Blocked and Guarded Roadways? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blocked and Guarded Roadways?

flynnstone
03-28-2012, 16:23
I've heard from several reliable sources within LE and the National Guard, that should some sort of major event take place, the major roadways out of the cities will be blocked and guarded within 90 minutes. Supposedly, routine exercises are held to meet this timeline.

Anyone else heard of this?

Dexters
03-28-2012, 16:26
What did the reliable source say when you asked him/her as to why they would want to do that?

flynnstone
03-28-2012, 16:35
What did the reliable source say when you asked him/her as to why they would want to do that?

In order to keep the general population controlled within specific areas, and so that militia/other groups cannot form outside of the cities.

bug
03-28-2012, 16:35
I've heard from several reliable sources within LE and the National Guard, that should some sort of major event take place, the major roadways out of the cities will be blocked and guarded within 90 minutes. Supposedly, routine exercises are held to meet this timeline.

Where are they going to get the manpower in a event like that?

Even a small city like Akron Ohio near my home would be a nightmare to close off all the major roads in and out of it....

It would likely take the entire APD shift that on duty to pull that off and i am willing to bet they will be busy with other things.

Dexters
03-28-2012, 16:44
In order to keep the general population controlled within specific areas,

That is what closing the roadways would do, it isn't the why. Why would they want to do it?

and so that militia/other groups cannot form outside of the cities.

Is the above the only purpose you were given by your sources?

cyrsequipment
03-28-2012, 16:45
You need better sources. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do you have any idea how many roads go in and out of even the tiniest city. It would take an entire army to secure one town, and then they would ignore any city around it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

smokeross
03-28-2012, 16:52
I'm going to dig up the road to my 'compound' with heavy equipment to keep those guys OUT.

flynnstone
03-28-2012, 16:52
I didnt sit down and question all of the reasons why this would be done, i'm simply passing along what ive heard and asked if anyone else has heard of this.

Sure, those who are prepared can plan alternate routes out of town, but the majority of people in this country are not prepared.

Use Phoenix AZ as an example. Those who are trying to get out of town are going to leverage 4-5 of the most widely driven highways, not the unpaved roads.

Dexters
03-28-2012, 17:06
You need better sources. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do you have any idea how many roads go in and out of even the tiniest city. It would take an entire army to secure one town, and then they would ignore any city around it.

Let's give Flynnstone a chance. We might be able to learn something from him.

Have you ever seen the movie 'The Crazies'? Rumor has it that it is based on a true event that happened in the '40's or 50s. The government did surround that town. Reliable sources say it happened in Florida somewhere between Exit 193 (Yeehaw Junction) to Exit 242 (Kissimmee/St.Cloud) on the Fla. Turnpike, it is 48.9 miles between exits - the longest stretch of highway between exists in the USA!

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-28-2012, 17:07
Lets take the Atlanta metro area..

Over 5.5 MILLION people, in an area the size of Delaware.. with THOUSANDS of roads in and out..

To effectively operate 1 roadblock in a metro area, you need 3 squads, or about 21 troops and equipment. So lets just say.. 3000 roads. I am sure it's way more than that.. but we will use that.. So that's 63,000 troops pulling roadblock duty and those guys and gals all need logistic support.. That runs about 3 troops per deployed troop..

Or 189,000 additional troops So we have 250k troops holding things down in Atlanta..

How big is our armed forces?

And we have how many cities???

RWBlue
03-28-2012, 17:08

Define major event?

If I were a betting person, when they say major event they are talking about an Oklahoma City bombing event. Where they have some clue as to who they want to capture.

The idea of bottling up even a small city would be nearly impossible and generally stupid. Lets assume that there is an NBC attack, are the police equipped to stand their ground? No. Will they want to protect their families? Yes.

Trust me, it ain't gonna happen for an NBC attack. Now a terrorist bombing.....yea...and they will be doing amber alerts.

Dexters
03-28-2012, 17:11
I didnt sit down and question all of the reasons why this would be done, i'm simply passing along what ive heard and asked if anyone else has heard of this.

I can understand that with the first source. But, I think after thinking about it you would ask the next of the 'several' sources you spoke with.

What did they tell you - don't hold back - we can handle it.

Sam Spade
03-28-2012, 18:00

Either your leg has been pulled or they're on crack.

First, ask yourself if you've ever seen one of these exercises around any major city you're familiar with.

Second, I can't even get a local SWAT team out of their jammies and into briefing on a callout in under 2 hours. Recalling a roster of NG troops (who have regular jobs, and may live some distance from the flagpole), equipping them, briefing them and deploying them from the armories to encircle (insert city of your choice) in 90 minutes? It is to laugh. Compare to the 82nd Airborne's Ready Brigade, which takes 18 hours to go wheels-up, with their stuff already packaged and their troops on standby with no outside commitments.

But anyway, you can now recalibrate your "reliable" list.

beatcop
03-28-2012, 18:19
Can't say that I have heard from either source. There are diversion plans in the event of Nuke reactor issues, etc, but nothing of which you speak. I suspect you will need new pants...one leg has been pulled.

bdcochran
03-28-2012, 18:23
you can now recalibrate your "reliable" list

A big plus one.

dissthis
03-28-2012, 19:50
And where would they set up the road blocks? At the city limit? Using the Atl example above; since I live just outside of Atl....would they keep everyone contained in the city? The further out they would need expentaly more people.

If they kept the people that live in the city there and let the people that work there and live in the burs out that would be ok by me!

cowboy1964
03-28-2012, 19:53
Depends on the situation. No one thinks the Gov has plans drawn up to seal off an area in the event of a biological, chemical, or nuclear event, for example? Of course they do.

"90 minutes" is debateable though. Too many variables to make such an exact statement.

78tsubaki
03-28-2012, 19:54
I'm going to dig up the road to my 'compound' with heavy equipment to keep those guys OUT.
yup, already thought about this too.

4Rules
03-28-2012, 19:55

Well, it was a movie, actually. A movie called: The Next Three Days.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAzMjk4NjI4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ4OTEwNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3525150208/tt1458175)
It stars Russell_Crowe and Elizabeth_Banks.

lawman800
03-28-2012, 22:09
Very doubtful they can contain Los Angeles... with all the roads and freeways. They might get some roads and major thoroughfares but the cities are so close, where do you draw the line?

ChuteTheMall
03-28-2012, 22:32
I've seen police cars stationed at every exit ramp on I-395 inside the Beltway, between Springfield VA and the Pentagon, about 10 miles.

Different jurisdictions included Pentagon Police, Arlington Police, Alexandria Police, Fairfax County Police, Virginia State Troopers.

I don't know if the situation continued into DC, or outside of the Beltway. I don't know if it was an emergency, or a drill, or just Obama's 50 car caravan returning from a golf course.

But I do know that it wouldn't take much to freeze most of the traffic on most of the major roads within 20 miles of the White House, especially on a Friday afternoon. Two inches of snow also does it.

bdcochran
03-28-2012, 22:48
I don't know if the situation continued into DC, or outside of the Beltway. I don't know if it was an emergency, or a drill, or just Obama's 50 car caravan returning from a golf course.

It was to keep the insanity within the beltway and protect America from the government.:rofl:

Babynine
03-28-2012, 23:43
A few years ago they added gates that can be lowered by police with a hand crank at all Interstate on ramps around here. It is for snowstorms of course, but they can shut down access to the Interstate in minutes. They also have signs marked "Blue Route" as a detour to the interstate if it is closed for emergency.

I imagine they can lock down a city pretty well. But as scary as that is, having that plan in place is probally more responsible than not having that paln in place.

TangoFoxtrot
03-29-2012, 04:15

Nope. My son in law was in the National Gaurd and never heard of such a plan. If this is true it would just be a federal plan on paper.

domin8ss
03-29-2012, 05:41
For cities that have geographical restrictions such as mountains I can see how it could be done. Take Salt Lake City as an example. They have 6 highways and maybe 10 roads max to get out of the area. Using the magic number of 21, that's just over 300 people needed to lock in/out the population. However, the question of why still doesn't make sense. The NG would have a huge bullseye on them.

Bren
03-29-2012, 05:45

No. Think about it - do you not have friends in the National Guard? No, they don't practice blocking off the exits to cities.

Bilbo Bagins
03-29-2012, 09:15

Yep I hear of it. We are actually on standby right now. Orders came down last night, the operation is suppose to start 4/1/12. Kill any civilans trying to escape.

:whistling:

Anyhow, like others have said its almost impossible to do in most US cities. New York City is always a good example of a city that can be easy to contain because its a bunch of islands and a thin peninsula. Block off the dozen or so tunnels and bridges, and create a defensive border somewhere in the bronx and you basically contain about 10 million people. Everyone from Harlem down to lower Manhatten, and everyone in Long Island. There is still the problem of guarding that huge amount of coastline, anyone with a boat can still escape.

The problem is its not so easy in most modern US cities, there are none completely surrounded by good natural barriers, and most cities are huge with tons of ways to get in and out.

Everyone talks about Sarajevo, but honestly Sarajevo is small compared to most US cities, and its the city limits population is only 300,000. That city is an intersection of two major roads, so you have a small city surrounded by mountains and only 4 major roads coming in and out.

You also need a lot of men to pull off a seige. You need a cold war sized military to even attempt it. Figure just the Nazi numbers just to start the seige of Lennigrad would be a force the size of the entire US active regular Army today. Sure you could secure one major US city with 300,000 troops and thousand of pieces of equipment, but when you are talking about 10 US cities with a population of over 1 million and another 22 with a population between 500,000 and 1 million, you would need around 9 million troops and hundreds of thousands of tanks, trucks, UAV drones, etc. You will also need trillions of dollars if you plan to do it for more then a few days, and a steady supply of fresh troops when the people decide to fight back.

Its tin foil talk, the logistics, resources and money to do it is simply not there.

RWBlue
03-29-2012, 09:18
I've seen police cars stationed at every exit ramp on I-395 inside the Beltway, between Springfield VA and the Pentagon, about 10 miles.

Different jurisdictions included Pentagon Police, Arlington Police, Alexandria Police, Fairfax County Police, Virginia State Troopers.

But I do know that it wouldn't take much to freeze most of the traffic on most of the major roads within 20 miles of the White House, especially on a Friday afternoon. Two inches of snow also does it.

The time I know of, it was not Obama. It was a different diplomatic caravan.

IMHO, it would have been much easier to just block the HOV lanes, but ......

John Rambo
03-29-2012, 09:37
Let's give Flynnstone a chance. We might be able to learn something from him.

Have you ever seen the movie 'The Crazies'? Rumor has it that it is based on a true event that happened in the '40's or 50s. The government did surround that town. Reliable sources say it happened in Florida somewhere between Exit 193 (Yeehaw Junction) to Exit 242 (Kissimmee/St.Cloud) on the Fla. Turnpike, it is 48.9 miles between exits - the longest stretch of highway between exists in the USA!

Any idea what city? Theres absolutely nothing at Yeehaw Junction in the way of a 'town' in 2012, I can only imagine in the 40s/50s.

For future reference, if you drive through Yeehaw Junction, you're required to take a picture and post it somewhere with the caption YEEHAW! Facebook, Glocktalk, wherever. But its the law.

bdcochran
03-29-2012, 12:28
Yep, the rumor is true.
The cities will be closed to protect the urbanites from the rural dwellers and protect the rural dwellers from the urbanites.

It is part of the government's experiment to lead to a conclusion of whether rural survival or urban survival is more practical.

Past starvation of rural Ukranian peasants in the 1930s when there were bolt action rifles, unpaved roads, untrained soldiers has been compared to the starvation of Athens in World War II when crack German troops were able to kill 300,000 by withholding food.

On a serious note, it doesn't matter when shtf. You are on your own.

The problem with the philosophical threads on this forum is that they deny the reality of the depths of cruelty capable by men in any society. Take Wake Island. Read what happened to the 400 plus civilian engineers on the island that the Japanese kept after its fall. They were all executed in one day except one poor guy who hid out for a few days. He indicated where the bodies were buried, was captured and had his head cut off.

So in a world of that reality, what difference does it make whether cities can be contained or not? It doesn't.

Rural vs. urban, do you steal food from people. Come on, describe the skills you think are necessary and the performance of equipment you have tested.:faint:

Dexters
03-29-2012, 12:41
Any idea what city? Theres absolutely nothing at Yeehaw Junction in the way of a 'town' in 2012, I can only imagine in the 40s/50s.

For future reference, if you drive through Yeehaw Junction, you're required to take a picture and post it somewhere with the caption YEEHAW! Facebook, Glocktalk, wherever. But its the law.

Well since, BDCochran went all reasonable and such; I'll fess up - I made it up.

But, it sounded good. Didn't it?

I think the OP made up his story also.

B.Reid
03-29-2012, 13:45

This is assuming that LE and NG wont be home guarding their families. You people in the big cities are toast in a major emergency either way.

TangoFoxtrot
03-30-2012, 05:07
Your right Reid...TOAST! I live just outside a smaller city a bit isolated, but with an escape route up a mountain with plenty of roads to get out of dodge. The thugs would have to withstand some resistance while coming into our community first. As far as the NG they would be with their families and the city police are useless, due to their lack of leadership and the mayor would be getting loaded in the local tavern. So its every armed citizen for himself.

MoneyMaker
03-30-2012, 05:25
Either your leg has been pulled or they're on crack.

First, ask yourself if you've ever seen one of these exercises around any major city you're familiar with.

Second, I can't even get a local SWAT team out of their jammies and into briefing on a callout in under 2 hours. Recalling a roster of NG troops (who have regular jobs, and may live some distance from the flagpole), equipping them, briefing them and deploying them from the armories to encircle (insert city of your choice) in 90 minutes? It is to laugh. Compare to the 82nd Airborne's Ready Brigade, which takes 18 hours to go wheels-up, with their stuff already packaged and their troops on standby with no outside commitments.

But anyway, you can now recalibrate your "reliable" list.

Sam how do you know this person is on CRACK?Have you investigated this person and done a drug test on this individual?Pretty large statement coming from one like yourself without 1st hand facts!!

cyrsequipment
03-30-2012, 05:44
Sam how do you know this person is on CRACK?Have you investigated this person and done a drug test on this individual?Pretty large statement coming from one like yourself without 1st hand facts!!

:upeyes:

Ah, the moral crusader rides again.

The only cliche' statement that you didn't use in your little rant was "Hate Speech"...

I'll assume that you live under a rock and missed the fact that what Sam said is a commonly used figure of speech, sheesh.

beatcop
03-30-2012, 05:51
Do not need road blocks...just jack up a cruiser like it has a flat tire and the subsequent accidents will cause gridlock for the rest of the day...no joke!

I have thought about "bugging out", but the hwy turns into a parking lot whenever DOT takes a lane for tree trimming, line painting, mowing, etc. We cannot clear rush hour, let alone a mass exodus.

Gotta laugh...People have an exagerated expectation of LE ability sometimes.

MoneyMaker
03-30-2012, 05:52
:upeyes:

Ah, the moral crusader rides again.

The only cliche' statement that you didn't use in your little rant was "Hate Speech"...

I'll assume that you live under a rock and missed the fact that what Sam said is a commonly used figure of speech, sheesh.

Yes but if i stated they was crackheads all of you Lemmings would have jumped all over me when either RussP or Sam decided to throw me under the bus

cyrsequipment
03-30-2012, 06:05
Yes but if i stated they was crackheads all of you Lemmings would have jumped all over me when either RussP or Sam decided to throw me under the bus

:dunno:

What the heck are you talkin about?

Who is the "they" you are referring to?

cyrsequipment
03-30-2012, 06:07
Gotta laugh...People have an exagerated expectation of LE ability sometimes.

True, but the ignorance of the general populace on that particular matter has worked out in my favor many times...

racerford
03-30-2012, 08:25

The difference is SamSpade has established himself as making well reasoned posts.

He also was using a figure of speech to make a point. He does not believe they were on crack, as any intelligent, loogical person can read that Sam believes the person was pulling the OP's leg. By the way, that is also a figure of speech, he doesn't believe they were acuallypulling on the OP's leg, but rather making an outlandish or ill-informed statement not based on facts.

Also, I see you also used a figure of speech that you did not mean literally. Or are you accusing that Sam or Russ would travel to your unknown location and bodily pick you up and throw you under a bus? If so you have made a very strong accusation:wow:

lawman800
03-30-2012, 09:20
Do not need road blocks...just jack up a cruiser like it has a flat tire and the subsequent accidents will cause gridlock for the rest of the day...no joke!

In SoCal, just spill a cup of water on the freeway. Everyone will slow down to 5mph and swerve everywhere to avoid the water, causing numerous accidents and such.

Kieller
03-30-2012, 11:13

No, not that in particular. However, the interstate system in the US will come under military jurisdiction if an event ever took place. It's primary role is for defense. Civies get to drive on it because the military doesn't need it at the moment.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

Completely blockading every major city in the US would require more manpower than you can imagine. A specific city? Possibly, but 90 minutes is not long enough to completely close it off IMHO.

beatcop
03-30-2012, 12:25
Ok, what ever happened to the "secret" numbers on the back of signs that were supposed to be for the NATO troops when they occupy?

Ok, my whole LE force will be dispatched to every ramp, etc....ok, when will I have time to go door to door to collect the guns?

B.Reid
03-30-2012, 12:48
Ok, what ever happened to the "secret" numbers on the back of signs that were supposed to be for the NATO troops when they occupy?

Ok, my whole LE force will be dispatched to every ramp, etc....ok, when will I have time to go door to door to collect the guns?

Be careful collecting guns, you may only get the bullets! :rofl:

Hailstorm
03-30-2012, 13:56
All they need to do is park a semi in the way and your done.

But, really. If you start seeing this happening. All heck is gonna break loose. You either are gonna be fast to get otu of dodge or you better lay low.

I know back in the early 90's. The name of the group who shall remain unsaid. Basically, we had a contact point that would take us about a day to get to on foot. We had supplies in a trailer. At that time we would set up missions or lay low.

Now, I am just to old to run on foot.

Bren
03-30-2012, 14:02
Be careful collecting guns, you may only get the bullets! :rofl:

Then you must live in a different country than me, because here in America, most people would stand in line all day to turn in their guns if the government talked mean to them.

oldman11
03-30-2012, 14:37
If they keep the city locked up that makes it easier to the government people to get away and hide.

Paul53
03-30-2012, 19:28
In case of an "event" seems like a dumb use for troops, IMHO.

glockaviator
03-31-2012, 11:02
The local police are blocking off roads in Colorado right now due to the North Fork Fire. A big deal for people who live there, but no big deal for everyone else. The roads will re-open as soon as possible (they open them up for the people who live there first).

beatcop
03-31-2012, 15:34
Be careful collecting guns, you may only get the bullets!

copyright: Red Dawn 1984

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/jodlpeiper/red_dawn02.png

ICARRY2
03-31-2012, 17:45
Use Phoenix AZ as an example. Those who are trying to get out of town are going to leverage 4-5 of the most widely driven highways, not the unpaved roads.

Seriously? You could drive a minivan across most of the open desert in phx in order to bypass any roadblock.

FireForged
03-31-2012, 18:08
major event? thats a little broad. purhaps if they were trying to contain an outbreak.

gh0st614
03-31-2012, 20:07

I dunno in alot of situations where they would want to 'quarantine' a city I think they would have no problem blocking the entrances and exits. But you would just get off the road and travel in small groups and you should have no problems leaving, if there was a reason they did quarantine a whole city Im sure they would be flying tons of UAV's and choppers and the whole lot in the airspace looking for people getting out. The only thing I can think of is some insane crazy virus. I cant think of any other reason to 'quarantine' a city. If it was a teotwawki situation there is no way they could block off every city. Just not possible and I dont think our military would honor those orders anyways.

Warp
03-31-2012, 20:52
A complete quarantine of a large city would be astronomically difficult. And it would take more time and resources than I can imagine.

A severe restriction in inflow/outflow would be possible especially if there was a perimeter interstate to set up on. But it would take time...WAY more than 90 minutes...and a lot of resources. And it would have holes.

TactiCool
04-01-2012, 00:24
I hope you guys haven't forgotten about Danziger Bridge. There's quite a bit to be learned about what happened there.

Javelin
04-01-2012, 00:30
Nope. My son in law was in the National Gaurd and never heard of such a plan. If this is true it would just be a federal plan on paper.

National Guard is not responsible for it.

You see at any given time there is a quick reaction force (active duty) ready to go anywhere in the United States.

That means engines on the planes rolling, pallets of all required gear, and an entire Battalion of Soldiers on stand-by starting at Company Level first.

Make no mistake the mission is CONUS.

:wavey:

Warp
04-01-2012, 01:17

You see at any given time there is a quick reaction force (active duty) ready to go anywhere in the United States.

That means engines on the planes rolling, pallets of all required gear, and an entire Battalion of Soldiers on stand-by starting at Company Level first.

Even that wouldn't be enough to quarantine a major US city, let alone anywhere NEAR the time scale suggested by the OP's 'source'

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-01-2012, 06:50

A *few years ago*, I was in an RDF unit for a couple years. Our mission was never CONUS, and I had the clearance to know.

And a Battalion of soldiers is SQUAT to contain a city. Heck, you would be just barely doing a good job to secure the Mall of America with a battalion.. and again, it ain't happening in 90 minutes. Even if you didn't say "GO!" until the moment the airplanes wheels touched down at the airport in Minneapolis.

Dexters
04-01-2012, 08:39
Why is this thread still going?

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-01-2012, 08:57

Because conspiracy theories never die, and common sense/experience/knowledge will always try to prevail...?

Best I can do on short notice and before breakfast..

Warp
04-01-2012, 10:47

Because we have a lot of tinfoil hats in here.

Fortunately we also have a lot of level headed and life experienced folks to say "I don't think so".

Put the two together in the same room and...

lawman800
04-01-2012, 12:06
And a Battalion of soldiers is SQUAT to contain a city. Heck, you would be just barely doing a good job to secure the Mall of America with a battalion..

You soldiers would have a hard time taking over the largest retail center in America with their own crack team of super security operatives who drive electric go-karts with G36K carbines mounted below the chassis, whose team leader duct tapes ceramic rifle plates so he can withstand .338 Lapua rounds to the back, and whose super hot ex-model wife will set up a briefcase tactical thermonuclear device in the parking lot.

You guys have no chance.:whistling:

TangoFoxtrot
04-03-2012, 04:52

Well you have to keep in mine that unless the president suspends "Posse Comitotius" (spl) Active duty soldiers are not permitted ( by constuitional law) to police private cilivians. This suspenion has only been done 3 or 4 times in American history

DrSticky
04-03-2012, 12:06
A few more reasons to add to the list:
22: You have to use forces that are at least somewhat local(within the same state) which causes big issues.
23: You can't mobilize without people knowing.
24: It takes time to call up, mobilize, outfit, and deploy your troops/police officers into position.
25: OpSec is one thing when you are overseas, but when you are going to lock down your neighbors, it is another.

I don't see this going down the way your sources tell you. This sounds like one of those convos had over a few beers. If the groups(NG and Police) they suggest will make it happen, it is going to be like closing the barn door after all the smart animals get out. You are going to have to convince thousands of troops/police that they are doing something for the greater good, and that telling friends and loved ones is going to hurt those loved ones rather than help them. It wouldn't hurt if you got the media to believe the crap you were slinging.

I think a foreign Army would stand a better chance at getting this done, because ...
-they can mask calling up and training, and possibly even deployment into position.
-With the element of surprise they could blow the links to the town and cause traffic, while blocking units move into place.
-They would be less reluctant to stop people with death, which is a key deterrent against overwhelming numbers.
-They would also have mines and other munitions that can act as force multipliers.

DrSticky
04-03-2012, 12:10
You soldiers would have a hard time taking over the largest retail center in America with their own crack team of super security operatives who drive electric go-karts with G36K carbines mounted below the chassis, whose team leader duct tapes ceramic rifle plates so he can withstand .338 Lapua rounds to the back, and whose super hot ex-model wife will set up a briefcase tactical thermonuclear device in the parking lot.

You guys have no chance.:whistling:

One a serious note, I have two questions:
-Is this a movie?
-Is it on Netflix?

series1811
04-03-2012, 12:28
That's like the people who think all their phones are being monitored, their whereabouts tracked, etc., without wondering where we would get all of the people to actually do the monitoring.

Federal agents would probably be hard pressed to do over a couple thousand wiretaps at once, for instance. That sounds like a lot until you realize there are 300 million people in this country.

People who have never put operations together have no concept of manpower utilization, and how quickly people get used up.

B.Reid
04-03-2012, 14:05
That's like the people who think all their phones are being monitored, their whereabouts tracked, etc., without wondering where we would get all of the people to actually do the monitoring.

Federal agents would probably be hard pressed to do over a couple thousand wiretaps at once, for instance. That sounds like a lot until you realize there are 300 million people in this country.

People who have never put operations together have no concept of manpower utilization, and how quickly people get used up.

Who's watching the watchers? LOL

UneasyRider
04-03-2012, 21:09
I think that you have heard about the quarentine plans for a bird flu or pandemic disease. Those plans call for a "geographic quarentine of a contaminated area. So for instance it was in south Florida they just patrol route 70 going across the state and nobody goes north of it.

Why a smaller force has isolated a city in the past or in other countries is that they shoot anyone who looks like they might be a problem. It doesn't take long for that word to get around town and people to stay the hell away from the exits.

Javelin
04-03-2012, 23:15
One a serious note, I have two questions:
-Is this a movie?
-Is it on Netflix?

He is referring to a mix of GunKid, Geako45, and 2BB all combined (very infamous past members of GT).

survive1999
04-04-2012, 14:06
Shutting down the majority of transportation would be relatively easy depending on how serious the military needed to be.

Dropping a few semi's across the highways would eliminate 98% of all people trying to leave a major metro area.

Containment of a city would start with organized gridlock.

If you really wanted to get serious some C4 on a few bridges would go a long way for making things largely impassible to a large portion of the population.

Warp
04-04-2012, 20:17
If you really wanted to get serious some C4 on a few bridges would go a long way for making things largely impassible to a large portion of the population.

That would be beyond serious.

lawman800
04-05-2012, 01:35
Shutting down the majority of transportation would be relatively easy depending on how serious the military needed to be.

Dropping a few semi's across the highways would eliminate 98% of all people trying to leave a major metro area.

Containment of a city would start with organized gridlock.

C4? Like I said, a few cups of water strategically placed on a few freeway interchanges would stop all of LA traffic.

domin8ss
04-07-2012, 21:48
Forget C4. Pure sodium with water provides a very nice exothermic reaction.. Check it out on YouTube. It's also much easier to get than C4.

cyrsequipment
04-08-2012, 15:48
I'm guessing that you have never seen C4 going off in the real world if you think that reaction compares.

lawman800
04-08-2012, 23:57
I saw C4 and Semtex go off... man, that stuff is crazy. Blew a guard shack apart. Generated some crazy peak pressure too. If you don't die from the shrapnel, you die from your innards being liquefied.

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-09-2012, 05:51
One of the best explosions I ever saw, and I have in fact seen a bunch, was one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M58_MICLIC) being launched and set off from about 150 meters away.

Bilbo Bagins
04-09-2012, 09:02
I saw C4 and Semtex go off... man, that stuff is crazy. Blew a guard shack apart. Generated some crazy peak pressure too. If you don't die from the shrapnel, you die from your innards being liquefied.

I seen some dead Iraqi hit with a BLU-82, during Desert Storm. The ones laying face down had red stains on their asses, and we didn't know why. We were told later, that if get caught within a 2 mile radius when a daisy cutter goes off you bleed from EVERY orifice.

lawman800
04-09-2012, 09:24
I seen some dead Iraqi hit with a BLU-82, during Desert Storm. The ones laying face down had red stains on their asses, and we didn't know why. We were told later, that if get caught within a 2 mile radius when a daisy cutter goes off you bleed from EVERY orifice.

Sounds about right... the pressure makes your inside into a big jello mess and it just comes out wherever it can.

efman
04-09-2012, 20:27
ya I don't really see anything like this happening. what I could see is small rural counties having the local le block major roads heading into their county. I think that is a realistic possibility.