Fried tators. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fried tators.

okie
03-31-2012, 08:20
At what temp and for how long do you fry your tators? I cant seem to get it right they are either burned or way over cooked and mushy and I don't like mushy tators:upeyes::supergrin:

Atlas
03-31-2012, 08:28
Don't know the answer, but in Germany they like them with paprika.
Try it.

cj5mrt
03-31-2012, 08:36
I've never had any luck trying to fry raw taters. Whenever the wife and I want home fries I bake a potato the night before and refrigerate it. In the morning I cut it up and fry it in a little oil and butter on medium till they start to brown.
HTH

syntaxerrorsix
03-31-2012, 09:04
Put a thin coat of oil/bacon fat/crisco on a cast iron pan and pop it into the oven 375° and let them pre-heat together. Cut up your taters and then pour enough EVOO to evenly coat them. Spice to taste. Once the oven is ready pull out the pan and dump the taters in the cast iron and let them sizzle for about three minutes stir once or twice. Place the pan back into the oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the taters out of the pan as soon as they are cooked.

G29Reload
03-31-2012, 09:06
I had a perfect round of these this morning with my perfect scrambled eggs.

1. Iron skillet
2. Yukon golds
3. Peanut oil.

Chop em into homefries and 1 tablespoon of oil over them.

Toss and fry on med heat till brown. MEDIUM HEAT!

10 mins should do it. 35-45 mins is ridiculous. I'm hungry NOW!

For my scrambled eggs, the secret is a blender.

For me, put in the blender

3 eggs
2 tablespoons of milk
crush in some fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp of sea salt.

hit puree till the whole mess is blended smooth, a few seconds…then let it sit

Melt a tablespoon of butter over low heat. DON"T BURN IT.

Swizzle the butter around the skillet till its covererd.

Then while the butter is still hot and melted,

Re-start the blender with top off and pour the melted butter into the puree and run for a couple secs to blend the butter into the eggs.

Now pour the eggs into the butter-lubed skillet on low heat and cook as usual, no burning!

ilgunguygt
03-31-2012, 09:11
Okie, when I fry taters, I cut them into 1/8" to 1/4" thick slices and drop them in boiling water for a few minutes. They soften just a touch, only takes a few minutes to do. THen I fry them at 350 till they have the color and texture I want. You can also fry them for a few minutes, take them out and drain them, let them cool completely, and then refry them. This gets a nice soft inside crunchy outside, if you like them thicker/chunkier.

mymini40
03-31-2012, 09:12
Yummy!

ilgunguygt
03-31-2012, 09:21
By the way okie, taters should be fried with onions, without a doubt.

ZekerMan
03-31-2012, 09:26

I agree with this statement^^^^^^^^do not taste right without the onions.

G29Reload
03-31-2012, 09:28

I tend to agree with this, but this mornings was without and came up just fine.

Zonny
03-31-2012, 09:35
Okie, when I fry taters, I cut them into 1/8" to 1/4" thick slices and drop them in boiling water for a few minutes. They soften just a touch, only takes a few minutes to do. THen I fry them at 350 till they have the color and texture I want. You can also fry them for a few minutes, take them out and drain them, let them cool completely, and then refry them. This gets a nice soft inside crunchy outside, if you like them thicker/chunkier.

This is the trick. Also, make sure your pan and oil is hot before you toss in the taters.

This too:

ChuteTheMall
03-31-2012, 09:37
Get yourself a part time job at Five Guys and learn how to do it right.

http://i39.tinypic.com/w7zd60.gif

ilgunguygt
03-31-2012, 09:42
I tend to agree with this, but this mornings was without and came up just fine.
Its like biscuits and gravy without hot sauce. Sure, its still good, I mean, its biscuits and gravy right? But put some Franks Red Hot on it, and its GREAT! Fried potatoes and onions are the same way to me.

MrsKitty
03-31-2012, 09:49
I do it just like my grandma did in her 100+ year old cast iron skillet then fry a few slices of fatback. When it's done, I drop in the potatoes in the grease and let them brown on the bottom. Once browned, I add onion, salt & pepper and stir. I put a plate on top then leave them alone until the bottom is browned again. Repeat a couple more times.

G29Reload
03-31-2012, 10:21
Its like biscuits and gravy without hot sauce. Sure, its still good, I mean, its biscuits and gravy right? But put some Franks Red Hot on it, and its GREAT! Fried potatoes and onions are the same way to me.

And they also at times require hot sauce! Not always at breakfast, but….

My other best tater recipe…

Cut a couple yukes (yukon golds) up in to homefries size.
dump in plastic back with half a chopped onion
shake to mix em up good.
add a couple tablespoons of peanut oil
shake again to coat
dump them in a "bowl" of aluminum foil
shake old bay seasoning over the whole mess
slice up chunks of bacon and place uncooked over the taters
a little more old bay

put on the charcoal grill, with wood chips on the charcoal…oak, cherry, mesquite

smoke for at least 3/4 of an hour

serve with hot sauce and grilled chicken

lethal tupperwa
03-31-2012, 10:58
or just find a Greek Diner

MtBaldy
03-31-2012, 11:06
The secret to great french fries is to fry them twice. It's the only way to get a soft perfectly cooked inside with a crispy outside. Fry them first, in small batches at 325 until they just start to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Take them out and let them cool down. Raise the heat of the oil to 350. Put the french fries back in the oil, again in small batches, until they are golden brown. This may take another 5-7 minutes. Turn out onto paper towels or a rack and salt immediately. Let drain for a minute and serve. Perfect crispy creamy french fries.

ps

You do know to hold raw french fries in water until you're ready to fry them to keep them from browning right? Make sure to pat them dry before you put them in the oil the first time.

method
03-31-2012, 11:09
I make hash browns by running a potato through a cheese shredder, mix in plenty of chopped onion, and fry in oil in cast iron over medium-high till nice and browned, then turn. I add cheese sometimes after turning.

DanaT
03-31-2012, 11:25
Now I am hungry.

-Dana

ilgunguygt
03-31-2012, 11:34
And they also at times require hot sauce! Not always at breakfast, but….

My other best tater recipe…

Cut a couple yukes (yukon golds) up in to homefries size.
dump in plastic back with half a chopped onion
shake to mix em up good.
add a couple tablespoons of peanut oil
shake again to coat
dump them in a "bowl" of aluminum foil
shake old bay seasoning over the whole mess
slice up chunks of bacon and place uncooked over the taters
a little more old bay

put on the charcoal grill, with wood chips on the charcoal…oak, cherry, mesquite

smoke for at least 3/4 of an hour

serve with hot sauce and grilled chicken
That sounds pretty damn good.

okie
03-31-2012, 11:45

Well that's a given my friend:supergrin::eat:

DanaT
03-31-2012, 11:46
Add a little bacon too. It helps the flavor.

Dana

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

okie
03-31-2012, 11:49
Get yourself a part time job at Five Guys and learn how to do it right.

http://i39.tinypic.com/w7zd60.gif

But there's no Five Guys around here:crying:

3000fps
03-31-2012, 11:52
I always set the oil to 350. Put a drop of water in to hear it crackle and it should be G2G. Don't crowd the pan or they will taste like crap.

okie
03-31-2012, 12:11
Add a little bacon too. It helps the flavor.

Dana

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bacon is food of the God's for sure:eat:

okie
03-31-2012, 12:12
I always set the oil to 350. Put a drop of water in to hear it crackle and it should be G2G. Don't crowd the pan or they will taste like crap.

That may have been one of my problems also:alex:

HarleyGuy
03-31-2012, 12:49
My Mom used to fry potatos in bacon grease in a black iron skillet, covered with a lid or a china plate.
These "home fries" as they're now called, were served "mushy" or a little less cooked or fried than "hashed browns".
Personally, I prefer potato chunks that are "browned" and a little crunchy.....covered with asmall amount of white, milk gravy!:supergrin:

Wyoming
03-31-2012, 12:59
Okie when I had a Fry Daddy that worked for everything. What ever that temperature is is what you want.

Okie I was a victim of a vast conspiracy! The Ladies* in my life conspired and would hide pieces to my Fry Daddy such as the power cord. Today I own two turkey fryers and keep them in my shop for safe keeping. Beside the Ladies* like fried turkey!

* The Ladies are my Wife, Daughter and my Mom who has since passed.

G30SF/F-250
03-31-2012, 14:43
Okie when I had a Fry Daddy that worked for everything. What ever that temperature is is what you want.

Okie I was a victim of a vast conspiracy! The Ladies* in my life conspired and would hide pieces to my Fry Daddy such as the power cord. Today I own two turkey fryers and keep them in my shop for safe keeping. Beside the Ladies* like fried turkey!

* The Ladies are my Wife, Daughter and my Mom who has since passed.

I use my Fry Baby, and eat half of them while I make several batches.:supergrin:

Wyoming
03-31-2012, 16:26
I use my Fry Baby, and eat half of them while I make several batches.:supergrin:

Maybe I can sneak a Fry Babby by, They are smaller!:rofl:

Peace Warrior
03-31-2012, 17:41
Okie, first, you have to start with good potatoes. make sure they aren't "last years" that have been under refrigeration as these will be too "sweet."

If you're gonna do home fries, you got to have THIS YEAR'S potatoes and they they need to be washed, by hand with clean water, on the outside. You do it by hand so as to make sure they are clean. Let them drip dry on a towel (or paper towel) till they "turn color" (i.e., their peels visually lighten up slightly).

Now, ask yourself, how do you like 'em cut? Cut as in cut like fine as in hash browns, sliced like home fries, or chunk cut like southern home fried taters. Hopefully, you like the latter. Now, it's time to get the onions cut. The onion are always a matter of personal choice. I like mine "thick diced," which means I can taste them while eatin' the taters. Others like them half sliced, which is almost as good as thick diced as half sliced also disburses the onion flavor throughout the entire batch of fired taters. Quarter slicing or "salad" slicing the onions causes more work for the chef cook when considering the equal distribution of onion flavor throughout the batch of taters.

(Didn't know it be this difficult huh? :supergrin: )

Okay, now you're ready for the pot and oil. Gots to be a cast iron skillet Okie, If you don't have a cast iron skillet, just go to mcd's and by "french fries." Since I know you already have a good IRON skillet, or will buy one based on this course of instruction :wavey:, this is now a moot point.

In the good old days, lard was the only way to go. Nowadays, lard is not too effective as a "positive health gradient." So knowing, solid Crisco, split with some real butter, is the next best thing. The butter, after rendering all the moisture out, gives some really good flavoring to the oil at lower (i.e., equal to or below 325 degree) temperatures.

(Okay, if you're not allowed room temperature solid fats/oils, then use liquid vegetable oil. OR, if you can't even do this type of oil, due to a medically implanted circulatory stint being installed in one, two, or more of your arteries, then go with room temperature canola oil. The point is, taters can be cooked with doctors approval as long as we, as tater connoisseurs, are willing to work with what we have at our disposal with respect to not going completely AMA in a dietary sense. :supergrin:)

Now, the spices have to be simple because the heat is going to literally FRY the spices. Seriously, no pun intended. I recommend fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic, and paprika. (Use salt if you like it, but it is NOT necessary.) However, these spices are NOT to be added until the taters are "cooked." I say cooked as taters don't actually finish cooking until they are OUT OF THE GREASE/SKILLET AND ON A PAPER PLATE.

Okay, if you have grease thermometer, throw it away as it is akin to a number one draft pick hobbling around on crutches. Instead, taking a couple pieces of the prepared onion, dip or drop these into the heated oil.

Watch carefully, do the onion pieces try to "jump out" of the grease? if they do, it's too hot. Or, do they begin to sizzle and turn color. First clear, then golden, to golden brown. If so, PERFECT! Now, let the oil stay on the heat and carefully place your taters in the oil. If you chunk cut, like any good southerner will do, the taters will "float" when they are ready to removed. get it? They will "float." NO, they are NOT done cooking, but they will finish cooking AFTER YOU REMOVE THEM FROM THE OIL, and they will finish cooking using the heat "proscribed" to them by the HOT oil.

Seriously Okie, it shouldn't/won't take but a couple times of you going through this regime to figure out EXACTLY how to make perfect taters for yourself sir. Most people screw up thinking taters are done when they take them out the grease. Not true!

Lastly, I mix GOOD ketchup with Louisiana Hot Sauce, powdered garlic, and a tad of basil as a dip for my fried taters. You go with what you like sir.

Lemme know. :wavey:

GOOD LUCK! :patriot: :wavey:

MrsKitty
03-31-2012, 18:30

This is exactly why I don't ever eat much when I cook! I'm full by the time the meal is ready. :rofl: