Which type of holster is Most likely to have poor retention? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which type of holster is Most likely to have poor retention?

CDR_Glock
03-29-2012, 20:10
Mas

I usually carry IWB, pocket carry or ankle carry (a backup). The ankle carry, despite having a strap over the back of the gun, makes me a bit nervous that the gun will fall out of the holster, and onto the ground. It's not like a gun on an IWB that has a belt cinching the holster in place.

Is the ankle carry holster the most likely type to have a gun fall out? How do you recommend dealing with a situation like that, as a civilian (non-LEO)?

Thanks,

Rick

iPad/Tapatalk

Mas Ayoob
03-29-2012, 20:23
The poorest retention is holsterless carry, the gun just stuffed into the waistband.

With an ankle rig, your best bet is one that is boned so snugly to the shape of the gun that it would hold the weapon in place even without the safety strap. Safety strap on top of that? All the better.

For decades now, I've shared with students a trick I learned from Richie Rosenthal when he was on the Firearms Training Unit of NYPD. Put the ankle holster on WITHOUT the gun in it. Adjust it snugly, but not so tight it cuts off circulation. THEN insert the handgun. Seems to hold everything more secure that way. Thanks, Rich.

Best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
03-30-2012, 15:43
Thanks, Mas.

What about how to deal with a gun falling out, unintentionally?

Rick

Mas Ayoob
03-30-2012, 16:23
I assume you mean from an ankle holster. That's why I recommended tightly boned, PLUS safety strap. Thumb-break strap can be accidentally released by crossing your ankles, running through heavy brush, etc.; tight boned leather gives a safety net.

If it falls out, about all you can do is stop and pick it up. Smile reassuringly at any horrified bystanders, and keep going where you were going. :supergrin:

best,
Mas