, not fire blindly.

Most houses are just concealment. Get one that is not. They will be surprised when they find out my house is cover, and not concealment when the return fire comes. I am covered through .50 BMG. I hope they don't bring something heavier:wow:

uscgamecock
03-28-2012, 09:57
Thanks for all of the responses, I really appreciate it. I agree that not fighting is the best avenue to take if at all possible.

I guess I realized yesterday that I had some weapons but no plan on how I would use them other than a break in type scenario. My wife, bro in law, and my sister would all be possible shooters. (We are neighbors). Its easy to know how to use my cwp weapon. Pull the trigger until the threat stops. This is a little more tricky.

I'm decent out to about 400 yds with my a bolt from hunting the last 20 years but where I live is rural and heavily wooded. I think that my best course of action is to leave and fight another day overall. Thanks again.

I guess I got the start of a plan at least.

Edit: Race, how have you fortified your home? I've seen vids where people have added stones/sand in between walls of sheetrock to help stop small arms. Is this the type thing you have done? Sandbags are a solution as stated above, just curious what other ideas are out there.

jason10mm
03-28-2012, 11:14
While you can certainly strengthen your existing home make sure you pay attention to the building codes in your area. Not only do you have to consider resale but you don't want to get your dwelling condemned. Remember that even as concealment your house is BIG. It is pretty difficult to just blast away at it and have any reasonable expectation of hitting anyone.

There is film you can add to windows to make them more break resistant (won't make them bulletproof, but will slow invaders). A brick home is better than wood/siding. Big panoramic windows running floor to ceiling across an entire wall make that room a big weak point. Glass sliding doors are a weak point.

Not really a whole lot you can do to an existing home. You can pre-cut plywood to cover windows (leave vision slits!) and I guess try to reinforce exterior walls, not sure drywall would stand up to sand being dumped behind it, you may also have insulation there already.

Best bet is to be able to conceal the entire HOUSE so no one goes there. Can you plant trees and bushes to limit visbility from the road? Are you way back on a driveway you can conceal? Can you hide the whole neighborhood?

If you get the chance to design and build your hown home then the sky is the limit. Elevate the ground floor so all the windows are several feet off the ground and hard to get into, build with brick and stone or that concrete stuff, keep windows narrow, design them so you can have overwatch over each side of the house and each entrance.

racerford
03-28-2012, 11:52
Edit: Race, how have you fortified your home? I've seen vids where people have added stones/sand in between walls of sheetrock to help stop small arms. Is this the type thing you have done? Sandbags are a solution as stated above, just curious what other ideas are out there.

I had the home built. It was not a retrofit. I have Insulating Concrete Form exterior walls. They are 6" steel reinforced high PSI monolithically poured concrete with 2.5" of foam on both sides. I think there are systems available for walls up to 24" of concrete. I could not afford that much:supergrin: That said I have over 300 yards of concrete in my home.

The house is very energy efficient, which was the primary reason for ICF. That and tornados.

inzone
03-28-2012, 13:46
its not nec hopeless to have to defend in place, especially if you have several shooters who can help defend. old fashioned sand bags (or you can just double up grabage bags and fill them with dirt or sand, etc) cinder blocks, etc. work just fine. Create a redoubt where you can more easily defend from and are better protected.also consider having a big roll of barbed wire stored in your garage ( i do!) which can be used to rig up a concertina like wire barricade or several. heavy furniture can also be moved around to bolster a redoubt inside your house. you want escape exit in case the attackers try to burn you out and you have to plan for possible vehicles ramming into your house, etc. you can also use spare vehicles to block off areas as well. think through and visualize all the diff. permutations and then make a drawing and have the supplies you need on hand ahead of time. stash them in your garage or utility shed.

good idea to acquire inexpensive mil surp bolt guns and extra shotguns and spam cans of ammo to possibly arm extra family, friends, neighbors who you can have congregate at your place for security. most likely scenario i think is looters and a few better organized and armed gangs of thugs...but they will be opportunistic predators and if you can put some heavy fire down on em at the git go I bet they will just decide to move on to the many, of easy picking targets , of which most targets will be.

also stick up on buckets of beans and rice and make sure you have a potable water source. its a four legged table and any weak leg will make the table wobbly. there are many good articles on this on the internet.

uscgamecock
03-28-2012, 15:24
Thanks for the help guys. I do have more long guns. Including a .243 bolt mult 870's in 12 ga. and a 20 ga. Just didn't list them earlier. My bro in law has 8-10 also. I don't think the number of weapons I have access to is a problem right now, its finding enough shoulders and ammo. Although I would like to add a couple 223's to the arsonal.

I do like the barbed wire idea. We have approx 5 acres that could be wired in fairly easily. I think I'm gonna at least get some sand bags now and barbed wire in the near future. I have enough food/water right now for approx 2 months and I am working on getting that number up to around 6 months over time. That doesn't include my "everyday food" which is separate but rotated from my stored food as the items with long shelf life run low in the cabinet.

Inzone, you brought up some interesting points thank you. I could see a band of misfits trying to "hit a house" to see how much resistance they are met with and if they are comfortable with the risk pushing forward. If not they move on to the next house.

I do realize that the odds of this happening are slim to none but its something that could be very important one day. I also believe that retreat is the most safe thing to do but it isn't a bad idea to be able to try and hold your ground in certain situations. Thanks to everyone for taking it seriously. Any more suggestions appreciated.

Happypuppy
03-28-2012, 16:09
Vietnam era and I don't know if they still teach it but trip wire at different levels was very effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jtull7
03-28-2012, 17:27
If it were me, I would place tin cans on string around my house to keep the invading hordes at bay.

I am positive that the local motorcycle gangs, as well as the homie gangstas, have already done surveillance on your home and are just waiting for SHTF to make their move. In my opinion, you must have Suppressive Fire or you are toast.