Anyone opened up a ruger 10/22 synthetic stock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone opened up a ruger 10/22 synthetic stock

farmer-dave
03-29-2012, 19:20
Their hollow, it appears the butt plate is glued on, anyone pried one open or drilled a hole in one for extra ammo, emergency kit etc.

jason10mm
03-30-2012, 08:50
No, but you just gave me an AWESOME kickstarter idea :)

Anyone want to throw in for a pre-formed, pre-stocked, buttstock survival kit? Maybe for one of their new break-down rifles....

j/k, I have no idea how to do this.

RatDrall
03-30-2012, 11:21
You'd be better off wearing a pouch on your belt, than stuffing your rifle with a bunch of crap and possibly ruining its ability to function as a rifle.

Edited to Add:

What I mean is, why risk breaking or ruining a stock drilling holes and prying things? The next thought is a pouch on the exterior of the stock, but that won't do you any good if you lose the gun.

Your person is the best place to store a small kit. Beyond that, a backpack with proper water gathering/purification supplies, first aid, etc. Attaching crucial gear to something carried in your arms or on a simple sling is a recipe for its eventual loss.

WolfNotSheep
03-30-2012, 12:04
They are honeycombed, kind of like how the inner layer of cardboard looks. I've drilled into a few to add sling swivels and have always had to backfill the hole with a little JB weld or epoxy to get the stud to grab and hold.

Check out Dave Canturbury's YouTube channel, it's called WildernessOutfitters. He does a video on an H&R breaka ction shotgun where he inlet the right side of the wooden stock to accept an altoids tin. I can't find the actual video at the moment, but he used a few wood chisels to inlet a section of the stock that snugly fits an altoids tin, held in place by an elastic shell holder.

farmer-dave
03-30-2012, 19:29
Thanks for the info, good to know it's a honeycomb. It sounds hollow but firsthand knowledge always trumps guessing. I'll just wrap some paracord around the stock and call it good. It wouldn't take much for ruger to design a pocket back there, it would be a nice addition on their new takedown 10/22.

humanguerrilla
03-30-2012, 19:30

RWBlue
03-30-2012, 20:20
Thanks for the info, good to know it's a honeycomb. It sounds hollow but firsthand knowledge always trumps guessing. I'll just wrap some paracord around the stock and call it good. It wouldn't take much for ruger to design a pocket back there, it would be a nice addition on their new takedown 10/22.

That is probably the next trick they will release.

Personally, I would just like it to hold a couple mags.

RatDrall, keeping the ammo with the gun is usually a good idea. Adding a cleaning kit....ok, but I don't see the need. Adding other stuff, no thanks.