MRE's have changed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MRE's have changed

Hailstorm
03-30-2012, 11:08
Alright. I was in for the First Gulf War. The MRE's we had it seems that they didn't care how it tasted.

Fast forward to now. I am keeping 10 cases on hand. I bought 5 new cases and so I am eating the old ten year old stuff now. One at lunch time at work for a week. I have yet had a bad one. Each one was actually good taste wise. Getting a bit tired of pears. LOL

Really, I was expecting to barely choke these things down at lunch. Instead, I am thinking about keeping a eye out all the time for deals and keep eating them at lunch. Has to be better than fast food for sure.

Anyone else notice the change?

thejellster05
03-30-2012, 11:46
I never had the old ones, but I dont think they're bad and wonder why people complain all the time about them=Guess I know that they are talking about the old ones.

I take them fishing/hiking all the time.

WolfNotSheep
03-30-2012, 11:51
I have particular menu numbers I look for (like sploopy joe and buffalo chicken) but all the MREs I've ever had, especially newer ones, I've liked. I haven't tried anything with eggs in it, due to lack of bravery. It just seems risky.

The best deal I've seen on cases is $60 at the local gunshows...no shipping charges that way, either.

crash09
03-30-2012, 13:25
Should have tried them in the early 80s. Just thinking about the Ham and Chicken loaf still makes me want to :puking:

itstime
03-30-2012, 13:34
I never complained eating any throughout the years. My peers always had nicknames for me.

Even the old ones to me weren't bad. Definitely not a really good meal but when I'm hungry I'll eat anything.

Hailstorm
03-30-2012, 13:48
Yea, if your thirsty enough, muddy water looks good.lol

I just hope I don't start gaining wieght eating these things. Being 5'9" and 200 pounds. I don't need any more to add to the beltline.:embarassed:

I keep my eyes open to craigslist. I found a source. Like last monday I paid $180 plus $25 in gas for 5 cases. Good indicators and good dates.

The deal before that was 5 cases of the civy versions for $150.

Atomic Punk
03-30-2012, 13:49
i used to have a ton of some very old dark green ones. got them in trade from an old retired marine for some work i did. everything was good except for the ham omelet, that was gross.

Javelin
03-30-2012, 13:50
I've only been eating them since 1998 so I don't have a lot of background on MREs like some of you C-Rat guys. :whistling:

The only thing that I have seen change is that they stopped making the breakfast MREs (white package) and the Ham Slice is gone (thank God). But they did add some good options in Vegetarian and even some of the new Italian dishes are excellent.

:wavey:

quake
03-30-2012, 14:56
One of these days I'm going to have to try an MRE.

Actually kind of liked c-rations myself; but I was fresh off the farm & that was semi-exotic stuff to me back then... :embarassed: (They were heavy though.)

cowboy1964
03-30-2012, 14:57
I never had an MRE until last year. I was impressed with the taste. More disappointed in some of the selections in the package... things like every single package had peanut M&Ms.

Javelin
03-30-2012, 14:58
I never had an MRE until last year. I was impressed with the taste. More disappointed in some of the selections in the package... things like every single package had peanut M&Ms.

I loved the Peanut M&Ms! Some of them are Peanut Butter M&Ms too.

Most though I have found have Skittles. I would always trade.

:tongueout:

Tango 1Zero
03-30-2012, 14:59
That Chicken Ala king was rough in the eighties.
I stuck with anything that had tomato sauce. That sliced ham in the grease/jelly looked like hell but was good.
We use to cut the meals down to the entrees and a few accessory packs, sweets and fruit. Anything to save space.

DDgunslinger
03-30-2012, 15:04
MRE's have most definitely come leaps and bounds over the years... however I do agree with cowboy1964, that having M&Ms in every MRE is kinda ridiculous lol

Tom Kanik
03-30-2012, 22:11
One of these days I'm going to have to try an MRE.

Actually kind of liked c-rations myself; but I was fresh off the farm & that was semi-exotic stuff to me back then... :embarassed: (They were heavy though.)

Pretty much the same for me Brother!:supergrin:

lawman800
03-30-2012, 22:57
Bought a case for storage but haven't tried it. I did eat military food in the mess hall before though and anything is an improvement over that!

kirgi08
03-30-2012, 23:18
50 cases stored,and yep I've tried them all.Some are good and some are junk.Just remember folks,hunger is the best sauce.'08.

Dalton Wayne
03-31-2012, 00:30
You ain't lived till you've ate a C-rat

lawman800
03-31-2012, 00:31

You wish you would have died after you ate a K-rat.

kirgi08
03-31-2012, 01:59

BTDT,Pops was a Korean War vet.'08. :shocked:

DustyJacket
03-31-2012, 03:04
I had my first MRE in the mid 1980s - I remember the meat was this freeze dried triscuit looking thing and it had the dried strawberries which were like styrafoam when dry or red goop when wet.

I hear they got better.

Most of my time in the Army was c-rats. Loved them all, but in hot weather the ones with fruit in syrup were especially good. The ham slices in fat and (whatever) were my least favorite......

dotsun
03-31-2012, 04:03
I haven't had any of the new ones, but the ones back during Desert Storm weren't too bad. I remember trying to feed a starving dog in Iraq a barbeque meat balls one and he wouldn't touch it, though. :rofl:

Blast
03-31-2012, 04:27
I tried those back in the 70s. Pretty rough stuff. The can bread smelled moldy, but peanut butter wasn't bad though oily.
Wouldn't want to have to eat C-rats for very long.
Has anybody tried K-rats? I never. I heard they were nasty.

TangoFoxtrot
03-31-2012, 05:34
Alright. I was in for the First Gulf War. The MRE's we had it seems that they didn't care how it tasted.

Fast forward to now. I am keeping 10 cases on hand. I bought 5 new cases and so I am eating the old ten year old stuff now. One at lunch time at work for a week. I have yet had a bad one. Each one was actually good taste wise. Getting a bit tired of pears. LOL

Really, I was expecting to barely choke these things down at lunch. Instead, I am thinking about keeping a eye out all the time for deals and keep eating them at lunch. Has to be better than fast food for sure.

Actually I liked the taste of the old ones better than the new ones. The only problem with MRE's is you need to drink lots of water with them or they it will bind you up.:embarassed: (at least they did me) Especially the peanut butter. Thats why I ate them only when I had to in my 22 years of service.

DScottHewitt
03-31-2012, 08:09

Some threads from GNG on MREs:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1407026

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404000

Many good answers to the taste question in the second one.....

Especially Lone's breakdown by item of the stuff I asked about.

You can also get like specific entrees in cases at CTD. I like sketti.

lawman800
03-31-2012, 11:03
Actually I liked the taste of the old ones better than the new ones. The only problem with MRE's is you need to drink lots of water with them or they it will bind you up.:embarassed: (at least they did me) Especially the peanut butter. Thats why I ate them only when I had to in my 22 years of service.

That's good. Last thing you want is a whole platoon of guys needing to take a crap in the middle of a situation.

Ronaldo
03-31-2012, 11:59
I've been lucky(?) enough to have sampled and eaten a bunch of military rations. As a kid I used to buy K-Ration at the surplus store and ate them on fishing and camping trips. It was stale-tasting but edible. As a kid though, I'd eat anything that wouldn't eat me.

During the early 80's I bought ten cases of C-Rats. They were overall not too bad, but I never ate the eggs. They were gray and smelled like... well, you know. The desserts were great - peaches and poundcake being my favorite.

Last few years I graduated up to MRE's. They seem to taste better but do not seem as filling as the C-Rats. Moreover, although the mylar packaging is supposed to be secure and airtight, I really trusted the canned C's better. An invisible pinprick can render the food inedible or worse.

Right now I don't have any of these on hand. The Seņora Ronaldo wouldn't eat them, so we stock staple items for cooking and canned goods for easy and tasty prep. Our out of town location is stocked similarly so in the event of a bugout we don't have to try to pack everything. Just grab a few critical items and go...

I wouldn't mind buying up some of the entrees and desserts just to keep on hand for pack trips and foraging.

Ronaldo

Warp
03-31-2012, 15:36
http://www.mreinfo.com/

Some of them are good. I'm due to pick up another new case, though, so all of mine aren't too old. I have a couple cases of 9 'meals' that I put together myself by mixing and matching multiple cases + straight up peanut butter/crackers/spaghetti entrees I bought in bulk.

I tried an old one (different darker colored bag and all) that my dad had had in the basement for years and years. It was basically all edible. The freeze dried fruit was weird, the peanut butter was a different color, the crackers weren't so crisp, etc, but we (dad, brother and I while on vacation) ate it all.

The escalloped potatoes and ham, I think it was, was out freaking standing. Seriously...outstanding.

I still really like the spaghetti, ravioli, type entrees, Just like chef boyardee out of a can

rgregoryb
03-31-2012, 17:40
MRE's have most definitely come leaps and bounds over the years... however I do agree with cowboy1964, that having M&Ms in every MRE is kinda ridiculous lol

that's cause they melt in your mouth, not in your hand....:supergrin:

shotgunred
04-01-2012, 00:12
Should have tried them in the early 80s. Just thinking about the Ham and Chicken loaf still makes me want to :puking:

I don't know I think that they were a lot better than the crats that I was eating before they came out. I used to like the dehydrated fruit. I ate it dry though I never did try to rehydrate it.

crash09
04-01-2012, 11:08
I don't know I think that they were a lot better than the crats that I was eating before they came out. I used to like the dehydrated fruit. I ate it dry though I never did try to rehydrate it.

They weren't all bad. But that chopped, formed loaf meat was a bit too much like Spam. Had to be really hungry to eat it cold.

We had some recipes back then; think they came from Army Times or somewhere, but you would mix the dried fruit with the creamer packet, the sugar packet, the crackers and water and it would make a sort of cobbler. Not too bad.

Kingarthurhk
04-01-2012, 12:00
With about a 5 year shelf life and a bulky size, they aren't necessarily the best option. You can fit a lot more freeze dried food that lasts 25 years in a pack. The only limitation is you need a source of water. Also, for space preservation there are also Hooah bars.

Warp
04-01-2012, 12:07
With about a 5 year shelf life and a bulky size, they aren't necessarily the best option. You can fit a lot more freeze dried food that lasts 25 years in a pack. The only limitation is you need a source of water. Also, for space preservation there are also Hooah bars.

That freeze dried food is expensive. And be sure to check the calorie content per "serving" and per container as well, you might be surprised.

I have both freeze dried (mountain house cans from BS and DJ group buys) and cases of MREs. And mylar/buckets of rice, etc. They all have their places. We aren't very good about storing what we eat/eating what we store, though, so the pantry isn't much of a prep location here

Kingarthurhk
04-01-2012, 12:24
That freeze dried food is expensive. And be sure to check the calorie content per "serving" and per container as well, you might be surprised.

I have both freeze dried (mountain house cans from BS and DJ group buys) and cases of MREs. And mylar/buckets of rice, etc. They all have their places. We aren't very good about storing what we eat/eating what we store, though, so the pantry isn't much of a prep location here

I guess if you were sheltering in place. However, you have to rotate those MRE's every 5 years. Often times when you get them, they have been around a bit as it is.

The MRE's from the last hurricane that I had are all expired.

Warp
04-01-2012, 12:34
I guess if you were sheltering in place. However, you have to rotate those MRE's every 5 years. Often times when you get them, they have been around a bit as it is.

The MRE's from the last hurricane that I had are all expired.

MREs, even semi properly stored, are okay longer than 5 years.

Generally the ones available to purchase are at least 1-2 years old, it seems. (military MREs)

But what do you mean with your sheltering in place comment? I think MREs would be better for on the go/bugging out/etc than the freeze dried. Zero prep is required with the MREs, and with a little bit of water you can have them warmed.

Kingarthurhk
04-01-2012, 12:37
MREs, even semi properly stored, are okay longer than 5 years.

Generally the ones available to purchase are at least 1-2 years old, it seems. (military MREs)

But what do you mean with your sheltering in place comment? I think MREs would be better for on the go/bugging out/etc than the freeze dried. Zero prep is required with the MREs, and with a little bit of water you can have them warmed.

For bugging out, not so much. The consume a huge ammount of pack space.

Warp
04-01-2012, 12:44
For bugging out, not so much. The consume a huge ammount of pack space.

On foot? If bugging out on foot pack space/weight should probably be used for stuff far more important than food anyway. A datrex bar or two and maybe a few bars is about all I would want to lug around.

...but are you considering the space and weight of the water that would be required to hydrate the mountain house style food?

Also, if planning for a potential bug out on foot (really a very poor option of absolute last resort) you should probably open up some of the MREs and get rid of the extra stuff such as the cardboard around some the entrees, the components you don't really need, etc. You can save a decent amount of space and some weight this way.

Kingarthurhk
04-01-2012, 15:43
On foot? If bugging out on foot pack space/weight should probably be used for stuff far more important than food anyway. A datrex bar or two and maybe a few bars is about all I would want to lug around.

Yes, on foot. If you were dragging around a vehicle with you all the time, MRE's would be fine for space consumption.

...but are you considering the space and weight of the water that would be required to hydrate the mountain house style food?

Yes, I had thought about that. But, I also thought, if you don't have a source of water, you're dead anyway. Three days or so without water and you are pretty much done.

Also, if planning for a potential bug out on foot (really a very poor option of absolute last resort) you should probably open up some of the MREs and get rid of the extra stuff such as the cardboard around some the entrees, the components you don't really need, etc. You can save a decent amount of space and some weight this way.

That is a thought. And on foot depends on if you are going someplace your vehicle can't. Further, once it is out of gas, you are on foot anyway.

Warp
04-01-2012, 15:48
Yes, I had thought about that. But, I also thought, if you don't have a source of water, you're dead anyway. Three days or so without water and you are pretty much done.

Which is a good reason to take food out of your BOB and replace that space/weight with water.

DrSticky
04-02-2012, 08:01
The veggie omelet is terrible. The general rule of thumb is that the worse the entree the better the snacks and stuff.

If you are buying MREs and they are dated 2009-2010, there were several runs of MREs where the shakes inside (Vanilla, Irish Creme, Choclate, etc) were tainted and we were told not to eat them. We were told that if the MRE wasn't in a clear plastic pouch inside the outer container, not to eat the shake. The rest is considered fine, but it is a bummer because I like taking the coffee pouch and adding it to the shake. I call it a field-a-chino. Maybe you can negotiate a cheaper rate since you are losing 250 calories.