Caliber/snubbie Question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caliber/snubbie Question?

Kulprit
03-30-2012, 10:47
Looking into the .327 federal magnum. All the ballistics look great. Seems like the only snubbie available is the out of production Taurus m327. Any experience with the caliber and/or gun? Thanks

Breadman03
03-30-2012, 12:02
I think the Ruger SP101 is chambered for it.

Just looked, 3 in. Barrel only.

RedHaze
04-16-2012, 19:44
The Charter Arms Patriot comes with a 2.2 inch barrel.

Model No. 73270
http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/prod_pgs/73270.jpg

I've looked into it for quite a while. Thinking I'd talk the wife into one... She didn't want the SP101 though, and that's about as short as I'd go with the .327. As it really starts to loose the juice when you go with the shorter barrels. We're talking along the lines of 300-400 fps slower with the 2 inch barrel vs the 3 inch SP101.

I don't think I'd trust it to expand with those velocities. Whereas the .38 special works just fine at snub nose velocities, as it's designed for that velocity window to work properly.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Chup
04-17-2012, 05:50
I have worked in Gun Shops since before the 327 was made available. Very few people ask about it. The Two Guns I have seen in the caliber were SP101s. We have a hard time getting the ammo. Sometimes it is available allot of the time it is not. When we did find the ammo it was expensive and limited in loading's. It's up to you, this is just my opinion. I would stay away from it and go with 357. With 357 you have a very wide range of ammo. From the weakest 38 pinking load to as hot of a 357 as you or the gun can handle. It is your call. Now the 327 lovers can rip on me.

L Pete
04-17-2012, 10:23
Yep, I've heard of problems acquiring the ammo, and it's expensive when found.

dugo
06-05-2012, 12:19
S&W has a new two inch j-frame that looks very nice; like a model 640-pro. the sp-101 is very good if the three inch barrel is ok for you. I agree that three inches is better for getting more out of the round, but the ballistics for the two inch look pretty good too.

the draw for many is the six round capacity in small frame size. there are also a variety of power factors available. One might go down to very comfortable .32 H&R mag rounds, up to the very hot BuffaloBore 100 grain .32 H&R's (which Should be very viable for self-defense if .327's are too much for an individual), and on to several power options in .327. full power loads are not as hard to handle as .357, but harder recoiling than .38 Plus P.

the range of power and recoil level options is very good. while there may not be what one is looking for on the shelf in the local gun shop, there are several good options for ammo online. -- not as easy to find as .38/.357, but not as hard to find as some suspect. Quality SD ammo costs around what you'ld pay for other calibers. Practice ammo is available and seems to be about half of that cost, more or less. that should change if the round gains in popularity.

dugo
06-06-2012, 13:45
The Charter Arms Patriot comes with a 2.2 inch barrel.

Model No. 73270
http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/prod_pgs/73270.jpg

I've looked into it for quite a while. Thinking I'd talk the wife into one... She didn't want the SP101 though, and that's about as short as I'd go with the .327. As it really starts to loose the juice when you go with the shorter barrels. We're talking along the lines of 300-400 fps slower with the 2 inch barrel vs the 3 inch SP101.

I don't think I'd trust it to expand with those velocities. Whereas the .38 special works just fine at snub nose velocities, as it's designed for that velocity window to work properly.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

The new S&W is the 632-2, or the 632 Pro -- but I think there was a 3 inch Pro, too. the 2 inch has a fluted barrel and nice night sights, etc. Really looks much like the 60 Pro.

FWIW, I understand the S&W has a noticeably faster barrel than the Charter product, so velocity loss may not be so much of a factor. I also heard that the Charter didn't lose as much as you indicate, though I didn't double check. I think the velocity loss on the 2 inch Smith, compared to the 3 inch Ruger, was somewhere around 100 fps, IIRC.

If it were me, I might choose the load with that in mind, but I wouldn't worry too much about expansion after that. standard velocities for .327 are pretty fast, and quality bullets like Gold Dots and XTP's (IIRC) should perform pretty well. cor Bon has a fast, light round in their all-copper bullet,too -- haven't tried it yet, but that should be worth watching as reports come in. that copper bullet has looked good in other calibers. If it holds together at .327velocities, it might be very promising.

Now the Soft Points are apparently a different story, expansion-wise. Seems like those might be best for target and small game use -- or defense against animals -- rather than personal defense against two-legged predators.