5.11 tactical pants & shorts and iwb carry??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 5.11 tactical pants & shorts and iwb carry???

bigcountry31987
03-29-2012, 11:50
I was looking at the 5.11 Tactical pants and shorts and was wondering some opinions. I noticed they have a bit of elastic around the waist which made me think they may be more comfortable for carry IWB than jeans. I was just looking for some opinions if anyone wears these pants while carrying IWB. I have a crossbreed supertuck and for now my EDC will be a g22 until I can afford a new g23.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-29-2012, 12:01
Isn't IWB waist tension set by belt-tightness?

So, I don't quite understand the jeans discomfort issue. Get jeans 2" bigger than you wear without a gun. Then tighten belt as needed.

Or am I missing something :)

chrisbritt15
03-29-2012, 12:24
Isn't IWB waist tension set by belt-tightness?

So, I don't quite understand the jeans discomfort issue. Get jeans 2" bigger than you wear without a gun. Then tighten belt as needed.

Or am I missing something :)

True, True :)

bigcountry31987
03-29-2012, 14:05
guess I didn't think about that. Im new to ccw.

gvcandyman
03-29-2012, 14:15
Ya I would make sure you're pants are the right size to fit the gun inside. There are some pants I could iwb with out a belt but I don't really trust it not to fall with out the belt. 5.11 operator belts and the trainer belts are awesome for holsters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mj9mm
03-29-2012, 14:19
i don't care for the idea of changing my dress style to cc, and tacticle pants are kind of obvious, a give away to carrying.:whistling:

ballr4lyf
03-29-2012, 14:42
Another thing to consider is that the belt is more important than the holster when you CCW. You can get away with a mediocre holster and a good belt much easier than you can a great holster on a cheapo belt.

That doesn't mean that you need to pay $500 for a good gun belt. I paid $30 for the Blackhawk belt I just got in the mail yesterday, and so far it seems to be more than capable for CCW use.

slickt0mmy
03-29-2012, 14:43
I have a pair. They're definitely very comfortable but I rarely wear them unless I'm going shooting out in the woods.

The gusseted crotch gives great freedom of movement but it feels really low too, like my pants are sagging even though they're not. Maybe it's something you have to get used to. :dunno:

Another thing I don't like is the "swish swish swish" sound they make when you walk. That might go away after breaking them in, so to speak, but it feels weird to go from jeans, which are effectively silent as you walk, to these pants that won't shut up. But again, that might go away with more wear. I just don't know.

Aside from those things, they're a pretty good pant. I don't worry too much about other people recognizing them because anyone who does is probably carrying as well. But like I said, I rarely wear them for the reasons listed above, apart from when working outdoors or shooting.

ETA: The elastic around the waist band doesn't do too much for ccw, since the belt controls the tension. However, it is handy for using a urinal! You don't even have to unbutton them because you can just undo your belt and then pull them down in the front.

As for a belt, I recommend the Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt. I have the 5-stitch model and it works perfectly.

DannyII
03-29-2012, 14:56
Based on a tip here on GT, I bought 2 pairs of these, and I really like them:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2203_30300759 (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2203_30028946)
http://www.lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant-elastic.html

I read this great (and funny) review of them before I purchased:http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/12/22/tactical-clothing-%E2%80%93-field-tested-la-police-gear-operator-tactical-pants/

My wife thought the Sierra ones were dress pants the first time she saw them. I love the extra pockets below the D-rings.

Note - They do run a bit small, so order 1" bigger than you normally wear, add 2-3" if you plan to IWb with them.

Edit-I have, use and love my Wilderness 5-stich for CCW with these pants.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-30-2012, 01:23
I really like mine, but I just don't wear them much because I prefer to wear jeans and I'm not really into the "tactical" look. However, if I am going downtown I wear them because they have a lot more pockets so I can carry mace in the little mag pouch pocket (flashlights or mags also fit in there).

The elastic is wonderful...why buy pants that are too big just to fit your gun in there when you can get pants that work if you're not carrying too? I carry my G26 and the Tac-Lite pants are great for CCW. Just my opinion of course, but I do really like these pants.

Bill Lumberg
03-30-2012, 04:47
No more comfortable than with jeans. I only use them carrying OWB. I was looking at the 5.11 Tactical pants and shorts and was wondering some opinions. I noticed they have a bit of elastic around the waist which made me think they may be more comfortable for carry IWB than jeans. I was just looking for some opinions if anyone wears these pants while carrying IWB. I have a crossbreed supertuck and for now my EDC will be a g22 until I can afford a new g23.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-30-2012, 05:31
I really like mine, but I just don't wear them much because I prefer to wear jeans and I'm not really into the "tactical" look. However, if I am going downtown I wear them because they have a lot more pockets so I can carry mace in the little mag pouch pocket (flashlights or mags also fit in there).

The elastic is wonderful...why buy pants that are too big just to fit your gun in there when you can get pants that work if you're not carrying too? I carry my G26 and the Tac-Lite pants are great for CCW. Just my opinion of course, but I do really like these pants.

The reason to buy pants that are bigger to fit the gun is because the gun is part of the clothing. When wearing clothes, that is the time to wear a gun :)

When clothes are off, the gun is in a quick access safe.

Dooger
03-30-2012, 09:37
i don't care for the idea of changing my dress style to cc, and tacticle pants are kind of obvious, a give away to carrying.:whistling:

Yup...

NkySpike
03-30-2012, 20:40
Hey, bigcountry31987

I sent you a PM.