Zimmerman and Common Sense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Zimmerman and Common Sense

Amsdorf
03-31-2012, 10:56
My thoughts on the Martin/Zimmerman tragedy...

http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/03/31/thoughts-on-the-martinzimmerman-tragedy/

AA#5
03-31-2012, 11:06
I agree 100%. Whether or not the shooting was justified, Zimmerman's first mistake was playing cop & private eye.

The police would have probably questioned Martin & said "Have a nice day" & there wouldn't have been any fight.

Dexters
03-31-2012, 15:00
I agree with what you wrote.

"Perhaps not, at that point, but…his, literally, fatal error was choosing to ignore the police department’s instruction to NOT pursue, to NOT follow, to let the police handle it. "

Isn't the above still in question. I remember reading that Z might have been getting back or going to his car when attacked.

Search the net there are some stories about it.

Bottom line on Z case - if he was wrong we will never hear the end of it. If T was wrong, it will slowly fade away.

Rumbler_G20
03-31-2012, 15:12
My thoughts on the Martin/Zimmerman tragedy...

http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/03/31/thoughts-on-the-martinzimmerman-tragedy/

I have a question please.

How do you "report and observe" what you can not see?

You make the case that was his "duty". So I'm just wondering how he could do that without following Martin. Which, by the way, is absolutely NOT illegal or even immoral, at least in Florida.:dunno:

DOC44
03-31-2012, 15:19
Zimmerman violated the key and most critical common sense rule armed citizens are taught: the use of a firearm in self-defense is only the truly last resort. Now, you may say, “But Zimmerman was being physically attacked by Martin, he had no choice.” Perhaps not, at that point, but…his, literally, fatal error was choosing to ignore the police department’s instruction to NOT pursue, to NOT follow, to let the police handle it. Zimmerman’s own duty was to observe and report, not follow, track down and stalk a person whom he had concerns about.

A little information is a dangerous thing.... what did Z do? did he continue to follow T or did he return to his car? both accounts are out there. both cannot be true.

Doc44

G-19
03-31-2012, 15:27
We need to wait until all the facts are in before casting judgement, either way.

I also agree that it is sad that the death of this young man is being used as a racial issue.

LASTRESORT20
03-31-2012, 15:32
A little information is a dangerous thing.... what did Z do? did he continue to follow T or did he return to his car? both accounts are out there. both cannot be true.

Doc44

Good point....and now all wait for the facts....well...maybe not all it seems.

RC-RAMIE
03-31-2012, 15:43
I won't comment on if Z was right or wrong because I don't have enough info. Personally when I CCW I become more concerned with my and my family safety and less concerned with other peoples property and go way out of my way to avoid confrontations.

"Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it is realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy. - Ron Paul

HarleyGuy
03-31-2012, 16:31
All of this will rely on two decisions:

If the state decides to charge Zimmerman and if they do, the verdict of the jury.

Until Zimmerman has had his day in court and proven either innocent or guilty, in the eyes of the law he is to be considered innocent.

DOC44
03-31-2012, 18:46
All of this will rely on two decisions:

If the state decides to charge Zimmerman and if they do, the verdict of the jury.

Until Zimmerman has had his day in court and proven either innocent or guilty, in the eyes of the law he is to be considered innocent.

somebody needs to tell Al and Jessie how the law works.... well since holder is in charge I don't guess it works anymore the way it is supposed to.

Doc44

hogship
03-31-2012, 19:54
It's been over 30 years ago that I was a Sheriff's and Highway Patrol dispatcher. Back then, I was the one who answered the phone and talked to those seeking emergency LEO, ambulance, and fire department assistance.

These thoughts keep occurring for me in the Zimmerman case:

Although told to do so by the 911 dispatcher, Zimmerman had no legal obligation to not pursue Martin. (Hindsight in this case is 20/20.) I would think the decision for him to participate was still open to his own personal evaluation, up until the moment police were physically present. After all, his eyes, ears, and instincts are more valid than a someone on the phone. He is certainly responsible for his own actions at all times, and will need to deal with the consequences of his actions.

If he was there and armed, couldn't it be assumed this was part of what was considered his responsibilities? I don't know the answer to that, but it seems that apprehension, detention and/or armed response is certainly in the cards......no?

I'm not making any judgements here.......just commenting on aspects of the case that might be worthy of discussion.

On another note, if Martin was beating on Zimmerman, I doubt the gun was anywhere but concealed until after the physical altercation was under way (It would be foolish to assume Martin began beating on Zimmerman, knowing he was armed.)......I don't know that the gun only came into action after physical battery had started, but if it were the case, it would indicate something for consideration by those who are open to the idea that Zimmerman had planned to shoot Martin all along........can that be assumed?

ooc