First LEO encounter while carrying [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First LEO encounter while carrying

BPStymiest
03-31-2012, 12:25
Got off from my 2nd shift job around 12:30 am and the NC HP had a DWI checkpoint setup outside my building. Gave my DL and CWP to the trooper. He looked at them asked if I had a firearm in my vehicle and if I had been drinking. Told him no and he said. Have a great evening. Not sure what I expected but after reading all the horror stories on here and other forums I was really impressed and he was super cool. Major props to the NC Highway patrol serving the Charlotte area

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

tinman517
03-31-2012, 12:34
Got off from my 2nd shift job around 12:30 am and the NC HP had a DWI checkpoint setup outside my building. Gave my DL and CWP to the trooper. He looked at them asked if I had a firearm in my vehicle and if I had been drinking. Told him no and he said. Have a great evening. Not sure what I expected but after reading all the horror stories on here and other forums I was really impressed and he was super cool. Major props to the NC Highway patrol serving the Charlotte area

When you said, "No", was that in answering the question(s) with regard to having a firearm in the vehicle, drinking or both?

I am assuming it was to the drinking question, since you offered you carry permit.

BPStymiest
03-31-2012, 12:38
That is correct. No to drinking as I had just gotten off work and yes to having a firearm in the vehicle on my person as both NC and SC you have a duty to inform.

marv
03-31-2012, 22:19
If it was me I would have said "yes and no".

marano
04-01-2012, 06:10
I have been a LEO for 21 years. Have stopped encountered many people legally carrying firearms in their vehicle. Mostly on stops for some traffic infraction. Probably many that I did not know had a weapon in the vehicle because it never came up and I did not ask. When it did though, if they were in possession of a pistol permit I checked the permit. Occassionaly I found the permit to be expired and would advise them to get it renewed. I even stopped a few that had a pistol without a permit. If they seemed to be decent people I would just advise them they needed to get a permit and send them on their way. Only time I arrested anyone for not having a permit is if they were seedy, had a criminal history or were taking a ride on another charge.

Instymp
04-01-2012, 06:44
So what happens if you had a couple drinks but were not over the limit, but before drinking you put your gun in the far back of your SUV, out of reach?

Bruce M
04-01-2012, 08:42
Hopefully the gun you had in the car was a Glock :whistling:

mingaa
04-01-2012, 08:50
In MO we are not required to disclose CCW. If they run plates LEO will know. I've played it both ways in all of my two stops since getting CCW 5 years ago. Both times I've received minimal response, answered yes to the firearms question, never been asked what or where and received a positive comment about more people like me carrying on one stop. All good from here.

anubisgodofgods
04-01-2012, 09:01
Its like everything else, you always hear about the bad and never the good. Being in law enforcement for 13 years has helped my BS detection since we hear it all the time and you get good at knowing what is true and what is not true. With that said I can tell you that alot of the stories you read on line are missing information and some are so far out there that it is obvious that they are totaly made up. Their are people on line that are either easily fooled or had a bad experiance in the past and they feed into these stories and keep them going.

roadkill46
04-01-2012, 09:45
i don't tell them anything in AZ. first time i did, dang city cop made me take the GLOCK out, hand it to him with 2 fingers (?), he cleared it, left my round that was in chamber on the ground, the whole time he had his hand on his weapon, ran my truck licenses, VIN, gun S/N, and my permit #. AZ can carry anything you want concealed w/o a permit, but i keep one up to date since i don't have to go through the instacheck and some bars/dining places allow carry inside w/permit but no w/o. ordeal lasted about 30 mins. total tard! i have never even had a traffic ticket!

SCSU74
04-01-2012, 10:24
It's always a good idea to let the office know, but if you choose not to I would just advise to keep your hands in sight and not be digging around. Tends to put us a little on edge :) in my experience it's never the people that tell you they have a weapon that you need to worry about...

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

125K9
04-01-2012, 11:06
So what happens if you had a couple drinks but were not over the limit, but before drinking you put your gun in the far back of your SUV, out of reach?

I've been a road officer/K9 handler(using my personal dogs) since 1990. If I was to stop you and you were under the legal limit, AND could still function okay, I'd send you on your way. If you had a legal driver, who'd not been drinking, as a passenger I'd make you change with them to at least get out of my sight. The few exceptions to this would be if you had a long way to go to get home or were a real jerk/had warrants or license problems. Common sense stuff. Another exception, in Texas if a person's under 21 they're not supposed to be drinking. Again, road experience and common sense come into play.

Falcon5269
04-01-2012, 11:51
We call it commonsense policing. Most cops have it but like with anything else, SOME DON'T!!

I have taken MANY illegal guns off the streets. NEVER have I arrested a law abiding legal carry citizen in my entire career.

Nuff said.

marano
04-01-2012, 12:00
We call it commonsense policing. Most cops have it but like with anything else, SOME DON'T!!

I have taken MANY illegal guns off the streets. NEVER have I arrested a law abiding legal carry citizen in my entire career.

Nuff said.

And the longer your in law enforcement the more idiots you encounter. I despise ignorant people in general but ignorant cops really piss me off.

Falcon5269
04-01-2012, 20:24
And the longer your in law enforcement the more idiots you encounter. I despise ignorant people in general but ignorant cops really piss me off.

You betcha! And it gives the rest of us a bad name!!

Rick O'Shay
04-02-2012, 15:20
In my SC CWP class, we were instructed to go with the flow if we were stopped. Hands visible at all times, respond politely and truthfully. If the officer tosses our shiny new Kimber into the street, then maintain your composure and take it up with his supervisor at a later date. It's HIS dog and pony show at the moment, and anything we might do in opposition to that just escalates the situation. Take it up at a later date with his superiors, and file for damages if they happen. Don't get arrested because you feel violated. During the stop is not the time to seek justice. Make the officer comfortable. Period.

AGAF
04-02-2012, 21:10
There have been a few occasions where I informed LE that I had my permit and was carrying here in Texas. I received nothing but professional, kind, and courteous responses with no incidence whatsoever. I think most LE are this way. Like someone else pointed out; sometimes a bad apple spoils the bunch.

agrech
04-02-2012, 21:30
(since this thread has more than a few LEO's in it) Is it appropriate to thank the officer for being polite about the exchange, assuming he was? Or would I come off as a jerk for doing so?

I haven't had it happen yet, but here in South Dakota I don't believe we HAVE to tell them, although I probably will. Just seems... wrong... to not inform the officer that I have a loaded weapon and the permit to carry it.

So I guess my second question, is it always a good idea to tell them even if your not legally bound to?

Edit: In case it's not obvious I'm still new to this Conceal Carry thing.

USMC Gunner
04-02-2012, 21:51
Either way I believe a police officer would feel 100 times more comfortable if he knew about the weapon instead of running your plates and they think "well he didn't tell me about his CCW he must be trying to hide something"

Falcon5269
04-03-2012, 06:45
Agrech: I always did before I became an LEO but thats a personal issue if ur not required to. Again as I stated in my previous thread, most cops would appreciate it and not give too much thought to ur up front courtesy. (But there are always a few pinheads out there)

Rick OShay: Is correct about ur stop. Don't agitate the LEO any further. If he is a pinhead than take it up with his superiors. Every Department has a civilian complaint policy. If need be, you can pursue that route.

golls17
04-03-2012, 08:16
I have a feeling encounters like yours happen very frequently. We just never hear about them because they're all in a day's work. It's the angry folk who feel violated (whether the officer was right or wrong) that we ALWAYS hear about. If the officer is wrong (I mean, actually wrong, not just wrong in the eyes of the person complaining), then yes, we should hear about it. If the officer was within his lawful authority and it's just somebody complaining, then move along, folks, nothing to see here...

Roger1079
04-03-2012, 09:13
I have been stopped twice with a pistol in the car, both times for speeding. Although there is no duty to inform in FL, as a courtesy to the officer, I always make it known there is a weapon in the car.

The first stop, I was a passenger. After taking the drivers license and registration, but before he walked away:

"Officer, I want to make you aware there is a firearm in the vehicle."

"Where is it?"

"In a holster on my side."

"Do you have a CCW permit?"

"Yes sir."

"Thank you for informing me. I will be right back."

After 2 minutes he came back from his car.

"Driver, keep it at the speed limit next time. Have a good day."

The second, I was pulled over for speeding by myself. Officer comes up to my window and asks for my license. He also asks if there are any weapons in the car. I replied yes. He asked where.

I told him it was holstered in the center console. He asked if it was loaded. My resonse was yes, with one in the chamber.

The next part surprised me and actually made me a bit uneasy. The officer asked me to open the console and hand him the pistol. I did so with quite a bit of apprehension. I couldn't believe the officer was asking me to reach into my console and hand him a loaded gun.

I did as he asked. He unholstered the pistol, dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and handed the mag and ammo back to me which again surprised me. He told me if all came back good on the pistol I would be free to go.

I put my hands back on the wheel where they normally are during a traffic stop and he came back 5 minutes later with my G30 field stripped. He assembled it in front of me and handed it back. He told me "Take your hands off the wheel and stop being nervous. Nice Glock by the way, I have one of my own. Please wait until I pull away before you reload it. Have a good one and slow the hell down."

My personal feeling ont he matter is that on a traffic stop, a LEO never knows what he could be walking into. Offering the information that a weapon is in the car even if you are not asked is always a good practice in my eyes simply because the honesty will put the officer more at ease. I actually believe that during the first stop, it actually may have helped the driver out of the ticket.

Bill Lumberg
04-03-2012, 11:38
How could you and why would you, if they were law abiding and legal? (a double down, I suppose) NEVER have I arrested a law abiding legal carry citizen in my entire career.

noway
04-03-2012, 20:46
I have been stopped twice with a pistol in the car, both times for speeding. Although there is no duty to inform in FL, as a courtesy to the officer, I always make it known there is a weapon in the car.

The first stop, I was a passenger. After taking the drivers license and registration, but before he walked away:

"Where is it?"

"Yes sir."

The second, I was pulled over for speeding by myself. Officer comes up to my window and asks for my license. He also asks if there are any weapons in the car. I replied yes. He asked where.

I told him it was holstered in the center console. He asked if it was loaded. My resonse was yes, with one in the chamber.

The next part surprised me and actually made me a bit uneasy. The officer asked me to open the console and hand him the pistol. I did so with quite a bit of apprehension. I couldn't believe the officer was asking me to reach into my console and hand him a loaded gun.

I did as he asked. He unholstered the pistol, dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and handed the mag and ammo back to me which again surprised me. He told me if all came back good on the pistol I would be free to go.

I put my hands back on the wheel where they normally are during a traffic stop and he came back 5 minutes later with my G30 field stripped. He assembled it in front of me and handed it back. He told me "Take your hands off the wheel and stop being nervous. Nice Glock by the way, I have one of my own. Please wait until I pull away before you reload it. Have a good one and slow the hell down."

My personal feeling ont he matter is that on a traffic stop, a LEO never knows what he could be walking into. Offering the information that a weapon is in the car even if you are not asked is always a good practice in my eyes simply because the honesty will put the officer more at ease. I actually believe that during the first stop, it actually may have helped the driver out of the ticket.

Sounds like a very stupid officer. I wonder what PD/SO did this ?

kneedragger45
04-03-2012, 21:42
In NY you do/not have to disclose. I would choose to. I recently took an NRA personal protection inside and outside the home course. During the penal law section the officer blatantly stated he did.not want to be notified a person was carrying, if so he would remove said person and weapon from the vehicle and shake them down. WTF kind of response was that!? When asked by a student why that was he replied "im not your friend, my job is to get home alive ". What a tool! Its cops like him that give the good.ones a bad rap.

Boogiefan
04-03-2012, 22:13

"Where is it?"

"Yes sir."

That's a little strange him stripping down your glock. Makes me wonder if he needed a newer barrel or guide rod...:pirates:

Spike52
04-03-2012, 22:59
Forgive me if I wax opinionated.

If your state requires the volunteer of information concerning the presence of a firearm, volunteer it, truthfully and correctly. If not, I see no reason to potentially highten stress needlessly. Cops have stressful enough lives. They have wives and kids, like a good banana pudding and a well made meatloaf, just like me. If I am a law abiding citizen who happens to carry a gun, so what? My right to do so was enumerated in the very second amendment to our Constitution hundreds of years ago. It's no big deal, unless you buy into the hype and hypersensitivity.

First of all, try not to speed. If your pulled for speeding, be respectful to the authority of the badge, do what the nice officer says and follow the law of your state.

-S

Falcon5269
04-04-2012, 08:12
How could you and why would you, if they were law abiding and legal? (a double down, I suppose)

Well thats the point. Bad guys don't pay attention to laws that pinhead politicians create. Only good folks do. So who gets penalized?.... good guys.

yes a double down. lol

Roger1079
04-04-2012, 09:40
Sounds like a very stupid officer. I wonder what PD/SO did this ?I assume you mean the second stop since the first one was event free. That stop was by BSO.

Roger1079
04-04-2012, 09:44
That's a little strange him stripping down your glock. Makes me wonder if he needed a newer barrel or guide rod...:pirates:I didnt see the need for him to field strip it either since all serial numbers are visible assembled, but I didn't question it. He was letting me go without a ticket when I was 10 over the speed limit, so I didn't give it a second thought. If he did happen to change the guide rod, it hasnt made any difference. 1000 rounds or so later and everything still works fine.